Airbnb: Thailand Geared up for Digital Nomads and Work-Cations

webfact

11 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

Hotels with license pay taxes while those profiting from this illegal business evade taxes.. 

Don't forget about the thousands of unlicensed hotels already operating here which the government recently gave an amnesty to, those 'vultures' have been here a lot longer than this website.

This article is ridiculous, there is a freelancer visa coming next month from the Board of Investment, which would allow remote workers & digital nomads to live and work here legally (currently there is no law to regulate this industry.) However, there is no demand for foreigners to come here yet... the entry requirements are far too onerous and renting a place under 30 days is illegal.  

This bit in particular tickled me;

According to a recent YouGov survey commissioned by Airbnb 87% of Thai people found an extended work-cation appealing. With an increased desire and ability to work from anywhere, Airbnb share five reasons why Thailand is a preferred destination for digital nomads.

87% Of Thai people found work-cations appealing, then it starts talking about digital nomads! Would it not be better to talk about which percentage of digital nomads/remote workers found it appealing to come to Thailand? 

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Isn't working as a digital nomad illegal in Thailand?

Immigration officials made it clear on numerous occasions that they have no intention of going after digital nomads, and it would indeed be insane for them to do so - you're talking about people who are spending a lot of money creating jobs for Thais, while not taking up a local job themselves. Net benefit for Thailand.

Thailand should however create an actual visa for this, instead of having digital nomads live in constant uncertainty about their status. Especially now that tourism is dead and the only ones considering coming to Thailand are long-stayers. Every one of those digital nomads will bring Thailand more revenue than an entire group of short-term tourists, with less infection risk.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Isn't working as a digital nomad illegal in Thailand?

No

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Aren't many AirBNB's also illegal in Thailand?

Only if renting out for less than a month and if they don't have a hotel license.

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

I wonder if AirBNB checked with the Thai government before releasing this?

They don't tell anybody to do anything illegal, so what should they check?

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, bodga said:

news to me...when did  this  happen?

The last few months, after the lockdown ended, and lots of Thais were employed again and able to travel. 

2 hours ago, webfact said:

According to a recent YouGov survey commissioned by Airbnb 87% of Thai people found an extended work-cation appealing.

• Confused 3

6 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Immigration officials made it clear on numerous occasions that they have no intention of going after digital nomads, and it would indeed be insane for them to do so - you're talking about people who are spending a lot of money creating jobs for Thais, while not taking up a local job themselves. Net benefit for Thailand.

Thailand should however create an actual visa for this, instead of having digital nomads live in constant uncertainty about their status. Especially now that tourism is dead and the only ones considering coming to Thailand are long-stayers. Every one of those digital nomads will bring Thailand more revenue than an entire group of short-term tourists, with less infection risk.

Yes, that's my point. They might be of benefit in terms of revenue, and immigration might not go after them (for now) but the visa and work permit status is not really clear. Many of them are probably on visa types that forbid working in Thailand. 

Same with AirBnb. Many will be renting out daily/weekly and breaking the law.

47 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Airbnb is not illegal in Thailand, renting for less than 30 days is illegal, that is down to the host

But many owners rent them our for less than 30 days. That's their entire business model. So in many cases it is illegal.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

That is not true. I'm on a digital nomad group for people from my home country and just in the last few days I've heard a dozen people ask about entry requirements to Thailand. Digital nomads is just about the only group of tourists (because that's what they are essentially) who is willing to travel even with such severe restrictions. Unfortunately few of them meet the 6-months in bank account criteria.

Yes, that was exactly my point... they see the requirements and the demand is gone! As a remote worker myself, I disagree with your assertion that few of us can meet the 500k in 6 months requirement - I earned a lot more than that over the last 6 months.

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

Reason 6: it is illegal, so forget reason 1-5.

YOu are correct.   Plus the geniuses running the country now want foreigners to show B500K before entering Thailand.    Malaysia and Vietnam look better all the time.   Hope those highschoolers and college kids can straighten the country out.  Their parents are not up to the job.  That is for sure. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

Don't forget about the thousands of unlicensed hotels already operating here which the government recently gave an amnesty to, those 'vultures' have been here a lot longer than this website.

This article is ridiculous, there is a freelancer visa coming next month from the Board of Investment, which would allow remote workers & digital nomads to live and work here legally (currently there is no law to regulate this industry.) However, there is no demand for foreigners to come here yet... the entry requirements are far too onerous and renting a place under 30 days is illegal.  

This bit in particular tickled me;

87% Of Thai people found work-cations appealing, then it starts talking about digital nomads! Would it not be better to talk about which percentage of digital nomads/remote workers found it appealing to come to Thailand? 

you're right about illegal hotels, there's 190 under investigation in Hua Hin alone. That's just another reason to head this off. That last bit about a survey - I call pure bs on that stat..

11 minutes ago, fangless said:

People that earn lots of money do NOT keep it in a bank account earning near zero interest.

I haven't (and couldn't of,) managed to save any of it anyway...  ????

Edited by 2530Ubon
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Every one of those digital nomads will bring Thailand more revenue than an entire group of short-term tourists,

I would say from my experience this is false.

The 2 week millionaires spend much more then the mostly inconsistent online sales granola eating stay in a hostel digital nomads.

They come here to live cheaply as opposed to the tourists who are here to enjoy a holiday spending more money.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I would say from my experience this is false.

The 2 week millionaires spend much more then the mostly inconsistent online sales granola eating stay in a hostel digital nomads.

They come here to live cheaply as opposed to the tourists who are here to enjoy a holiday spending more money.

Hang on, I thought you were describing the average O visa crew, the pensioners.

We can make grand assumptions like the one's you and I just made, or we can accept that there are plenty of both knocking about in Thailand.

Not everyone under 50 is a backpacking tourist shacked up in some dingy hostel with an oversized backpack stuffed to the seams, or a struggling youtuber quaffing micro brewed coffee in an overpriced cafe.

Similarily, not everyone over 50 is going to marry a young Thai bar girl, whom they picked out from one of the gogo clubs where they frequently nurse a single, lukewarm Leo/Chang beer in all night.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1