THE ENGLAND THREAD

3 minus 2

All things England, euros world cup, player selection ect ect . And  for those that don't care..PLEASE  keep it to yourselfs .. there are enuf that do. Thank you.

A busy couple of weeks for Gareth and his squad   Starting on Thursday with  a 'friendly' against the Republic of Ireland at home  ..

Then bac to the nation's cup

An away  game against arguably our  toughest opponents in that competition Belgium,

Followed by a home game against iceland...

3 wins would be great. But offered b4.. i'de QUICKLY take a draw in the Belgium game..

On 11/9/2020 at 5:45 PM, 3 minus 2 said:

Followed by a home game against iceland...

England may have to forfeit Iceland match after Denmark vs Iceland expected to go ahead

UEFA expected to allow Denmark vs Iceland to go ahead as planned in Copenhagen; England due to play Iceland at Wembley next Wednesday, but current Government guidelines do not allow arrivals from Denmark due to new strain of coronavirus in country

England may have to forfeit their final Nations League group game against Iceland due to government policy after Sky Sports News learned that UEFA is expected to sanction Denmark's fixture with the Icelanders in Copenhagen this Sunday.

As things stand, the Government will not allow any of Iceland's players into the country to play the game if they have been in Denmark - where a new strain of coronavirus has been linked to the country's mink farms.

Full story:  https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12016/12128599/england-may-have-to-forfeit-iceland-match-after-denmark-vs-iceland-expected-to-go-ahead

Edited by onthedarkside
font sizes corrected
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Oh and no deletion please....I'm always very interested in England's downfall.

I find it interesting how equate a downfall is when we don't actually play. Usually it's associated with playing and losing like Scotland do ????

• Confused 1

25 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

I find it interesting how equate a downfall is when we don't actually play. Usually it's associated with playing and losing like Scotland do ????

B careful bo... Scotland have actually been winning recently... It may go to their heads a bit and start them thinking theyre actually are good again.. not just playing div 3 international teams   ....a sudden shock to the system ... U never know the  outcome especially for the  v v   oldun's,  who can actually remember when Scotland had a decent team... I know Most are probably  dead   RIP . But  there are still a few around..  and no doubts they'll be vunerable to heart attacks and strokes.. so we better tread carefully..be kind to the poor old jocks.......????

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

We're on a winning streak jinglejangles....suck it up old chap!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, RonniePickering22 said:

We're on a winning streak jinglejangles....suck it up old chap!

Serious question for you Ronnie. You and I grew up when there were loads of real quality Scottish players around. Which is the last Scottish player you thought was real top quality on the European or World stage? (Anyone else have an opinion?)

Maybe ... Mo johnson

3 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Serious question for you Ronnie. You and I grew up when there were loads of real quality Scottish players around. Which is the last Scottish player you thought was real top quality on the European or World stage? (Anyone else have an opinion?)

Tbh can't think of many... The last one at tottenham. Was Richard Gough... Rolls Royce of a defender..As  was Colin hendry but  just after?   striker  Maybe mo johnson.. but either or bloody long time ago.  

6 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Even in '86 Scotland had many competent players and a decent World Cup squad.

I just looked at the squads for '82 and '86 and the best players in those were Kenny Dalglish and Davie Cooper.

So I'd say Davie Cooper as our last player who was just sublime.

As for the last good player look to the Liverpool defence....he's a top top player...we just need ten more!

Not so sure about Keane as the RHS  cb in a three but it'll do  Ming's and hari good to b playin together cos I'm seeing them as the best pairing for a 442 option . I  like James and saki either side  grealish starts and the rest in the.main its a chance to stake a Claim in the 'first team'   as it's NEVER a friendly against s/I it's a good op..

Decent performance at a canter yesterday. 

Southgate needs to find a way of getting Grealish in the A team. He does things no one else can and makes things happen. 
Of the rest I would say Saka impressed and Sancho looked improved compared to his previous England performances. 
Still can’t work out what Mount brings to the party or Winks comes to that. Both decent club players at best. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Decent performance at a canter yesterday. 

Southgate needs to find a way of getting Grealish in the A team. He does things no one else can and makes things happen. 
Of the rest I would say Saka impressed and Sancho looked improved compared to his previous England performances. 
Still can’t work out what Mount brings to the party or Winks comes to that. Both decent club players at best. 

Yeah winks as for us he is for England second string ... to EXCELL at  HI  job in today's game imo you've got to be a lot stronger and far far better defensively.. that's why he's dropped down the peckin order at spurs..  grealish is a class act..I've watched him quite a bit this season and IMO the only thing that's holding him bac if thats the correct term.. he's got to let the ball go earlier... Look for the pass that sets someone up.... And he does get into SO MANY great positions and others read it, and move accordingly,  only for him not to release it  and runs into a blind alley...but get him abit  more 'team" orientated and he defo could be our WOW player for the upcoming tournaments.. suppose it's him or sterling. And sterling delivers goal.  and mount.  He's ok at international level a little light weight  but  as with winks .. second string..

Well.. that's us out of the nation's cup.. we huffed and puffed but couldn't blow their house down.. Belgium were a different team to the one that we last played clinically dirty without being brutal.. Thier weakness is an ageing slowing central defence and at 2 0 they could sit deep and we couldn't exploit that. grealish tried and was brave but ALWAYS quickly  faced with 2/3 defenders...mount disapeared,. Kane found the going tuf ..i've had it where u jump and the marker pushes ure legs from underneath u... U land on ure bac and knocks the stuffin out of u... Kane did well to come bac.. but this was an uncompromising hard Belgium team that WILL NOT be knocked of their no 1 perch easily.. on the goals.. it shouldn't have been a free kic and a PATHETIC jump by our wall. And diets <deleted> poor pass  helped them nicely into a 2.0 lead. But overall no complaints beaten by a very hard working  well organised tuf  expierenced team that no one is going to find easy to beat.. maybe  our  first 11. ?   That could be  a whole different story.  

A game.of no consequence. If there ever is such a thing

A decent performance all around... ATM Every time I watch kane for England .. I keep hearing ' i'de expect kane to have buried that' repeated.  ... I suppose the old 'dont worry bout a striker if he's missin chances  worry if he's not getting them' applies.. however.... yesterday would imo have been a good time to give calv' Lew" another. Start  .. the young eager players staked their claim,  against an Iceland side... Honestly,, a touch out of their depth....good to see Southgate juggle the formation however the midfield ISNT of the same  qualities as the attack...  overall 4.0 was NO flattery.

Oh and by the time the next international comes around  if Abraham's can't get a regular club start... Maybe time to have a look at Watkins  NO DOUBTS he's more than good enuf... and HE WILL BE scoring and starting.

Edited by 3 minus 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...