Thai Baht Continues Steady Rise Against USD and Other Currencies

There is no question that further "stimulus" in the US, of at least S2.2 trillion, is in the mill. Pelosi wanted more. Now that Biden and Harris are in the hot seat, expect more than $2.2 tn, from when he is sworn in. The economy is on his list of "to do's", and the Dems are traditionally the party of "tax and spend". Remember, there is no such thing as a free lunch!

The net effect is for sure going to boost stock market indices to even more dizzying heights. Remember, though, that only a few shares will be pulling the index higher - e.g. FB, MS, Alphabet, Amazon, TSLA - the bulk are not performing, and, in a normal economy, would be allowed to tank. Think Lehman Bros. in 2008. 

The dollar has weakened quite considerably of late, as predicted by market-watchers. With additional money-printing (can you hear the machines going brrrrrrr?) the dollar is poised to drop even further, and higher inflation will take hold.

Given this scenario, the THB should become stronger.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, allanos said:

There is no question that further "stimulus" in the US, of at least S2.2 trillion, is in the mill. Pelosi wanted more. Now that Biden and Harris are in the hot seat, expect more than $2.2 tn, from when he is sworn in. The economy is on his list of "to do's", and the Dems are traditionally the party of "tax and spend". Remember, there is no such thing as a free lunch!

That is, only if the Dems manage to get a majority in the Senate, which doesn't seem likely.

Otherwise, you can bet on the Reps to put both feet on the (spending) brakes.

In that case, the Central Bank and its high speed printing machine will have to save the day, and the markets...

9 hours ago, pookett said:

The code for Baht does not seem to work on my PC. Maybe I need an extra font loaded, international keyboard driver or something because I only see a ?

What I do is copy-paste the baht symbol from a Google search for "baht" and perhaps even save the symbol in a text file if I need it often. Copy-paste from online works for many different symbols.

Dexxter:  When we say Alt + 3647 we do NOT mean that you hold down Alt and then while holding that down press the numbers 3647 that are above QWERTYUIOP on the keyboard.  You MUST use the numbers on the separate keypad on the right of the main keyboard, or if on a laptop, press 'Num Lock' and use "lou7" or something similar depending on your keyboard.  Use Microsoft Word and it works in Calibri font in a blank document straight away.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2020 at 3:05 PM, Kwasaki said:

As long as GDP stays above 40 I'm more than fine thanks.

was better when it was 70 baht for many years, something is really fishy about how this baht has stayed strong

i remember 1997 baht jumped from 18 baht to 35 baht for aussie doller overnight man we had a good trip that year

5 hours ago, Brunolem said:

That is, only if the Dems manage to get a majority in the Senate, which doesn't seem likely.

In that case, the Central Bank and its high speed printing machine will have to save the day, and the markets...

That's a nice thought, but Biden is already looking at what he can deliver under an Executive Order, and by-pass Congress (and the Senate).

11 hours ago, Advocate said:

UK nationals have been complaining since 2006 when the exchange rate was > 75 Baht to the GBP after hitting a very brief historic high of ~90 in 1988 after the Asian economic crisis. The long term natural rate appears to be about ~40 which is where it is now and where the average was for 30+ years before the Asian economic crisis of 1997-8.

However the UK economy is looking in bad shape and it could go lower than 40.

The UK is in recession due to ((Boris Johnson)+Brexit+Covid=recession).

It is going to get much worse for the GBP as Joe Biden has already warned comrade Boris Johnson not to screw up Brexit and damage the Irish peace accord. Boris is clueless.

Check it out for yourselves https://fxtop.com/en/historical-exchange-rates-graph-zoom.php?C1=GBP&C2=THB&A=1&DD1=03&MM1=10&YYYY1=1968&DD2=24&MM2=10&YYYY2=2020&LARGE=1&LANG=en&VAR=0&MM1M=0&MM3M=0&MM1Y=0&LOG=&TR=&INDICE=

He hasn,t even been sworn in and bidens making himself busy with other peoples buisness.think biden will have enough problems with the proud boys,blm and antifas.

55 minutes ago, Darksidedude said:

was better when it was 70 baht for many years, something is really fishy about how this baht has stayed strong

i remember 1997 baht jumped from 18 baht to 35 baht for aussie doller overnight man we had a good trip that year

Yeah I don't understand how it works in money markets.

I see that Thailand since I've been here progress, many more people have cars, trucks and bikes , many have all three. 

I came to stay in 2005 and in September that year the baht went to 75 to £1 that was the time I got nearly all my savings over.

I also got all the money from the ATM free back then, it went downhill from then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

What is causing the Thai baht to rise when the economy is still bad?

This doesn't make sense.

Exports exceed imports and a large current balance. It won't change until Thailand imports more than it exports.

23 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

gee i wonder what incredibly bad thing for business and the nation in general just happened in the USA that could have caused this? 

stock market is next.

kiss it all goodbye. 

https://finance.yahoo.com/

In the meanwhile stockmarket is up . If you went short , then you lost a lot of money .

BTW , yes stockmarket will go down later imho , but not at all for the reason you think but because of instability worldwide .

16 hours ago, Brunolem said:

I think they might get to a 50/50 split (depending on Georgia) in which case Kommissar Kamala will have the deciding vote.

฿£฿ - that is copy /paste from  Word as suggested above, can't do it on my keyboard .

Dunno why, the pound works so why not the baht. €  Euro also works fine on my keyboard and using the right hand num pad.

฿  Alt + 3647   not work

£  Alt + 0163  works

€  Alt + 0128  works

º  Alt + 0186  my personal favourite  'degree' like 36ºF

• Like 1

On 11/8/2020 at 6:40 PM, OneeyedJohn said:

How do you get the currency symbol for Baht?

I use Alt + 0163 for £, but can't find how the baht is done.

If using Windows 10 and you have a Thai /English keyboard on your PC, you can select a second preferred language.

Settings-Time and Language-Language. 

To change from one to the other you click on the ENG symbol which will appear on the task bar.   ฿฿฿฿฿

Eng.PNG

Edited by Old Croc

16 hours ago, allanos said:

That's a nice thought, but Biden is already looking at what he can deliver under an Executive Order, and by-pass Congress (and the Senate).

The president can't access money by bypassing the congress, otherwise you can imagine that they all would have helped themselves.

Trump couldn't pass his second relief plan because it was blocked by Pelosi, and Biden will have the same problem with McConnell.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Henryford said:

I think they might get to a 50/50 split (depending on Georgia) in which case Kommissar Kamala will have the deciding vote.

One can imagine that the Reps are going to be extremely vigilant regarding the two Senate runoffs, and won't be "trumped" twice...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brunolem said:

The president can't access money by bypassing the congress, otherwise you can imagine that they all would have helped themselves.

Trump couldn't pass his second relief plan because it was blocked by Pelosi, and Biden will have the same problem with McConnell.

President Trump found some creative ways to build (part of) his southern border wall, by diverting money allocated to military/ defence spending. There are many ways to skin a cat!

5 hours ago, OneeyedJohn said:

฿£฿ - that is copy /paste from  Word as suggested above, can't do it on my keyboard .

Dunno why, the pound works so why not the baht. €  Euro also works fine on my keyboard and using the right hand num pad.

฿  Alt + 3647   not work

£  Alt + 0163  works

€  Alt + 0128  works

º  Alt + 0186  my personal favourite  'degree' like 36ºF

Aha!  Whether or not you get the question mark or the desired character is down to where you are trying to create the character.  For instance, if you do Windows + R to get a short box to type in then you will only get a question mark for the character.  Similarly, it produces a '?' on here too because there isn't a UPC font available, but you WILL get anything that is available like £ or €.  Notepad is no good either but Wordpad is OK as is Word but it's not OK for the rest of the office suite.

Interestingly, you can only type the hexadecimal 0E3F then Alt + X in Microsoft Word and nowhere else I've yet found to get ฿.  So yes, I had to fudge to get ฿ to appear here but then I type my replies in Word so that I can use the spelling checker before posting.

You remind me of someone who uses speech to text for his forum posts, very annoying, as the grammar and punctuation is appalling and can lead to misunderstanding by the reader. It is not a criticism of you, but we all have to understand how technology can sometimes get ahead of us.

• Like 1

Anyway thanks for your perseverance , I know how to get the wretched symbol now if ever I want it.

I lost a 7฿ brick yesterday, it so upset me, I hardly slept, the relief when I found it this afternoon was immense.

Edited by OneeyedJohn
  • Confused 1

19 hours ago, allanos said:

President Trump found some creative ways to build (part of) his southern border wall, by diverting money allocated to military/ defence spending. There are many ways to skin a cat!

Trump got peanuts... a few billions at most... very far from the trillions the Democrats need to finance their program... 

Edited by Brunolem