Oops! Illegal Indian's great Thai language skills proved to be his downfall after his arrest in Chumphon

webfact

1 hour ago, webfact said:
PIBICS and the biometrics system flagged him up as a person of interest. 
In 2015 he managed to get back into Thailand on a new passport again under the name of Mr Amarnath but this time with a new date of birth. This managed to fox the system.

They've improved their system/biometrics since 2015? (Or two distinct systems involved?)

So if you study Thai, and learn to speak and read it outside of the country in order to speak with your extended family or, for whatever reason you may be looked at suspiciously when you come into the country for the first time and speak Thai to the Immigration officer. Wow, good to know.  I will tell my kids to forget taking Thai classes in the US and, to just wing it when they come to visit here.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The locals soon pointed to him as someone who had been in the kingdom for ages and he was arrested on an immigration law (Article 82) dating back to 1979. 

So it took the locals to point him out and not the infallible immigration system?

9 hours ago, webfact said:

In 2015 he managed to get back into Thailand on a new passport again under the name of Mr Amarnath but this time with a new date of birth.

Stange and not reliable indian system

15 hours ago, TooBigToFit said:

i never see Indian or South Asians at immigration. I wonder how many are working illegally here. Maybe its because I am not right in Bangkok.

True, I don't either and they are out and about where I live in Isaan because they are working in the silk business.

17 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Never speak Thai with Immigration.

One of the first rules I learned in Thailand, now I only say "I don't understand" as many times as they like.

Did the Indian guy change his fingerprints every-time he entered as well, or are we all to assume the fingerprint scanners are just for show and don't actually do anything.

I have to remind myself this too...as soon as I fly in and IO is eyeing up my passport I play the stupid tourist

Same goes for the cops pulling us over on mbike hustles........I know nothing Im just a dirty falang (smiles)

• Like 1