Prayut: Attack on foreigner damaged Thailand's image

webfact

1 hour ago, Dcheech said:

I was told he made that remark to direct publicity, anger, at farangs, as covid 19 had originated in China, was brought to Thailand by Chinese tourists, and in those early days the public was up in arms about it.

The Chinese are not farangs and Anutin knows that. Besides that he specifically excluded Chinese tourists during his rant at the time.

Biggest damage to Thailand’s reputation is self inflicted . I doubt if the combined intellects of the powers that be could understand why , whereas if I list the FACTS about life and the conditions of living in Thailand and the actual reality of what is masquerading as government,  and presented them to my 16 year old grandson he would “understand “ the problem and shake his head in despair. 

The comments allegedly made by the Russian man are just that 'allegations'.  They could well be falsely made up by the offender as way to mitigate what happened.  I find it incredulous that any foreigner watching a protest with several people would say such a provocative comment and in the presence of his daughter as well.  Like the analogy of putting meat in front of a crocodile - it will snap.  You would have to be incredibly stupid. 

Unless there is independent corroborating evidence to support such comments made I would not be accepting that automatically as what was said.  It would not be the first time fake allegations of words spoken preceding an assault have been made.  Especially when it is you facing charges.  20 years of experience can confirm that people will often lie if they think they it can be used to get out of something or at least to downplay the seriousness. 

I am NOT stating it was not said.  And any associates of the offender who had time to converse prior to his arrest have had to time concoct a defence argument if they were used as corroborating witnesses.  The evidence would/should be deemed unreliable.  An independent corroborator that can be confirmed not to have spoken with offender would support the allegation.  And of course any video/audio footage.  My hearing is shot these days so couldn't hear much of what was going on in the footage and whether unrecorded parts of conversations/slanders were said.  

But some subsequent posters now automatically seem to believe a news report now stating they will go and headbutt a Russian.  Whether that is said out of sarcasm (perhaps) or some have developed a sudden deep hatred based off the report shows how media can easily influence some.  Evidence needs to be scrutinised and tested for its credibility. 

• Haha 1

Just now, PEE TEE said:

Sorry Sir but the damage was done before long time back when the british family got beaten in Hua Hin market including a british woman who got kicked while on the ground by Thai drunken thugs  Plus many other occurrences since . Far worse than a one off head butt  

And the young British couple murdered on Koh Tao wich has had massive publicity and documentaries made about it in the West. All made Thailand out to be not somewhere you would want to go on holiday to.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

it was quite previsible Prayuth would take the high moral ground on this one... Ken Khamma must be delighted to have gained attention from the highest levels of government.

I would guess he won't come off lightly.

Congrats Ken the Headbutter (formerly Ken Mr. Breaker)

Edited by tgw

1 minute ago, aussienam said:

The comments allegedly made by the Russian man are just that 'allegations'.  They could well be falsely made up by the offender as way to mitigate what happened.  I find it incredulous that any foreigner watching a protest with several people would say such a provocative comment and in the presence of his daughter as well.  Like the analogy of putting meat in front of a crocodile - it will snap.  You would have to be incredibly stupid. 

There were several other farangs watching the protest (you can see that on the video) and all appeared to be welcomed. The protesters in general are appealing for Western support. The Russian obviously did something to anger the protesters. Calling them the dregs of society and blaming them for the slump in business (probably his business) would do it.  All of which is of course nonsense.

I have met a number of Russians in Thailand, some of them really nice people but they all share one thing in common. They love and revere Putin and Prayut is a mini me of Putin. He decided to shoot his fat ignorant mouth off to a bunch of peaceful protesters despite having his daughter with him, probably feuelled by copious amounts of vodka.

If he had done the same thing in the UK, it would have had the same result but probably with more damage. In the US he probably would have caught a bullet.

• Haha 1

10k bail is pretty ridiculous.  The sum speaks volumes. Locally they do not acknowledge attacks on foreigners like this as being a very serious offense. I think actually quite a few in Thai likes it. 

Headbutts like this on a foreigner that goes viral will likely cost the Thai economy 100mill thb in revenue a headbutt I guess. ????????

Edited by GeilGeilertzen

Just now, polpott said:

The Chinese are not farangs and Anutin knows that. Besides that he specifically excluded Chinese tourists during his rant at the time.

Did you misunderstand my post, or deliberately misunderstand my post. In the early days of covid, there was a growing public anger at the chinese who had brought it, covid, to Thailand. That had to be changed. -----

'A lady up north (Chiang Mai)  had written signs saying she did not want them (chinese) in her restaurant. In fact police visited to make her take signs down. However stronger measures were needed. Enter Anutin with video crew to direct outrage on an appropriate target (farang)' .

18 minutes ago, polpott said:

There were several other farangs watching the protest (you can see that on the video) and all appeared to be welcomed. The protesters in general are appealing for Western support. The Russian obviously did something to anger the protesters. Calling them the dregs of society and blaming them for the slump in business (probably his business) would do it.  All of which is of course nonsense.

I have met a number of Russians in Thailand, some of them really nice people but they all share one thing in common. They love and revere Putin and Prayut is a mini me of Putin. He decided to shoot his fat ignorant mouth off to a bunch of peaceful protesters despite having his daughter with him, probably feuelled by copious amounts of vodka.

If he had done the same thing in the UK, it would have had the same result but probably with more damage. In the US he probably would have caught a bullet.

Living under a totalitarian regime like Putin's the Rusky probably highly approves of the present Thai govt. That's why he was vocally critical of the protestors. He deserved all he got in my opinion, pity it wasn't Vladimir Vladimirivich himself who copped the headbutt.

9 hours ago, ChipButty said:

RTP the largest organized crime syndicate in the world, Thats a Franchise

9 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Atrocious air quality

No potable water

Floods and droughts

Sea water not safe to swim in

Second highest death toll in the world on the roads

Dual pricing for foreigners

RTP the largest organized crime syndicate in the world

Military dictatorship

No true democracy

Illegal trafficking of labour

Endless scams...property, visas, insurance, jet skis

....and he goes with a head butt on a Russian (of all nationalities) as damage to the Thai image........get a grip man.

(The head butt on a Russian might enhance their image)

You forgot to list the sickest, dumbest and most obnoxious visa requirements in the world.

Image...what image?!? 

The image of unrivaled stupidity? The image of rampant corruption at all levels of "officialdom""? The image of unabashed racism? The image of blatant xenophobia? The image of deadliest roads on earth? The image of projecting superiority when in fact the opposite is true? The image of being extremely oversensitive and too easily offended? The image of  a terrible education system? The image of scamming and gouging? The image of dishonesty? The image of blocking and censoring free speech and expression? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, GreasyFingers said:

I do not know where you come from but try getting a Thai into your own country. Thai immigration is just a few easy hoops to jump through.

Our country even lets ISIS members in who have "lost" their passports in a frying pan full of boiling oil... They're all "traumatised," you know... 

1 minute ago, Skeptic7 said:

Image...what image?!? 

The image of unrivaled stupidity? The image of rampant corruption at all levels of "officialdom""? The image of unabashed racism? The image of blatant xenophobia? The image of deadliest roads on earth? The image of projecting superiority when in fact the opposite is true? The image of being extremely oversensitive and too easily offended? The image of  a terrible education system? The image of scamming and gouging? The image of dishonesty? The image of blocking and censoring free speech and expression? 

Well put! ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Dcheech said:

Did you misunderstand my post, or deliberately misunderstand my post. In the early days of covid, there was a growing public anger at the chinese who had brought it, covid, to Thailand. That had to be changed. -----

So what are you saying? That Anutin blamed farangs to take the pressure off the Chinese?

• Like 1

Let's have some calm around this?  It was a single incident, the protester should not

have attacked this man, no matter what insults he was yelling at him.  It happens

everywhere and this particular incident should not be built into a big anti-protester

(or anti-tourist) drama.  It is a one-off so far and I'm sure the individual protester

understands that 'personal emotional management'  is important. Nevertheless,

we need to remember that these protesters are very genuine about their demands

and so far, they are out there on their own (with some older participants I do believe)

and being mindful of maintaining a measured response to both police activity

and that of individuals who want to rattle them.  I respect what the protesters are

doing, and their right to do so.