Two students killed as giant truck slips on wet road, hitting school van from behind

snoop1130

No braking until it was too late; typical Thai mentality, me first i'm bigger.  Mini-Bus driver being as dumb as a brick still doesn't understand that driving with Kids on board is something to 'think' about and therefore take extra care when approaching such junctions, especially when it's raining.

RIP those innocents lost.

• Like 1

I watched this crash on Thairath Tv this morning and it was nothing like the report above the collision was at a  cross road (4ways)  the truck hit the school bus from the side with no attempt to stop  not the back after skidding in the rain as reported above.

Last thing the report showed  brought a tear to my eyes, the family of one of the 2 kids killed had already bought him a birthday cake for when he got back from school  they light candles on the cake and brought it to him in his coffin whilst singing

"happy birthday"

• Sad 2

15 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Thats the impression i got when I watched it over and over again as well @metisdead

I agree, but the school bus should have slowed down. It looks like both vehicles had clear vision of each other well before the collision. Another example of the 'Me first' syndrome? RIP and condolences to the parents who entrusted their children to a Thai driver. Very sad but a not unusual occurrence.

17 hours ago, seajae said:

truck was running the red light, never braked till after he hit, nothing to do with the wet road, nothing new in Thailand, truck drivers think they are in a racing car, they all drive way too fast then blame the brakes/rain or other vehivcle(especially if they kill everyone in it) when they do this sort of sh*t, on the way home today a big truck ran through a red light well after we had the green light and we had to swerve to avoid being t boned. Truck driver should be charged for the deaths and injuries due to his total negligence but as usual a wai plus a BS excuse & he will walk away. When are the police actually going to clamp down on these cowboy truck drivers, they need speed limiters and regular safety checks, proper driver training would make a huge difference as well but TOT, it will never happen.

Not only truck drivers thinking they are in in a racing car, many motorbike drivers who driving a car, 'thinking' the same, nowadays.

......and this land just stops because of covid!

I don't think I should be able to see the only improvement anymore.

Unbelievable what a country.

I think after living here for more than 20 years, it is allowed to say that.

Edited by Peterphuket

21 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I can hear the driver now "My brakes did not work right, the truck just slid instead of the brakes working". 

How about this "you slammed on the brakes because you were driving to fast, locking up the tires and then hydroplaning out of control into the side of the van, and ending the lives of 2 young students while injuring many more".  I think The truck needs to be inspected, the tires checked to see if they were near serviceable limits, check the drivers hours to see if he was fatigued, or better yet check his phone.  Ok, yes I am outraged, as a 31 year career Traffic officer in the US, I have seen this plenty of times.  The driver should have been arrested at the scene, and taken to a hospital where he could have been tested to ensure no drugs or such were in his system as well.

RIP children, and many prayers with your families.  Parents should never loose a children before they themselves pass on.

Just looked at the video in the link in the Nation.  The van had a flashing yellow light and the Big Rig tractor trailer combination had a red light.  It actually appears that the truck driver never braked until impact with the left side of the school van. Total negligence from what I see on the trucks driver.

Well said sir

The moronic actions of two drivers cost the lives of innocent children yet again. 

The Van driver could have easily seen the oncoming truck yet didn’t stop.

The articulated truck driver could have easily seen the oncoming can yet didn’t stop.

Both drivers assumed the other would stop, or both were not paying attention. 

All it would have taken was one of the drivers to act responsibly to avoid the loss of innocent lives. 

So, typical in Thailand - families torn apart by the actions of idiots. 

• Like 1

I was watching all of the people that were supposed to be watching the driver’s education video at the License office.  Not one of about 40 people were watching.  They were sleeping, or on their phones.

Edited by Redline

9 minutes ago, Redline said:

I was watching all of the people that were supposed to be watching the driver’s education video at the License office.  Not one of about 40 people were watching.  They were sleeping, or on their phones.

And so they missed the important part as well as all of the crashes.

1 hour ago, Redline said:

This, I say for years!

And as a foreigner do not dare to withdraw from it.

When I read the headlines, I thought the lorry ran into the back of the van. On the same road, in the same lane.

Now I see the van was teeboned, by a lorry whose driver has a flashing red on his road. The van driver had a flashing amber. The van had priority, I agree, but it seems to me, that he did not assume the lorry would not stop.but

The lorry driver, on the other hand, with the flashing red light did not stop, nor, it seems to me, was any attempt made to slow down. It seems to me that lorry driver did not see the van, or, if he saw it, assumed it would stop as he was going too fast to stop and would not be stopping as he is the bigger vehicle. From what I saw in the video, the van stopped the lorry. The lorry driver stopped at least 2 people's lives.

No more flashing lights at junctions, make them all proximity sensor too. Sitting at a red light for 3 minutes when there is no traffic coming from other directions makes no sense.

• Like 1