Expired Driving Licence; new one?

Cuchulainn

Hi

First of all, I am not sure if this is the correct forum to post this question, so mods, please move if needed!!

I had a full Thai driving licence which expired 10 years ago. Never driven since. Never had another licence since!!

Is there any way I can get another licence (legally, please!!) without having to go through all the messy paperwork and embassy visit etc to get a new one?

If the answer is no, which I suspect, what are the exact steps from scratch needed to apply for a full Thai driving licence for a car? Is it still a nightmare?

Many thanks to all

JD

• Haha 1

I had a similar situation, my home country driving license was expired for 5 years.

I went through the whole process to get a new Thai driving license from scratch and found the whole process quite efficient in Thailand compared to some other countries where I had to do driving licenses from scratch.

Part 1 - appointment, watch video, physical test, sit exam, another appointment and finally practical driving test to get the 2 year license. I think it took about 2 or 3 months or maybe a little longer, can't recall exactly.

Part 2 - After 1 year went to the driving license authority and did another physical test and converted the 2 year license to a 5 year license.

That is the legal way through the proper channels and don't know any other method. Don't recall any messy paperwork, but just the few docs required as they listed to apply for a driving license which are not that difficult to obtain.

Edited by userabcd
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, biggles45 said:

Note also that when your 5 year licence expires, if you are on a 30 day entry or tourist visa you will only get a 2 year one

..i believe you cannot get a Drivers License unless you're on a one year extendable visa. (the reason i mentioned this is that the OP doesn't state what type of visa he is on).

Edited by tandor

13 hours ago, redpill17 said:

What's the point of this? The "paperwork" is just making copies of your passport and signing them, and also signing the form, which ladies at DLT will fill for you. There's usually a copy shop outside DLT. Unless you're trying to "convert" foreign DL, which may need to be translated.

Who does that anyway? Easier, cheaper and faster to get one from Immigration.

I got 2-year DL on tourist visa in Chiang Mai, no problem. Never had a driving license before.

..no-one translates foreign drivers licences..you need to transfer an International DL or apply for a new Thai DL.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, redpill17 said:
23 hours ago, Grapefruit said:

Their rep does the running around with the paperwork at the licence office for you, you just have to sign the forms, do the physical/reaction tests, watch the video then pick up your licence.

What's the point of this? The "paperwork" is just making copies of your passport and signing them, and also signing the form, which ladies at DLT will fill for you.

The point is that some people prefer to do it that way and be guaranteed that there will be no hiccups.   You don't have to queue, don't have to worry about whether you've got everything perfect or have any conversations, in Thai, with the staff if you don't want to.  

If you don't want to do it that way you can do it whichever way you prefer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Grapefruit said:

The point is that some people prefer to do it that way and be guaranteed that there will be no hiccups.   You don't have to queue, don't have to worry about whether you've got everything perfect or have any conversations, in Thai, with the staff if you don't want to.  

I recently renewed mine in Banglamung. I had a Thai friend with me to help me. But there was absolutely nothing that she could or had to do. They all spoke English and I was assigned to a group and we were guided through the whole process. They are also not happy if people hang around there that don't apply for a license. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Oldie said:

I recently renewed mine in Banglamung. I had a Thai friend with me to help me. But there was absolutely nothing that she could or had to do. They all spoke English and I was assigned to a group and we were guided through the whole process. They are also not happy if people hang around there that don't apply for a license. 

Good for you.  I wasn't in Banglamung.

Just now, lust said:
36 minutes ago, Grapefruit said:

Anyone with half a brain would do it themselves and save thousands of baht. But, nice plug for your business. 

It's not my business, it doesn't cost "thousands of baht" and someone with half a brain would be unable to do it.  Apart from that your comment was 100% accurate.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Grapefruit said:

Perhaps an agent is useful in some cases like dealing with "Non-" visas at Immigration, but it's really hard to mess up at DLT. Just renewed my DL today, needed passport copies (photo page, visa page, stamp page) and residency certificate - that's it!

Even if the staff doesn't speak English (which I'm yet to encounter), they'll point you in the right direction. No need for Thai wife or friend ???? Good luck to everyone! There's plenty of threads on this forum about getting a new DL from scratch.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, redpill17 said:
22 hours ago, Grapefruit said:

Perhaps an agent is useful in some cases like dealing with "Non-" visas at Immigration

Your interpretation of my comment is 100% incorrect.  The agent I recommended does not help to bypass any of the DL application requirements, "their" applicants need to meet exactly the same standards as anyone else going through the process independently. 

Their service bears no comparison to Immigration agents in the way that you suggest, they simply makes the process completely hiccup-free for those foreigners who may not want to risk going through the process on their own or those whose confidence in their Thai language skills is not that high, that's all. 

On 10/16/2020 at 12:27 PM, Grapefruit said:

Your interpretation of my comment is 100% incorrect.  The agent I recommended does not help to bypass any of the DL application requirements, "their" applicants need to meet exactly the same standards as anyone else going through the process independently. 

Their service bears no comparison to Immigration agents in the way that you suggest, they simply makes the process completely hiccup-free for those foreigners who may not want to risk going through the process on their own or those whose confidence in their Thai language skills is not that high, that's all. 

I didn't mean to compare the two. Just wanted to point out that I never needed a translator or representative when dealing with Thai officials (in case someone is worried). And there's literally no forms to fill at DLT - just your name and phone number. I'd use such service if they let you skip the queue and boring 4-hour video ???? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/15/2020 at 8:16 AM, brianthainess said:

First we need to know What visa you have? and if you have a valid license from your country.? Then and only then can we answer your OP correctly.  

Thanks. Non Immigrant O visa on yearly extensions at CW. No licence from home (well, expired 30 years ago).

here's my history:

Full UK DL expired 1993

Full Thai DL from 2001 - 2010 (now expired, never renewed)

On Non O visa since 1997

Edited by Cuchulainn

On 11/6/2020 at 4:27 PM, Cuchulainn said:

Thanks. Non Immigrant O visa on yearly extensions at CW. No licence from home (well, expired 30 years ago).

here's my history:

Full UK DL expired 1993

Full Thai DL from 2001 - 2010 (now expired, never renewed)

On Non O visa since 1997

I hope this isn't a rude question, but how old are you? UK drivers licence expires at 70 years of age, so that would make you 97-y-o.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Anyone else....  renew as normal. If I’m not mistaken you have 1 year to renew an expired licence before having to start from scratch (and use your home country licence). 

Is a passport still required for a late renewal (14 days). And anything else; yellow book, pink card etc?

23 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Is a passport still required for a late renewal (14 days). And anything else; yellow book, pink card etc?

I renewed my 5 year licence about 6 weeks late in August.

There was no fuss or problem about it being overdue. As Richard says (above) you have 1 year to renew. After that I think you have to start again from scratch.

I needed:

Application form

Old drivers licence

Copies of passport - photo page, visa page and current extention stamp.

Immigration letter of residence (that one caught me out as my yellow book had been accepted as proof of residence last time)

No doctors certificate needed

Had to sit through the road safety video and take the depth perception, colour blindness, and brakes reaction tests.

This was at Banglamung (Pattaya).

The advantage of late renewal is that you get almost an extra 12 months, as the licence expires on your birthday - 5 birthdays after the renewal.

Edited by chickenslegs
Added info
  • Like 1

On 10/14/2020 at 10:37 PM, tandor said:

..i believe you cannot get a Drivers License unless you're on a one year extendable visa. 

You believe wrong, possible to get a licence on Visa Exempt.

On 10/15/2020 at 12:16 PM, brianthainess said:

First we need to know What visa you have? and if you have a valid license from your country.? Then and only then can we answer your OP correctly.  

Visa is irrelevant (other than being current/extended).

• Like 1

On 10/15/2020 at 2:12 PM, lust said:

Anyone with half a brain would do it themselves and save thousands of baht. But, nice plug for your business. 

Much depends on distances. How far is the OP from Immigration for the Residence Certificate and how far from the Dept. of Land Transport. Are there taxis? If the agent is nearer then let them do all the running around. 

8 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Much depends on distances. How far is the OP from Immigration for the Residence Certificate and how far from the Dept. of Land Transport. Are there taxis? If the agent is nearer then let them do all the running around. 

But you still need to show up at DLT in person, so what's the point? And I doubt any agent is going to drive to some village in the sticks (for free) to deliver Residence Certificate. Their offices are usually located in large cities, not far from Immigration office itself.

On 10/13/2020 at 9:11 PM, userabcd said:

I had a similar situation, my home country driving license was expired for 5 years.

I went through the whole process to get a new Thai driving license from scratch and found the whole process quite efficient in Thailand compared to some other countries where I had to do driving licenses from scratch.

Part 1 - appointment, watch video, physical test, sit exam, another appointment and finally practical driving test to get the 2 year license. I think it took about 2 or 3 months or maybe a little longer, can't recall exactly.

Part 2 - After 1 year went to the driving license authority and did another physical test and converted the 2 year license to a 5 year license.

That is the legal way through the proper channels and don't know any other method. Don't recall any messy paperwork, but just the few docs required as they listed to apply for a driving license which are not that difficult to obtain.

The above is good advice, but my experience differs slightly.

When I first arrived in Thailand I was able to obtain a one year Thai driver licence by providing the necessary documentation and a current international driver permit (I suspect that this is no longer possible).  I was not required to do any tests other than the reaction/eyesight nonsense.

I never drove so I allowed my Thai licence to lapse.

Fourteen years later I bought a little car for the wife and so decided to renew my Thai licence in order that I could legally drive it and was insured to do so.  Because I'd allowed my licence to expire for longer than a year I was required to start from scratch - documents, videos, and tests - but when I completed everything successfully I was given a five year licence on the grounds that I was renewing the very out-of-date one year licence.

Hope the above answers the OP's enquiry.

I would add that if you do this through a driving school they often have connections at the licencing office.  For a small fee you can complete the entire procedure in a couple of weeks, as opposed to several months in our area.  But the fee won't guarantee that you pass the test.

When I took my test there were eleven of us who started - three failed the theory test, six failed the driving test itself - only two of us were successful, which is amazing because it's all unbelievably easy.

• Thanks 1

On 11/11/2020 at 9:37 PM, owl sees all said:
On 11/11/2020 at 9:30 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Anyone else....  renew as normal. If I’m not mistaken you have 1 year to renew an expired licence before having to start from scratch (and use your home country licence). 

The same documentation is required to renew a driving licence as to apply for one, with the following exceptions:

- Medical Cert not required when renewing 5 yr Thai DL (this may vary in some offices)

- Home Country DL not required when renewing a 2 or 5 yrs Thai DL.

Required Documents: 

- Copies of Passport ID and Visa Page (Non-Imm Visa to renew to a 5 yr Thai DL)

- Copies of Yellow Tabien Baan (house book), Pink ID card

- Passport Photos (I think). 

- Existing Thai DL

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The same documentation is required to renew a driving licence as to apply for one, with the following exceptions:

- Medical Cert not required when renewing 5 yr Thai DL (this may vary in some offices)

- Home Country DL not required when renewing a 2 or 5 yrs Thai DL.

Required Documents: 

- Copies of Passport ID and Visa Page (Non-Imm Visa to renew to a 5 yr Thai DL)

- Copies of Yellow Tabien Baan (house book), Pink ID card

- Passport Photos (I think). 

- Existing Thai DL

That is very clear Richard; thank you.

As soon as I get my passport back from Immigration I'll be renewing in Phen (Isaan).

Edited by owl sees all