Retirement Visa and Extension Thereof Expired

Because of the entry restriction to Thailand, lots of foreign retired people, with non-immigrant "O" and "OA" are having their extensions expire, while outside of Thailand. Some of these people were on the old 300,000 THB in bank qualification system.

Will there be anyway to return or get re-instated to a retirement visa/extension, either the 300K or 800K in the bank qualification, without having to start the process from the beginning again, when the borders open?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

Will there be anyway to return or get re-instated to a retirement visa/extension, either the 300K or 800K in the bank qualification, without having to start the process from the beginning again, when the borders open?

There doesn't appear to be any plans for those that have had or will have expired extensions.

They will have to start all over again when they are able to return to the country.

They are now allowing those with valid OA visas to get a certificate of entry to enter the country or apply for one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They will have to start with a new visa.

Considering that people who still benefited from the 200k rule are at least 72 years old, there are probably not many of them who lost this benefit due to having been out of the country.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, twix38 said:

I don't have a Thai partner and rent a house. I am in UK. I have retirement visa based on non imm O.  I dont really mind if i stop living in thailand for my usual 6+ months a year.

If by the time I can go back I have lost my retirement visa I will NOT reapply. Screw them! I will no longer help support the thai economy by spending my money and renting a house. Instead I will visit on VOA when able and send my funds back to UK and travel to closer warm climates in winter. 

If under covid circumstances there is no allowance made for those of us who would need to start the process all over again then I am very content to end my relationship with Thailand. Ending has some benefits and this would be the push to make my decision after 20 years quite an easy one. I can take Thailand or leave it and have no thais hee hee

Good luck to you in the COVID-19-riddled UK then!

I beleive it unfair that holders of valid extensions of stay are trapped outside of Thailand and unable to renew their extension due to being barred from re-entry (or if married, not being able to jump through all the hoops and costs of repatriation, covid tests, covid insurance and overpriced quarantine hotels). I split my time between UK/Thailand and have a valid extension until May 2021 and don't want to risk starting all over again so decided to stay here in Thailand until it can be renewed (nothing for me in the UK business wise anyway and life is miserable there from what friends/family are telling me). Surely there should be an concession from Thai Immigration for those of valid visas and extensions who cannot return to Thailand (same as the tourist amnesty)? 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Surely there should be an concession from Thai Immigration for those of valid visas and extensions who cannot return to Thailand (same as the tourist amnesty)? 

One would like to think so but no guarantees. I am hopeful that the next category that opens up to a COE will be those on current Extensions and Re-Entry Permits. Subsequently, a  ways down the road, those whose extensions expired during Covid restrictions are given Non-Imm_O Visas efficiently, to allow them to return to Thailand and proceed to Extensions. Seems to be one step at a time, slowly slowly at the moment. 

• Like 1