Thai hotel seeks deal with guest facing jail over bad reviews

snoop1130

10 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

why?  why does he have any right to bring in drinks to a restaurant?  absurd

Why dont he ends the low activity then by also bringing his food to the restaurant, in any htl room he may stay any where not a problem, the guy has no education that is simple, he doesnt own either the htl, and the slavery act is more on his side to treat waiter like he did obviously ... 

1 hour ago, camble said:

It's not unusual to bring your own bottle into a restaurant in Thailand as many places don't stock quality spirits. I see Thais do this all the time. And if you were gouged 6000 baht for a room just because you were a walk-in, it's not unreasonable to request any corkage fees be waived. 

They did waive the corkage fee. According to you the man therefore has no complaint. 

1 hour ago, camble said:

It's not unusual to bring your own bottle into a restaurant in Thailand as many places don't stock quality spirits. I see Thais do this all the time. And if you were gouged 6000 baht for a room just because you were a walk-in, it's not unreasonable to request any corkage fees be waived. 

No price gouging if the special one  had checked hotel listings before he arrived he would have found hotels prices upto 11,000 baht for 1 night if he didn't like the price he had the option to go to another hotel as he did mention that he access to a car

no harm is asking for corkage fees to be waived but he didn't seem to be aware that most hotels do have a corkage charge

2 hours ago, pkrv said:

I am coming to the opinion that TA and the other booking sites like Agoda, Booking etc. should carry some form of warning that writing a review of your opinion or experience could lead to legal action in some countries and/or circumstances.

Reviews and feedback should be important: to let businesses know what they are doing well and where that can improve.

They could simply quote relevant extracts from Sections 326 and 330 of the Thai Criminal Code. 

Anyone can read them, just use Google. 

44 minutes ago, rott said:

They did waive the corkage fee. According to you the 

The complaint was about the rude staff. It has since been validted. I think this guy is a nut, and the hotel is even worse. They deserve each other. 

Boycot the Sea View Koh Chang hotel. Don t visit. Don t go near it . Don t look their face  don t reserve their Room. Bad Ceck Manager. 

they will do nothing againt the Americain because  he is right and he is americain

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, vinny41 said:

No price gouging if the special one  had checked hotel listings before he arrived he would have found hotels prices upto 11,000 baht for 1 night if he didn't like the price he had the option to go to another hotel as he did mention that he access to a car

no harm is asking for corkage fees to be waived but he didn't seem to be aware that most hotels do have a corkage charge

"Like it or lump it!" What a business motto to operate under.

1 minute ago, John Drake said:

"Like it or lump it!" What a business motto to operate under.

"Like it or lump it!" The customer has a choice accepted it or try and find something cheaper

Every other business operates the same way, if your looking for reasonable cost flights book early, if you prefer booking at the last minute prepared to pay over the odds or try and find a cheaper option

5 hours ago, Seeall said:

An old mostly ignored issue.... not just officially....  LOOK, how many good Thai business operate wrong but yet no one tells them because its not done???  and so the business keeps on doing the wrong thing not making money.....  Like the new pizza place here... its fine... but so much sugar its not a pizza, but no one will tell them and now hardly anyone goes there... see?

which brings one back to the cute little thai idiosyncrasy of "losing face " where a thai can lie and mug off a farang ,but should a farang dare answer back they,re bang out of order because it causes the thai to " loose  face " can,t seem to work the rules out on that subject.

On 10/2/2020 at 10:23 AM, Sydebolle said:

The damage is done and the hotel is toast; the Thai tourism industry just got another very big blow and TripAdvisor might want to reconsider its entire system. And, if you're at it; get the big mop and do some proper spring cleaning on those ridiculous laws. 

Agoda or Booking.com; just to name two, opens a review window only once the product is 1) purchased and 2) after the departure of the guest. Hardly anyone buys a hotel room just to smear their reputation. 

Different with TripAdvisor; any Tom, Dick and Harry can leave a review on/about anything without even proving ever having been there. Reviews get posted without screening, any reaction by the venue operator though is screened. If it does not please TripAdvisors screening team, the venue operator's answer is not published. 

The boy will walk and leave Thailand with a nice compensation by the hotel, after all he got apparently fired over the incident and will not be able to find an adequate employ in Thailand anytime soon ...... 

Wondering if either party learnt anything from this most ridiculous embarrassing incident? 

TA reviews are screened. I had a dinner in a restaurant in a group of 7. Later I had diarrhea. Turned out there was one dish that only I ate. i mentioned this in my review, which other than the mention of diarrhea was actually positive. TA contacted me and asked if I really wanted to say this in my review. I decided not to. I was pretty damn sure it was the cause, but not 100%, so I removed it.

Edited by Older and Wiser
I would add that I assume some autocheck which highlights certain words or phrases is used to detect adverse comments, like "diarrhea".

17 hours ago, Don Mega said:

You think it was an honest review ?

I suppose in this guys mind he was being honest about his feelings towards the way he was treated.

This should never have got this far this industry is called the hospitality industry for a reason if you are inhospitable to your guests then they leave a bad review which in their opinion is just an honest opinion of their feelings towards the service they received. That is how feedback sites work.

People in this sector should remember the saying customer is always right in this game and you certainly don't call your cop buddies to jail you customer for remarking about what the customer perceived as bad service.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, pkrv said:

Yes very much so. I have for years written honest reviews on TripAdvisor as I do read the reviews of others to get a (hopefully) informed opinion of what to expect from a hotel, restaurant, experience, etc. I had heard of the defamation laws in Thailand, but this particular case has made me more aware of how these can be used - or misused - in order to address grievances whether real, imagined, or fabricated.

And while I like to give back something for what I learned, in the form of my own reviews, it seems that the potential to fall foul of the defamation laws means that it's really not worth it.

So ultimately anyone I might review is now at a loss, whether I would rate them 1 star or 5 star. Of course in the grand scheme of things my reviews aren't important at all, but it is unfortunate that I feel I cannot contribute anymore without fear or favour for Thai businesses.

If you look at hotel reviews all over Thailand you'll see there are bad reviews and nobody has gone to jail. I dont agree with the law or the actions of the hotel. However, the guy did seem to keep posting bad reviews weeks later.  That's not right on his part, but the hotel went way too far to.

5 hours ago, misterjames said:

People in this sector should remember the saying customer is always right in this game and you certainly don't call your cop buddies to jail you customer for remarking about what the customer perceived as bad service.

From what I read this dumb American was given several "get out of jail" opprtunities by the hotel when they attempted to reconcile the situation but the American ignored them.......

What bad service did this American receive ?

Absolutely terrible that they waived the corkage fee after he had a whinge about.... terrible terrible service!!

• Sad 2

trip adviser need to protect their clients with updates on terms and conditions if they want real reviews. on the other hand if someone sets out with fake reviews to destroy someones business then the business needs protection also

slaps the freedom of speech that we are appreicate in the face.

On another point I read that this hotel is a small run one, I would be asking how they have coped with Covid and the lack of customers, but still employ foreigners with big salaries!!! Either a very rich owner or need the money so going after those who give them bad reviews

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, beano2274 said:

slaps the freedom of speech that we are appreicate in the face.

On another point I read that this hotel is a small run one, I would be asking how they have coped with Covid and the lack of customers, but still employ foreigners with big salaries!!! Either a very rich owner or need the money so going after those who give them bad reviews

The name escapes me but allegedly the owner of the resort rubs shoulders with Dhanin Chearavanont, the CEO of CP Group.

read on agoda some bad reivews of the hotel, have never heard of them going after those who posted bad reviews there, ranging from rooms being bad with dampness in the room, towels not clean to the management having no skills at all.

Must say that the breakfast seems to get very good reviews

Edited by beano2274

2 hours ago, beano2274 said:

read on agoda some bad reivews of the hotel, have never heard of them going after those who posted bad reviews there, ranging from rooms being bad with dampness in the room, towels not clean to the management having no skills at all.

Must say that the breakfast seems to get very good reviews

Maybe the guest that left them reviews are not here in Thailand

I have posted reviews of a couple, of cheap hotels in Sukhumvit Soi headlining them as 'Fire risk death trap' together with statement of why they are death traps like no alarm systems, flammable wooden stairs as the only exit and fire extinguishers out of date by 15 years or more. (It was New Year and the only ones with free rooms)

Does that expose me to 5 years jail next time I visit?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, PeeJayEm said:

I have posted reviews of a couple, of cheap hotels in Sukhumvit Soi headlining them as 'Fire risk death trap' together with statement of why they are death traps like no alarm systems, flammable wooden stairs as the only exit and fire extinguishers out of date by 15 years or more. (It was New Year and the only ones with free rooms)

Does that expose me to 5 years jail next time I visit?

Did you post them whilst still in Thailand ?