Flights grounded, Thai Airways pilot becomes Grab driver

rooster59

My Lazada purchases frequently are delivered by a guy who claims that he used to be a pilot for Thai Air Asia before being laid off due to the Covid-19 crisis. His English is rather cultured so I tend to believe him.

As for the Grab driver in this article, is he subjecting his passengers to an elaborate safety demonstration and handing out tiny packets of peanuts?

• Like 2

Friend of my wife is a pilot for Thai also; he barely flies these days and gets about the same monthly salary an office worker gets.

Its enough to stay alive but of course doesn't cover his mortgage, car payments, or school fees of his kids. Must be hard to have to do a step back: going from almost unlimited income and being able to get 90% discount on plane tickets to making every baht count and having little to do every day.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Will all these  people  looking for a job contact me, I give free  house , electric, water, motorbike 1  person although 2  could  live there if they want but will have to find another job nearby, 15k a  month, take care of  our  land  and garden, no slackers  required expect theyll be queuing up down the road tomorrow.................NOT

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

My Lazada purchases frequently are delivered by a guy who claims that he used to be a pilot for Thai Air Asia before being laid off due to the Covid-19 crisis. His English is rather cultured so I tend to believe him.

As for the Grab driver in this article, is he subjecting his passengers to an elaborate safety demonstration and handing out tiny packets of peanuts?

Did I tell you that I was an astronaut working for NASA?

I've met so many people here who were rich back home ( listening to them) , but couldn't buy a beer. I'm talking about foreigners now. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

Friend of my wife is a pilot for Thai also; he barely flies these days and gets about the same monthly salary an office worker gets.

Sometimes I wonder about the salary of some jobs.    Do things get out of skew?   Pilots are important in getting people where they want to go but so are  locomotive drivers, taxi drivers, and etc.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, welshguy said:

Lol!!

We must be meeting the same people! Ive met so many millionaires, people with multiple houses, super model wives, , gangsters, killers, etc etc etc  (all of them farang of course_............All of them though...would know where the cheapest beer was at any given time, also they seemed to have an extraordinary sense for smelling ballons!  Lol!

OMG, are you talking about the ABG, the Archa Beer Gang?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Andy from Kent said:

Sometimes I wonder about the salary of some jobs.    Do things get out of skew?   Pilots are important in getting people where they want to go but so are  locomotive drivers, taxi drivers, and etc.

Considering what the Prime Minister does and how, he should be on 300 baht/day.  

18 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

He gets the peanuts for a salary, from a "sky taxi driver" to a land based one.

A rather large drop in altitude and money.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

To become a pilot you need special skills, invest tons of money into your education, and be lucky enough to find a job once you graduate and be able to pay back all your loans. To become a taxi driver you need to rent a car for 1,000 baht a day. 

Sure you can pay pilots less, until they fly your aircraft into a mountain (Lufthansa) or disappear off radar with your millions costing airplane (Malaysian Airlines). I hope the pilot flying my plane gets paid enough, just as i hope the surgeon who will operate on me has a comfortable life outside of work. 

Commercial pilot, two years training....... Engineer, five.......  As my pilot friend says..... " What do you drive, taxi or bus " ?   

• Confused 1

20 hours ago, bodga said:

Will all these  people  looking for a job contact me, I give free  house , electric, water, motorbike 1  person although 2  could  live there if they want but will have to find another job nearby, 15k a  month, take care of  our  land  and garden, no slackers  required expect theyll be queuing up down the road tomorrow.................NOT

A week ago or so I received an email from the Belgian Embassy in BKK (email sent to all Belgians registered at the consulate). They're looking for a gardener for the small but very beautiful Embassy garden in BKK. Salary 18000/mo. Obviously they're looking for a Thai but maybe our Thai wives/TGF know somebody ? ????

18 hours ago, Andy from Kent said:

Clearly you have no idea what is involved in becoming an airline pilot or the responsibility entrusted.

• Like 1

On 11/13/2020 at 10:21 PM, rooster59 said:

“The sky is closed,” pilot Mahesak Wongpa wrote on Facebook in a post sharing his story about becoming a Grab driver. Wahesak says he needed to do something useful in his spare time.

Slightly confused.  The name changes from Mahesak to Wahesak then back to Mahesak.  Anybody else in the same state of bewilderment?

Rooster, which name is correct?

'nuf sed.