MG Extender : good pickup truck ?

Emmarose

49 minutes ago, DavisH said:

Just like toyota and honda then:)

And BMW, and Benz, Ford, Nissan, Tata, Dihatsu, etc. 

The Japanese are very experienced and clever doing business in Thailand. Which is why they are number one in Thailand with cars and also a lot of other manufacturing and the biggest foreign investor in Thailand. 

Others, such as Chev have failed. Chev service centers are unbelievably useless. I have often suspected that the Chev service manuals were not translated properly from English to Thai and that is why the Chev mechanics don’t know how to fix their own cars. I had to show a baffled Chev mechanic a YouTube video showing him how to fix my car! 

I can’t see the Chinese being good managers of Thais. 

But for my UK cousins I wish MG all the very best of luck and a prosperous future for the iconic and legendary Morris Garages, made in Thailand, managed and designed by the Chinese, with low paid Burmese and Cambodian labourers. 

The new Thai built, Chinese inspired MG is the best ever. I can’t wait to get one. ????

The new EV is the quickest 0-100 of any MG. More than twice as fast as the old clunkers. 

The ONLY reason we went to the MG Khok Kloy showroom was to test drive an electric car and check out the acceleration. I forget the price, it was over one million. 
I think I will wait for a Tesla. 

10 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

Performance? 

Because of 4 cylinder rubbish performance, rubbish handling, rubbish build quality and I suspect they will have rubbish servicing standards in Thailand.
it is well documented, one of the main reasons they have gone broke so many times. 

I wouldn’t buy one, that is my opinion, if you think they are good, then go ahead. They are cheap. I wonder why?

UK cars are infamous for their poor build quality. I suspect the only people defending them are from the UK who have taken it personally. 
China is also infamous for poor build quality. They will continue the MG tradition I am sure.

your talking out of that little hole where the sun dont shine mate!

you clearly know naff all

• Like 2

13 hours ago, transam said:

It is a re-badge Chinese Maxus T60, I have never seen a Maxus T60 in LOS, but perhaps there are.

The Chinese have bought the "British" MG name to sell stuff...

If you do a search for Maxus T60 for any probs it may help you...You may have to do a Chinese language course though...????

No need to learn Chinese. 

https://www.autodeal.com.ph/articles/car-reviews/2020-maxus-t60-review#:~:text=The Maxus T60 is your,much as you would expect.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2020 at 9:48 AM, Natai Beach said:

I wouldn’t risk it. 
- MG have a history of going broke. I can’t see them being around for ever in Thailand. 

- MG were always poor quality, I can’t see the Chinese improving on it. 
- about a month ago I popped in to their dealership in Khok Kloy to ask about their EV. The lack of knowledge of the staff astounded us, she couldn’t answer any of our questions (I was with a thai, so it wasn’t just the language barrier). 

Forget it.

Fairly normal in Thailand staff dont get trained in product knowledge, same everywhere, not just in car industry.

On 11/7/2020 at 10:34 AM, Natai Beach said:

Performance? 

Because of 4 cylinder rubbish performance, rubbish handling, rubbish build quality and I suspect they will have rubbish servicing standards in Thailand.
it is well documented, one of the main reasons they have gone broke so many times. 

I wouldn’t buy one, that is my opinion, if you think they are good, then go ahead. They are cheap. I wonder why?

UK cars are infamous for their poor build quality. I suspect the only people defending them are from the UK who have taken it personally. 
China is also infamous for poor build quality. They will continue the MG tradition I am sure.

So what happened to Chevy, poor build quality, rubbish handling, bad servicing, yater, yater, yater. Everybody said the same about Kia and Hyundia, now there up there with the big guys.

20 hours ago, In the jungle said:

You still don't get it do you?

There is absolutely no connection between the Chinese cars sold as MGs in Thailand and the MG driven by Kenneth Moore in the movie Reach for the Sky released in 1954.

Was Kenneth's MG not designed at Longbridge like the current MG vehicles ?

46 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

Was Kenneth's MG not designed at Longbridge like the current MG vehicles ?

The design team can do that in any location on the planet, the Chinese MG, as far as I am aware, is produced in China with Chinese materials then assembled elseware....

But, the UK thing is all part of the sales plan, even down to the Union Jack on the boot, plus claiming "since 1924"..

Chinese performance MG cars, what a laugh, the pick up has nothing to do with MG or performance....

https://www.mgcars.com/th/Heritage

1 hour ago, DUNROAMIN said:

So what happened to Chevy, poor build quality, rubbish handling, bad servicing, yater, yater, yater. Everybody said the same about Kia and Hyundia, now there up there with the big guys.

Well, Kia and Chevy are the same thing isn't it, and saying Hyundai is with the big guys is just a wet dream

47 minutes ago, transam said:

The design team can do that in any location on the planet, the Chinese MG, as far as I am aware, is produced in China with Chinese materials then assembled elseware....

But, the UK thing is all part of the sales plan, even down to the Union Jack on the boot, plus claiming "since 1924"..

Chinese performance MG cars, what a laugh, the pick up has nothing to do with MG or performance....

https://www.mgcars.com/th/Heritage

Long winded reply that completely avoided my question.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

Most likely it was designed in Abingdon or Oxford.  I am no MG expert but it was most likely a pre-war model so 1939 or earlier.

MG (Morris Garages) did a lot of shuffling around, MG was the performance wing of Morris Garages, which had an excellent performance history dating back to the 1920's. The British Motor Corporation bought up most of the British motor companies, including Morris Garages.

But, BMC used the MG badge on its performance range, including basic rides that had been modified for performance, I also think that if John Cooper did not get involved with the Mini, the Mini Cooper range would no doubt have been badged MG.

Strange the Chinese MG plodders were not badged Morris, as BMC did...????

5 hours ago, In the jungle said:

Most likely it was designed in Abingdon or Oxford.  I am no MG expert but it was most likely a pre-war model so 1939 or earlier.

Indeed MG did have a factory in Abingdon while I lived there until it was shut and turned into a retail estate

I've held off commenting on this thread because of all the bickering about MG. Personally, I don't care who owns the company. I'm sure if you looked into who owns what with regards to company names, there would be a few surprises.

I've owned an MG Extender for just short of a year. I've covered around 20,000 kms without too many dramas. The infotainment head unit got changed because of an intermittant feedback noise. It was later found that one of the speakers had some insulation missing. It got dealt with efficiently by the local MG garage (Sai Mai, Bangkok).

I had another problem with ants getting into the starter relay (Not MG's fault), my fault for parking under a tree with an ants nest in it. This was also fixed by MG, foc.

I know next to nothing about cars but I find the Extender to be solidly built, with lots of extras and a very comfortable ride, with plenty of acceleration. Certainly as good as the two Mazda BT50's I had before.

To all those with negative comments, I would suggest you go to a showroom and have a look around one before dismissing them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

That reflects the SIL's experience. Good value for $$$

I remember when 'Made in Japan' was a sign of poor quality. Look at them now - the Lexus beats all comers for quality. Makes a BMW/Merc look like a Kia

Those that denigrate the new MG are the same people that denigrate everything they do not personally own/

"In my Wisdom, if I didn't buy it, it is C**p" - 555 - losers !!!

Thanks for the 1st hand report

Kia makes a good looking car, still wouldn't buy one. Same with the MG. Have some pride man.

• Sad 1

On 11/7/2020 at 4:42 PM, bodga said:

All the dealers  have  agreed  to keep servicing and parts  are  still easily available, many Chevvy dealers  now have a sign saying "service  centre"

That would be a big concern for me, those Chevy dealers will slowly close over the next 5 years I think.

A least with a Chinese model the dealer network is getting bigger every year.

Further; Great Wall Motor will take over GM's plant in Rayong and start production 1st quarter 2021, capacity 80.000 cars per year.

https://www.thailand-business-news.com/business/81432-great-wall-motor-china-takes-over-gm-factory-in-thailand.html

• Like 1

3 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

That would be a big concern for me, those Chevy dealers will slowly close over the next 5 years I think.

Do you think in 5 years time spare parts will suddenly be no longer available and mechanics will have forgotten how to service and repair a 6 year old vehicle

2 hours ago, Techno Viking said:

Do you think in 5 years time spare parts will suddenly be no longer available and mechanics will have forgotten how to service and repair a 6 year old vehicle

I wrote; slowly close down.

Owners can likely still get them serviced but not so easy anymore and how about spare-parts, I would never buy one under those circumstances and re-sale value will also be affected.

• Like 1