Wife passed away. Visa options?

Hello,

A friend of mine's wife passed away a few months ago. His Non-O extension is due to expire in February. Anyone out there have experience with this as I don't. What would be his options both in the short and long term? FYI, I don't think he has the 800,000 nor 65,000 per month to qualify for a retirement visa.

Thanks in advance,

Mizzi

45 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Does he have any children from the marriage. That would be another option for his extension.

If not a extension based upon retirement may be his only option. If he cannot meet the income requirement he could use the combination of income and money in the bank to reach a total of 800k baht.

He has a stepdaughter, who is an adult, but I don't think he ever legally adopted her. I will pass on the info. Thanks.

24 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, you have best option in post #2.

He already has the non O in place so only needs agent to cover the money in bank.

Perhaps someone can advise you re cost.

My guess is less than 20k

I have a multiple entry O and was able to extend my visa because I'm employed. Since the borders are still closed that was the easiest  option for me

Even if he has the O in place would he still be required to change his status based on retirement or are there other options? 

Edited by mizzi39
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Even with the changes of how long the money has to be in the bank, can he not borrow the money from his Thai family? That's how I covered the requirements initially till I was able to fund the 800,000 myself.

He could if they had it. We still don't know what method he was using for his extension based upon marriage.

That is why I mentioned the combination option if he had the income and money in the bank.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

He could if they had it. We still don't know what method he was using for his extension based upon marriage.

That is why I mentioned the combination option if he had the income and money in the bank.

He was using 400,000 but that, I believe, has depleted since his wife's passing.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mizzi39 said:

He was using 400,000 but that, I believe, has depleted since his wife's passing.

Even if he had 400k for retirement he needs 800k and that is in bank 2 months prior then 3 months post then not below 400k after that. All that = Agent.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mizzi39 said:

He needs to consider all his options and have the money in the bank by December to have it in the bank for 2 months when he applies in February.

If his has some amount of income that would help. If he is from a country whose embassy still provided income that would help.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, mizzi39 said:

Where is he staying? The price for an agent differs a lot. I know people using agents every year for a retirement extension when they don't meet the financial requirement but all the rest. They pay 12,5k which is imo a very good price. Then I know people paying 20k and even more at other agencies. 

My condolences to your friend.  This country has no compassion for those of us married to its citizens.  We support our families, then after the death of our spouse it's - "Get out" as their is no respect for the sanctity of the marriage between a foreign man and a Thai woman unlike most other countries.  Sad.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, connda said:

My condolences to your friend.  This country has no compassion for those of us married to its citizens.  We support our families, then after the death of our spouse it's - "Get out" as their is no respect for the sanctity of the marriage between a foreign man and a Thai woman unlike most other countries.  Sad.

Not always, see my post #13

• Thanks 1

Sorry for his loss.. This happened to me back in about 03.. 

When I went to immigration they told me I had technically just 7 days to leave the country.. But as they would be 'nice' to me I could use out the rest of my extension. 

I hope he manages to find an answer, having had it happen once, its why I consider investing time and money to take an income and get on the PR processes. 

• Like 1

Just now, ubonjoe said:

It is in writing now that if your wife dies your extension will be valid until it expires. 

Yeah given my wife had passed in large part due to the negligence of a hospital, I do remember the entire thing with a large helping of distaste.. The 'oh you should leave now, but you know, we will be extra generous and allow you a couple of months' didnt go down wonderfully. 

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, ThaidDown said:

Around three years ago the wife of a friend of ours died after 20+ years of marriage. The husband had been on a marriage extension for all of those years showing a pension in excess of 40K Baht / month but less than 65K.

Similar to the OP s friend he was at a loss what to do. Long story short.. after discussing with my wife the powers of a senior Immigration Officer to forego some requirements, friend, wife and myself went to Immigration and spoke to the Boss. Left all the talking to wife who put the case in her normal forceful but polite tone . Eventually, after some discussion, IO agreed and signed off the Retirement extension with the less than 65K/m income.

Note...No additional money was suggested, offered ,asked for or given.

So, in the OPs friend case first choice would be go to Imm with a Thai who is not cowed by officialdom and put the strong case for an exemption.

It is rare that officials will use their discretion in this way without graft being involved. That official must have been at a genuinely senior level, I think. My understanding is that the senior official at even a small office has the power to waive seasoning, but actually lowering or totally waiving financial requirements is a discretion only given to very senior officials.

10 hours ago, ThaidDown said:

Around three years ago the wife of a friend of ours died after 20+ years of marriage. The husband had been on a marriage extension for all of those years showing a pension in excess of 40K Baht / month but less than 65K.

Similar to the OP s friend he was at a loss what to do. Long story short.. after discussing with my wife the powers of a senior Immigration Officer to forego some requirements, friend, wife and myself went to Immigration and spoke to the Boss. Left all the talking to wife who put the case in her normal forceful but polite tone . Eventually, after some discussion, IO agreed and signed off the Retirement extension with the less than 65K/m income.

Note...No additional money was suggested, offered ,asked for or given.

I find it gratifying to see that there are some Thai immigration officials who

a) exercise common sense; and

b) have a heart.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, gamini said:

of a retirement Visa.

I thought that Thai Visa is not allowed to post illegal practices.

For someone with many posts you are very naive. Your post will attract many laughs.

Fact is that agents are not "secret agents" lurking around immigration offices. Most are registered companies with offices that resemble tour offices. 

Along with their websites, Facebook etc and some on Thaivisa. Did you arrive yesterday?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1