American expat avoids jail for negative review - reaches settlement with Koh Chang hotel

webfact

9 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The regime has once again decided to protect the bigger guy, over the smaller guy. This will not go over well, internationally. Everyone will see right through this badly engineered PR stunt. When faced with jail, and who knows what else, many of us would prefer to "apologize". 

The guy was a complete jerk, petty and arrogant for his comments, it's tough enough for any business to succeed at any time without the extra burden that the pandemic has placed on the hospitality industry, he got off very lightly in my opinion

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Greatest embarrassment goes to all those TVF members who thought Mr Barnes was holding all the aces's in his hand and would walk away with a massive payment

Don't think anybody thought he held all the aces, do think petty thin skinned Thai hi-so's have confirmed to the world's press that they are dominated by face and really, really dim

It's without doubt going to have an affect on the Hotel and TaT in general, how they can get so bent out of shape over an idiot making a negative review is the real headline

Somebody earlier stated they had underestimated the hotels stupidity gotta add me to that list the sheer short-sightedness is mind boggling but unfortunately not that surprising... 

10 hours ago, petermik said:

Lying toe rag lucky to get off so lightly....mouth bigger than his brain....som nom na....:thumbsup:

I dont think so,i would say he was coerced into agreeing to this statement under threat of being deported,otherwise he would have told them to P**s Off.

In true Brains Trust Fashion they want him to contact the World Media with this BS,thinking that it is going to save face,and tourists will use this hotel again,i am sure by now that it will already be struck off most tourists list of hotels in Koh Chang.

TIT.

• Like 1

Just now, Advocate said:

This American guy was extremely lucky the hotel owner is not vindictive.

It was clear his reviews were malicious lies, and slander.

Ha, ha, not vindictive? you have got to be joking...

Rofl, he has damaged his business and tourism in general all because of his inability to take any form of criticism

A typical small pecker self obsessed man-child who is so dim they cannot see what an absolute laughing stock he has made of himself

????????   

I have to imagine that NO review of anything or anyplace in Thailand can be taken without a grain of salt.  Every review is done at the threat of Thai prison, maybe.  Good or Bad review it was written under duress is your best guess.

Edited by IAMHERE
add weasel words ; Thai Comput Law (TCL)

Seems to me like this- The guy goes into a restaurant and is outraged that he can't bring in his own drink without a fairly stiff corkage fee, so he decides to "get even" and now it turns out that he is faced to realize what an <deleted> he has been. Where in the civilized world can you bring in your own drink without paying a fee? In most countries you would not even be allowed to bring in your own booze, no matter what. After all, the restaurant owner is attempting to make a living! So for instance, in Manhattan (a fairly large city) you would quickly be told "No way" and you would be free to leave of course, but their is not a restaurant in all of Manhattan that will allow you to bring in your own alcohol, even with a corkage fee. 

Imagine going into a ribs restaurant and brining your own ribs, and just wanting to order a salad and fries!!

Do I agree with the guy getting arrested?

No.

But this only happened because he was an <deleted>.

JUST my opinion of course!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, webfact said:

The restaurant manager was called and he allowed the guest not to pay. 

However, from June 29th Mr Barnes started posting damaging reviews and comments on foreign sites and a great deal of websites.

If this was what happened, Mr Barns was a real idiot. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jake72 said:

I can just imagine the headlines in mainstream media around the world: "American tourist forced to apologize for negative hotel review to avoid jail"

If any western mainstream media claims he was forced to say he lied, they may get sued by Mr Wesley Barnes.

This is SO much fun isn't it?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ronaldo0 said:

He will probably leave the country for good now and tell every press reporter he can his story and post the reviews again ! ????

"There's no need to watch the bridges that we're burning" - from "For the Good times" by Kris Kristofferson

17 minutes ago, The Theory said:
12 hours ago, webfact said:

The restaurant manager was called and he allowed the guest not to pay. 

However, from June 29th Mr Barnes started posting damaging reviews and comments on foreign sites and a great deal of websites.

If this was what happened, Mr Barns was a real idiot.

This is indeed what happened so yes, Mr. Barnes was a plonker.

Isn't it funny how he has appeared to garner the support of a whole slew of plonkers on here?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Redline said:

Too late, Thailand has been exposed~another hit on tourism

I'm not so sure. In a few months, this will be forgotten. Maybe some of you living in Thailand will remember it and not visit the hotel. But it seems that some are curious and want to spend the night there. I constantly read in newspapers and watch TV about many tourists who are dissatisfied with staying in hotels in other countries, including Spain and Greece. Tourists do not stop going there for that.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, michaellee said:

Som Nam Na!! Wow this guy is truly disgruntled over a 500b fee. I thought it was just the tripadvisor and other hotel review site. This guy took it to the next level of writing it to the Cnn, bbc and abc news channel as well. Total entitlement idiot. 

He didn't initially write to any news outlets, just posted 4 reviews online on dedicated websites. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyone that runs a service business has been subjected to unwarranted reviews. When booking a hotel or looking at a restaurant review, there is always a stinker in the pile, even in mostly 5 star rated  businesses.

One has to consider the big picture when evaluating on line reviews.  Of course, there could have been a legitimate bad experience. What generates bad reviews? Perhaps a disgruntled employee writing anonymously or someone looking for something for nothing; that is, if they are offered a freebie to make them go away. 
Regardless, the business owner is stuck with these illegitimate reviews forever and is simply part of doing business nowadays. There is basically no recourse for an owner to remove a bad review.  And if there is, it is usually not worth one’s time to pursue that course.

11 hours ago, trucking said:

Not in any of the scores of Thai hotels I have stayed in.  Not once been asked for corkage in 40 years.

Same when I go to ihop I get a drink from the supermarket. As their drink prices are way to high. It's like 60 baht or so per drink no refill or anything. Why would I want to pay 120-200 baht for drink at ihop when I can go to the supermarket and get more then enough drink for under 40. Just don't make sense. Sometimes restaurants can only blame themselves by charging way too much for drinks. No I don't expect a drink at a restaurant to be as cheap as 7eleven but at the same time if you are charging like the same price for 4l per drink on soda and so on that's way too much and unresonanable. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rkidlad said:

So he’s trolling. 

Whether you agree with the outcome or not, the headlines read that a man was jailed for writing bad reviews of a hotel in Thailand. And that’s all many tourists or potential tourists will take from it. 

That in itself is very damaging. The actions of the hotel and police were way over the top and this could have been nipped in the bud far more easily. 

In a few months nobody will remember.. foreign tourism is closed anyway.. so the hotel isn't losing anything 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, warcy said:

The problem is not about writing a single bad review, the problem is reporting fake comments on multiple websites and same website over many weeks just to defame that hotel.

If the comment is genuine, it's acceptable but not when it's full of malice and half-truth.

You have missed the point. A genuine bad review may be acceptable in your view, but who would now try that when they have knowledge of this case.

• Like 1