Limited possibility of Covid-19 patients' lungs regaining full capacity

rooster59

Limited possibility of Covid-19 patients' lungs regaining full capacity

By THE NATION

800_a0062d2bb4d6e65.jpg

Sopon Iamsirithaworn

The lungs of people who have recovered from Covid-19 do not regain 100 per cent of capacity initially, the director of communicable diseases, Dr Sopon Iamsirithaworn, said after the recent case of actor Sarunrat “Lydia” Visutthithada. Lydia recovered from Covid-19 but found her lungs working at only 60 per cent of total capacity.

The doctor said there is only a small possibility of the lungs returning to 100 per cent after recovering from Covid-19, but a lower capacity does not mean the lungs cannot do their job.

Lydia revealed on March 16 that she had contracted Covid-19 from her husband, actor Matthew “Deane” Chanthavanij. She and her husband left the hospital on April 18.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30395982

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-10-11

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rickudon said:

Lots of claims, no evidence. As 312 NHS staff have died of Covid by May this year, and their death rate is running at double of the in service death rate last year, I will call your claims at best as disinformation. Oh and how many die of Flu? About 10,000 a year the covid total is 4 times this and we still have 3 months to go.

https://www.greenwichccg.nhs.uk/News-Publications/news/Pages/Around-10,000-deaths-are-caused-by-flu-each-year-in-England-and-Wales.aspx

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8339905/Boris-Johnson-says-312-NHS-care-workers-died-coronavirus.html

How many have died from the flu THIS YEAR? Once cannot compare deaths from covid this year to flu deaths in previous years - because of the increase in mask wearing, social disntancing etc. To date, I've had very few students absent in my school this year. Absenteeism to do 'sickness' is only 1-2%. This is much lower than last year. Reports from Australia also flu infectiion and death rates are muck lower than previous years and indeel much lower than that due to covid. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, belfast3 said:

Meanwhile, toxic air pollution is taking years off people's lives and affects 100% of the population.

"Meanwhile" is not relevant or useful. In this cool weather, I was just thinking today how unlikely it is the military will enforce burning bans. They have water bombers. Time to use them on farmers who disrespect all the rest of us.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

Yet meanwhile around 9,000 people have died IN BANGKOK ALONE this year due to air pollution, and no-one cares or does anything about it. Something very strange is going on here regarding relativity ????

The same with motorbike accidents. But I guess that mainly kills poor people, so the government doesn't care hat much. 

5 hours ago, Scot123 said:

You mean not like the science deniers who do not accept the real scientific facts like this strain of the flu "covid" is less deadly than the annual flu, that this flu has only killed 360 healthy 50-60 year olds in the UK, that the under 30's have more chance of dying in a car crash. I could go on and on with fact after fact but all I will get is: show me these facts, your an idiot, see how you feel once you have Covid, I hope you get Covid etc.... It is shocking how people have readily given up their freedoms to be self incarcerated. Maybe people just dont deserve the freedoms millions died to give them.

Your distorting the facts. In the UK 42K plus people have died and annual flu kills around 10k people. 

Now im sure your going to argue that the flu only kills healthy people and covid only kills sick people or something. Not sure how your going to justify changing the facts.  But go ahead give it a try. I love to see what kind of lies you can come up with.  

13 hours ago, JerseytoBKK said:

Scare machine working at full capacity. So based on an incredible study of ONE person, this scare statement draws this headline. He also has ZERO scientific basis to state that she won't recover.

"Lungs ravaged by COVID-19 can repair themselves in three months, a new study says." 

source: https://nypost.com/2020/09/08/covid-19-damaged-lungs-can-repair-themselves-in-three-months-study/

""I have a patient right now that came to the clinic [after they] lost 20% of their lung function," Galiatsatos said. "Right now, because of rehab, they feel as they felt prior to COVID.""

source: https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/lung-damage-could-be-permanent-for-some-coronavirus-patients-but-new-scans-show-significant-healing-after-12-weeks/ar-BB199saV

Don't try to find links using Google. Duckduckgo.com has a better chance of showing you articles that aren't part of the propaganda.

60 MILLION people died last year. Not one from Covid. For far in 2020, just over 1 Million global Covid-related deaths. Total insanity that the the world was shut down because of Covid!

First of all, scare tactics? For what reason? 

And yes, some people may get lung capacity back, shock horror not everything is black and white. But, what about those people who have lung damage prior, other health problems, or for some reason can't get their lung capacity back? 

4 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

Yet meanwhile around 9,000 people have died IN BANGKOK ALONE this year due to air pollution, and no-one cares or does anything about it. Something very strange is going on here regarding relativity ????

Maybe not in Thailand ( in Thailand also , only the rules aren't very strong ), but in many places around the world , there are lots of rules and regulations trying to prevent air and water pollution . In Thailand , taxis do need to drive on CNG or LPG , because of the pollution diesel and petrol is much worse then the gas .

Hi friends.

My Thai daughter works in a UK hospital where they were very slow in giving PPE to those who worked on the Covid virus ward.

She complained but bosses failed to act and she became infected.

They isolated her for 2 months and it took a further two months for her to return to the  wards.

But she now has shortness of breath and chest pain that the doctors prescribed her eight months supply of Codine expecting her to suffer from long Covid.

Those people who fail to recognise the seriousness of this virus are living in a fantasy world.

It's only the knowledge and exhaustive work of  scientists that has prevented this type of virus from wiping out mankind, which I personally believe is a man made virus.

• Thanks 1

I had Covid in May 2020. It was like having the flu, I was laid up for about 7 days.

Similar to having the flu, I had a bit of a sore chest for about another week. After that I was out riding my new mountain bike and working regular hours at my physically demanding construction job with no problems. 

Nowadays I go kickboxing and hot yoga, and I have absolutely no problem. My mountain bike has a tachometer on it, and I've done close to a thousand km on it since having Covid. 

My sister got it too, and she's fine even though she's somewhat overweight. 

We are both late 50's almost 60. 

When Covid comes up in conversation (almost every day) I politely ask people if they know anyone personally that died from it. To this day I've still to meet anyone that does. 

I'm not a conspiracy theorist. I'm just a guy who considers mainstream news to be what fast food is to nutrition, and so I look at my own experiences and those of other people I come into contact with. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Dart12 said:

Recovery rate is over 99.78%.  Worst demographic is over 70 at 99.64%.  

Yep, that means some people do pass away as with any illness, and usually stacked on with other problems.

Even more amazing, most people that get it don't even know they've had it.

I supported the caution in the beginning because of whatever monstrosity came out of China was scary looking.  I'm thinking it wasn't even all Covid related now, that something else happened there at that time too as no place else in the world was hit like that.  No idea though.  Just that was scary zombie stuff.

But since then, the data is in.  The world mortality age is expected to be HIGHER than the 2019...meaning people lived LONGER this year on average.

The only truth they are using to hold down the mass control through media  is....

XX new number of people have become infected.

Pretty tough to say, 99.76% recover fully again today.  Stay in your houses and close your businesses.

Mortality rate for the seasonal fly is .1 to .2%.  CV19 is higher, but still being studied and the actual number isn't known yet, if it ever will be due to lack of testing. 

Living longer is a trend that's been going on for decades.  Not sure why that's relevant here.

Worth reading:

The key point is that the “case fatality rate”, the most commonly discussed measure of the risk of dying, is not the answer to the question, for two reasons. One, it relies on the number of confirmed cases, and many cases are not confirmed; and two, it relies on the total number of deaths, and with COVID-19, some people who are sick and will die soon have not yet died. These two facts mean that it is extremely difficult to make accurate estimates of the true risk of death.

The key point is that the “case fatality rate”, the most commonly discussed measure of the risk of dying, is not the answer to the question, for two reasons. One, it relies on the number of confirmed cases, and many cases are not confirmed; and two, it relies on the total number of deaths, and with COVID-19, some people who are sick and will die soon have not yet died. These two facts mean that it is extremely difficult to make accurate estimates of the true risk of death.

10 hours ago, robblok said:

Now im sure your going to argue that the flu only kills healthy people and covid only kills sick people or something. Not sure how your going to justify changing the facts.  But go ahead give it a try. I love to see what kind of lies you can come up with.  

358 Children died from influenza in 2009 in the US alone according to the US CDC.So far this year 105 children have died from the flu according to this article.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/02/21/health/child-flu-deaths-105/index.html

37 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Mortality rate for the seasonal fly is .1 to .2%.  CV19 is higher, but still being studied and the actual number isn't known yet, if it ever will be due to lack of testing. 

The WHO estimates 10% of the world's population has been infected with Sars Cov 2 which gives the IFR of 0.14% which is equal to the flu.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-10-06/1-in-10-worldwide-may-have-caught-covid-19,-says-who/12733992

2 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

The WHO estimates 10% of the world's population has been infected with Sars Cov 2 which gives the IFR of 0.14% which is equal to the flu.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-10-06/1-in-10-worldwide-may-have-caught-covid-19,-says-who/12733992

It's an estimate and the virus isn't done with us yet.  You should treat these numbers as such.  Without proper testing, the real numbers will never be known.  And as we know, many countries are seriously under counting the rates.  They just don't have the resources to test.  India is estimated to have numbers 10x what's being reported.

Not sure why you want to downplay this pandemic.  One of the biggest problems we have today, not taking this seriously.  Some 300k new cases daily, with 5-10k daily deaths globally, plus plus.  It's serious.

It's been five months since Lucy Gahan contracted Covid-19, and her life still hasn't returned to normal.

Gahan, a clinical psychologist in Shrewsbury, United Kingdom, hasn't been able to return to work.

The disease causes what she calls "storms," disabling periods when she feels shortness of breath, numbness in her hands and feet and her heart rate shoots up from simple tasks. Even taking a shower is possible only during an occasional respite in symptoms.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/09/13/health/long-haul-covid-fatigue-breathing-wellness/index.html