is 20,000 baht still the maximum for extreme overstay ?

If someone overstays for a few years;  Is it still 20,000 baht fine at Suvarnabhumi Airport upon exiting Thailand?

or has it changed in any way?

Someone told me that the rules for overstaying has changed.

I am not sure if they were talking about the 20,000 baht fine, or if they were talking about some other aspect of the overstay rules.

PS:  How necessary is the Application for Departure?  (attached below)

If you try to leave Thailand without one, will you be refused exit? or do you just fill in a form at the airport?

Visa-Amnesty-Extension-768x1024.jpg.6271ca91577fb8248ca7b0a981ed569f.jpg

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, bluebird729 said:

How necessary is the Application for Departure?  (attached below)

If you try to leave Thailand without one, will you be refused exit? or do you just fill in a form at the airport?

You are confusing 2 different things. The application for extension is mentioned as a way to stay in Thailand for another year. if one is on overstay , you will be flagged at the departure booth and either pay up or go to IDC. Depending on the length of your overstay, you may be banned for a period of time.

20K is the maximum fine

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tonray said:

You are confusing 2 different things. The application for extension is mentioned as a way to stay in Thailand for another year. if one is on overstay , you will be flagged at the departure booth and either pay up or go to IDC. Depending on the length of your overstay, you may be banned for a period of time.

20K is the maximum fine

Ok, so there is no special form to leave Thailand.

The overstayed person just needs to go to Suvarnabhumi, Pay the 20,000 fine, and leave.

There is nothing new, and nothing has changed.

- Is that correct ?

12 minutes ago, bluebird729 said:

Ok, so there is no special form to leave Thailand.

The overstayed person just needs to go to Suvarnabhumi, Pay the 20,000 fine, and leave.

There is nothing new, and nothing has changed.

- Is that correct ?

You will be directed to the overstay desk, paperwork signed, and an overtstay stamp put in your passport. Once you get that stamp...you can then head back to the departure booths and exit.

3 hours ago, tonray said:

You will be directed to the overstay desk, paperwork signed, and an overtstay stamp put in your passport. Once you get that stamp...you can then head back to the departure booths and exit.

You don't have to go back to the immigration booth. The guy you pay the fine to, is also an immigration officer. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The maximum fine is still 20,000 baht.

But a overstay of more than 90 days results in a one year ban from entering the country. More than a year is 3 years. More than 3 years is 5 years.

Thank you.,

I also thought that nothing much had changed. But some guy I spoke to was very insistent that it had just got much stricter recently; So I wanted to check it here in ThaiVisa.

Obviously the guy was wrong.

Thank you ????

5 minutes ago, bluebird729 said:

Thank you.,

I also thought that nothing much had changed. But some guy I spoke to was very insistent that it had just got much stricter recently; So I wanted to check it here in ThaiVisa.

Obviously the guy was wrong.

Thank you ????

Well, maybe he was talking the period of time that a person can be banned from reentry to Thailand.    That change occurred in early 2016 and the way time flies (especially when you get older) maybe 4 to 5 years ago seemed recent to the guy.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, bluebird729 said:

very insistent that it had just got much stricter recently...Obviously the guy was wrong.

I would say he was not wrong. Before the changes that happened a couple of years or so ago you didn't get black listed for 10 years whereas now you can be in certain situations. That seems much stricter in my eyes.

Edited by Hamus Yaigh
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was told an anecdotal reports that ppl are forced to pay 20'000 thb plus 50 extra baht for every overstayed day, e.g. one my friend paid 27500 when departed from Samui several years ago. Could be a local "fine" though with only 20k being official.

2 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

Being blacklisted isn't any big deal.

When you get home, simply legally change your name, then get a new passport and plastic surgery before returning on a Visa Exemption. 

Just change your passport as we all look the same to them!

2 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

Being blacklisted isn't any big deal.

When you get home, simply legally change your name, then get a new passport and plastic surgery before returning on a Visa Exemption. 

In this COVID world of the new normal above would be the "easy" part; the hard part would then trying to get a COE to reenter Thailand--heck, even the Thai govt is having a heck of time figuring out their own COE rules.  :w00t:

6 hours ago, fdsa said:

I was told an anecdotal reports that ppl are forced to pay 20'000 thb plus 50 extra baht for every overstayed day, e.g. one my friend paid 27500 when departed from Samui several years ago. Could be a local "fine" though with only 20k being official.

Had a few months overstay in samui and went to Singapore to get a new visa . Guy at airport looked at passport and said you stay long time , I said yes I stay with my wife and own property here . He done some paperwork and asked me to sign a receipt for the 20,000bht and gave me back the passport . Asked when I return and I said about three days , he didn’t bat an eyelid and said thank you .