Police checkpoints are back! New "transparent" system to nab drunk drivers to be launched in Bangkok

webfact

5 hours ago, webfact said:

It will feature the following involving 12 officers:

1. One officer in overall charge

2. Two officers choosing who to check

3. Three officers testing

4. Four officers preventing "fleeing the scene"

5. One officer guarding the testers.

6. One officer guarding the suspect

Boy, your fine is going to be expensive, suggest filling it with 20 baht notes,  not 100, 500's or 1000's

• Like 1

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

No harm in this - I’d like to see DUI check points all over the city. 

The issue I have is allowing those caught to drive away after paying their 5,000 baht bribe on the spot fine.

The wealthy guys riding around in BMW’s and Mercedes don’t care about the fines or always have a ‘contact’ to call who will simply tell the Police officer to ‘let them go on their way’.

Additionally, there are so many police officers who when off duty drink and drive with impunity - at the Police check point they show their Police ID and are simply waved along, no matter how drunk they are. 

Not just off duty police. I often see on duty cops call into parties and drink beer & Thai whisky in rather large quantities. They are definitely drunk when they leave and move on to the next party for more of the same.

11 hours ago, webfact said:

1. One officer in overall charge

2. Two officers choosing who to check

3. Three officers testing

4. Four officers preventing "fleeing the scene"

5. One officer guarding the testers.

6. One officer guarding the suspect

Baby laughing.gif

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

No harm in this - I’d like to see DUI check points all over the city. 

The issue I have is allowing those caught to drive away after paying their 5,000 baht bribe on the spot fine.

The wealthy guys riding around in BMW’s and Mercedes don’t care about the fines or always have a ‘contact’ to call who will simply tell the Police officer to ‘let them go on their way’.

Additionally, there are so many police officers who when off duty drink and drive with impunity - at the Police check point they show their Police ID and are simply waved along, no matter how drunk they are. 

"No harm in this - I’d like to see DUI check points all over the city."  and also upcountry. 

• Like 1

In theory this could work in practice the moment they all collude (if they work together often and get to know each other its easy) then the whole system will not work.

I think tough punishment should be handed out to officers who are involved in corruption. Maybe then things would change. Also a totally independent roaming unit would work. One that goes from checkpoint to checkpoint unannounced. 

The whole thing might be an improvement but its still not perfect.

A well lit sign 150 meters ahead will warn drivers they are approaching a checkpoint. Another "stop check" sign will follow.  

This one I really like. Me and all the Thais driving scooter. Will see the sign from 400 meter distance. Thank you. Can easy turn and drive the other direction.