Trump takes fighting stance as election swings toward Biden

webfact

When for over 4 years you put not only question marks, but took really every step to bring US governmental bodies in discredit except of course your own indefinite wisdom, your unlimited wisdom, lies about everything, brought is country far in front of the rest of the world in corona mortal casualties and infected, even claim a victory days before all voters are counted, try to stop counting when it turns wrong to you, come with accusations of stealing the vote, crocked, fake etc about the cote counting,  ... sorry, you lost all credibility and should face court.  How deep somebody can sink..

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DavisH said:

Its also scary what he could do with state secrets...sell them to the Russians to pay his debts?

I think he'll be closely watched. Would be more worried about him talking too much in public, interviews and such.

3 hours ago, cmarshall said:

Biden is going to have to function without the US Senate.  McConnell will not confirm any of Biden judicial appointments up to and including to the Supreme Court.  In fact, I expect McConnell to refuse to confirm any Cabinet appointments from Biden, because why should he?

Sounds like a major problem, but maybe not.  What Biden should do is to just tell his appointees to move into their offices and start performing their functions.  In fact, Trump has already been doing just that.  A court determined that the acting Secretary of Homeland Security has been filling his post illegally.  Nothing happened.  The guy is still there getting a paycheck.

If McConnell pulls a Merrick Garland on him, Biden should just send his appointee over to the Supreme Court to start performing his duties as an associate justice under the theory that the Senate's failure to advise or consent itself constitutes consent.  

I expect Trump to resign his office to enable President Pence to pardon him for federal crimes.  He will still probably flee the country to avoid prosecution in NY State.

Watch out for Clarence Thomas to resign his seat on the Supreme Court to allow McConnell to ram through a lame-duck appointment.

I wonder if the same level of antagonism and animosity will prevail post-Trump, at least in the Senate. A lot of things were said during the campaign, but that's how these things go. Politicians are used to it. Not brotherly love, but perhaps less obstructionism for its own sake. Biden, IMO, could mend some bridges there.

1 hour ago, PattayaJames said:

LOL 4 years of Russiagate 

Trump takes lying stance as election swings towards Biden as for russa gate once trump is stripped of the mantle of potus and his pet ag billey Barr is removed I’m sure lots and lots of relevant information will come to light hummmm?

3 hours ago, marin said:

Uh, we as American people are in the process of voting Trump out right now. He is toast. Take a look at the UK they voted in Boris Johnson and look what is happening to them between Covid and Brexit.  Better re think your post mate.

But it was the American people that voted him in yay?

In any case, I cant help but think Democracy itself is being severely mocked throughout all this.

In a country that must have so much (younger) talent, y'all are forced to choose between these two?

So Biden is another default win when you consider the alternative.

Cรipes, how bad must poor Hillary Clinton feel right about now??

She was obviously so horrible that Americans actually preferred Trump rather than have her

in the whitehouse.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, pookondee said:

But it was the American people that voted him in yay?

In any case, I cant help but think Democracy itself is being severely mocked throughout all this.

In a country that must have so much (younger) talent, y'all are forced to choose between these two?

So Biden is another default win when you consider the alternative.

Cรipes, how bad must poor Hillary Clinton feel right about now??

She was obviously so horrible that Americans actually preferred Trump rather than have her

in the whitehouse.

Do you understand that more Americans voted for Clinton than for Trump? Unless you are claiming that the only Americans are those 538 who are members of the Electoral College.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J Town said:

Mueller made it clear himself that his detailed report was intended, in part, to “preserve the evidence” because “a President does not have immunity after he leaves office.”

If I were a betting man, seeing how SDNY fought all the way up to the Supreme Court to get 45's tax returns, I'd go all in for SDNY.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2019/06/06/how-trump-could-be-prosecuted-after-the-white-house-227050

The US Attorney for the Southern District of New York, part of the US DoJ, had no role in the legal pursuit of Trump's tax returns.  Lawsuits were brought by Cyrus Vance, Jr., the District Attorney for Manhattan, under the supervision of the Attorney General of New York State, and members of the US House of Representatives.   

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Morch said:

I wonder if the same level of antagonism and animosity will prevail post-Trump, at least in the Senate. A lot of things were said during the campaign, but that's how these things go. Politicians are used to it. Not brotherly love, but perhaps less obstructionism for its own sake. Biden, IMO, could mend some bridges there.

Be serious.  We are not talking about personal feelings here, but political strategies.  Just watch.  McConnell will not confirm a single judicial appointment of Biden's.  

7 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Do you understand that more Americans voted for Clinton than for Trump? Unless you are claiming that the only Americans are those 538 who are members of the Electoral College.

Yes, i do, but i jest.

Considering what Trump stands for and how he has performed, Hillary must feel pretty terrible that she couldn't even beat him convincingly.

2 hours ago, Walker88 said:

There are two things at play.

First, the State AG of NY already has 45 under investigation for numerous possible crimes, including bank and insurance fraud.  No Presidential Pardon can impact a State, so the NY AG can do as she pleases.

Second, assuming Biden wins, there is a new AG on 20 January 2021, and perhaps a new head of SDNY. They can pursue whatever charges they want against 45.

Letitia James, Attorney General for the State of NY, is definitely investigating Trump, but the Attorney General of NY has no connection to the SDNY, which is part of the DoJ.  Probably all of the 94 US Attorneys will be replaced by the new US Attorney General after January 20, but the decision whether to prosecute Trump will be certainly be made at higher levels than the US Attorney.

2 hours ago, J Town said:

SDNY prosecution isn't covered by a presidential pardon. His orange goose is COOKED!

You keep confusing SDNY which is part of the US DoJ and the Attorney General of the State of NY, which is part of the state government with no connection to the DoJ.

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Given the runoff in GA, you are probably correct.

I don't see the connection between the two runoff Senate elections coming up in Jan. and McConnell's likely drive to shutout Biden from making any appointments to the federal bench.  McConnell did the same thing to Obama and there were no runoff elections at issue then.

3 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

I don't see the connection between the two runoff Senate elections coming up in Jan. and McConnell's likely drive to shutout Biden from making any appointments to the federal bench.  McConnell did the same thing to Obama and there were no runoff elections at issue then.

Unless of course the runoff takes the Senate away from Mcconnell

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

Well, sure, but then only if the Dems beat both Perdue and Loeffler in runoffs to reach 50 Senate seats.  Very unlikely.

Given Trump’s supporters were as late as yesterday tell us this was going to be a ‘Big Red Wave’ election I’m inclined to take that assessment with a large pinch of salt.

Just now, cmarshall said:

Well, sure, but then only if the Dems beat both Perdue and Loeffler in runoffs to reach 50 Senate seats.  Very unlikely.

But it turns out there is another way to Dem control of the Senate.  There are two Republican senators, Toomey of PA and another guy whose name I forget, who have both announced retirement at the end of their current terms in 2022.  Both of them represent states with a Democrat governor.  So, President Biden could offer Cabinet posts to each of them, which is a fine way to finish off a distinguished career in public service.  Could be Secretary of Commerce and Secretary of the Interior, for example.  Both are honored by the appointments and resign from the Senate.  The Democrat governors of PA and the other state naturally appoint Democrats to those Senate seats until the 2022 elections.  And then the Dems have 50 senators plus any seat they might pick up in the GA runoff elections.

Seems eminently feasible to me.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Given Trump’s supporters were as late as yesterday tell us this was going to be a ‘Big Red Wave’ election I’m inclined to take that assessment with a large pinch of salt.

The combined votes for Loeffler and Collins, her Trumpier-than-thou competitor on the right, far outnumbered Warnock's share.  But run-off elections have flukey participation rates, so maybe.

5 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

But it turns out there is another way to Dem control of the Senate.  There are two Republican senators, Toomey of PA and another guy whose name I forget, who have both announced retirement at the end of their current terms in 2022.  Both of them represent states with a Democrat governor.  So, President Biden could offer Cabinet posts to each of them, which is a fine way to finish off a distinguished career in public service.  Could be Secretary of Commerce and Secretary of the Interior, for example.  Both are honored by the appointments and resign from the Senate.  The Democrat governors of PA and the other state naturally appoint Democrats to those Senate seats until the 2022 elections.  And then the Dems have 50 senators plus any seat they might pick up in the GA runoff elections.

Seems eminently feasible to me.

Toomey is quite right wing. Why would he wabt to help realize policies that he doesn't agree with?