ASQ survival tactics

BradFinch

1 hour ago, BradFinch said:

But I've stayed in some horrible accommodations with all manner of pollution being squirted into the premises at random times.

Actually I had trouble with a freshly-painted hotel room in China before they (supposedly!) switched to low-VOC paints. Luckily it was summer so I had the windows open a lot...

• Like 1

@onebir High-VOC paints are still very much a problem in many countries, as is the excessive use of pesticides in guestrooms. I was once forced to choose between nauseating pesticide odors and the PM10 raging outside. (I chose the third option, which was to check out after only minutes in the room -- not an option in ASQ.) As @Crossy pointed out, we should expect to get what we pay for, generally speaking. However, it's important to remember that the ASQ certification is all about sanitation, as opposed to the satisfaction of life's basic needs. With rare exception, real estate developers seem to be using the same old "toxic stench" finishing materials, so we shouldn't expect much different statistics from the hotels, ASQ or not. The point is simply that ASQ is a hard commitment, so research is paramount.

OP, you're American aren't you? I can't imagine any other nationality being so concerned/paranoid about all the things you listed. Not a criticism, just an observation.

Hotel  rooms, usually, are used year-round by hundreds of different people who, somehow, manage to survive without going through all the preparations that you list.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BradFinch said:

In the hit documentary "Supersize Me", fast food and a sedentary lifestyle brought Morgan Spurlock to the brink of a heart attack within weeks.

I think the ASQ hotels do have gyms? But who knows whether they manage to keep them Covid free. So another precaution would be to acclimatize oneself to some kind of exercise routine that can be done with no/portable equipment and limited space. (Quite a few of the Scott Sonnon/Tacfit programs fit the bill.)

It would be good to have some more feedback of ratings of various ASQ hotels members have experienced. Unless I’ve missed it I’ve seen little so far. Is this maybe something TV could consider instigating.

For those mocking the op they might want to remember being locked into  a room without escape for 15 nights is something provably none have experienced 

16 hours ago, onebir said:

think the ASQ hotels do have gyms? But who knows whether they manage to keep them Covid free. So another precaution would be to acclimatize oneself to some kind of exercise routine that can be done with no/portable equipment and limited space. (Quite a few of the Scott Sonnon/Tacfit programs fit the bill.)

A valid point. If I recall, that French woman in Samui who ended up positive was staying in a hotel where they found the virus on gym equipment. I'm not sure I'd want to have a vigorous workout in a room that reeked of rubber, for that matter. Maybe bring a workout mat or ask your intended ASQ about it.

9 hours ago, nchuckle said:

It would be good to have some more feedback of ratings of various ASQ hotels members have experienced. Unless I’ve missed it I’ve seen little so far. Is this maybe something TV could consider instigating.

I have indeed seen an ASQ review thread around here. Sorry can't seem to dig it up at the moment. Anyone?

I stayed in this one place in Singapore some years back where they gassed the hallways with this vile smokey stuff to kill the bugs. I found out when I opened the door to my bedroom and noticed that it had saturated the entire rest of the condo. Luckily, I was prepared for such idiocy, so I whipped on my pesticide mask and darted outside. Just imagine if "outside" hadn't been an option, as the smoke was rapidly flowing into the bedroom...

• Sad 1

On 11/8/2020 at 12:07 PM, BradFinch said:

However, it's important to remember that the ASQ certification is all about sanitation, as opposed to the satisfaction of life's basic needs.

Do you have an English language translation of these?  Another forum member asked recently but I was only able to point him in the direction of the Thai version.

2 hours ago, treetops said:

Do you have an English language translation of these?

Sorry, I don't. I also don't think it matters what the requirements are, so much as how they're implemented. Based on the ASQ reviews I've read thus far, it seems clear that sanitation is rigorously enforced. (Hopefully some of that will stick even after the pandemic.) But otherwise, there seems to be a wide variety of support for quality of life while in isolation.

1 hour ago, BradFinch said:

Sorry, I don't. I also don't think it matters what the requirements are, so much as how they're implemented. Based on the ASQ reviews I've read thus far, it seems clear that sanitation is rigorously enforced. (Hopefully some of that will stick even after the pandemic.) But otherwise, there seems to be a wide variety of support for quality of life while in isolation.

I thought not, because from what I could interpret there was nothing much about sanitation as you claimed.