As legal blitz flounders, Trump protesters back false election claims

rooster59

I'm not a Trump fan.  Never have been.  I won't miss him if he lost.

But they need to hand count the ballots from Georgia.  If there are no significant discrepancies, he needs to concede and the nation needs to move on.  If they don't audit the results with at least one 100% hand recount, there will always be a cloud over the results.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, impulse said:

But they need to hand count the ballots from Georgia.  If there are no significant discrepancies, he needs to concede and the nation needs to move on.  If they don't audit the results with at least one 100% hand recount, there will always be a cloud over the results.

Even in the extremely unlikely event that the hand count in Georgia swings the state to Trump, Biden will still have more than enough electoral college votes to become President.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, heybruce said:
5 hours ago, impulse said:

Even in the extremely unlikely event that the hand count in Georgia swings the state to Trump, Biden will still have more than enough electoral college votes to become President.

True.  But it would indicate there's something amiss with the count.  And if it happened in Georgia...

Just to be clear, I'm hoping it comes in legit and sticks a fork in any thought there was malfeasance.  But we need to know.

Edited by impulse

18 hours ago, placeholder said:

Claiming that the situation has to be resolved is in effect supporting the contention of Trump and others that the election was tainted by fraud. There is no good evidence of this. What's more, once the vote is resolved in favor of Biden, Trump supporters won't accept the results if Trump doesn't. There will always be some conspiracy theory or others that they will subscribe to.

If the election is thrown back to the House Trump will win!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

But why would that happen unless there was a tie vote?

I'll leave that up to other members to try and answer.  I am not up on the machinations going on that might result in the electoral college being tied. 

I suspect there is some reason that Trump and the GOP are not conceding the election and it doesn't appear to be based on the legal decisions thus far.

1 minute ago, Scott said:

I'll leave that up to other members to try and answer.  I am not up on the machinations going on that might result in the electoral college being tied. 

I suspect there is some reason that Trump and the GOP are not conceding the election and it doesn't appear to be based on the legal decisions thus far.

I guess I shouldn't have framed that as a question. It is the case that it only comes into play when there's a tie.

Presidential election

If no candidate for president receives an absolute majority of the electoral votes, pursuant to the 12th Amendment, the House of Representatives is required to go into session immediately to choose a president from among the three candidates who received the most electoral votes. Each state's delegation votes en bloc, with each having a single vote. A candidate must receive an absolute majority of state delegation votes (currently 26 votes) to become the president-elect. The House continues balloting until it elects a president.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contingent_election#:~:text=If no candidate for president,received the most electoral votes.

I think that they are pinning their hopes on Republican state legislatures appointing Republican electors in those states where the Republicans are the majority in the legislature but the states voters chose Biden.

6 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

I support Trump , seems like he lost the election .

I accept Bidens next four years , move on 

It seems to have evaded you that it is Trump who is refusing to accept defeat and ‘move on’.

But moving on is what will happen, and not because you or anyone else gives the instruction to do so.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, impulse said:

Because the other guy (and his career politician cronies) are worse.  The founding fathers didn't intend for politicians to latch onto the gub'ment breast and hold on until they retired.  They wanted citizens to leave their offices, put down their plows, and go serve for a few years.  Then go back and have to live in the country they were creating.

I remember well what Thomas Jefferson said in that regard: " Better that we who have toiled in the government's service too long return to our plows though it should mean ignorant, dishonest and vindictive citizens should replace us all. For a decent respect for one's fellow citizens matter not one whit when weighed against the destructive force that is prolonged service to ones' country."

(These remarks came to me by way of a séance.) 

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, polpott said:

The count is underway. Early reports suggest that the outcome will be an even greater win for Biden. Any attempts at electoral fraud will have come from the Trump camp.

Could just be which stack of votes they counted first.  That's what happened the first time around- but in the other direction...

In any case, I'll wait for the fat lady to sing.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, impulse said:

Could just be which stack of votes they counted first.  That's what happened the first time around- but in the other direction...

In any case, I'll wait for the fat lady to sing.

Actually, it happened in both directions. For some reason or other, it only concerns Trump supporters if the shift is from blue to red.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

I guess I shouldn't have framed that as a question. It is the case that it only comes into play when there's a tie.

Presidential election

If no candidate for president receives an absolute majority of the electoral votes, pursuant to the 12th Amendment, the House of Representatives is required to go into session immediately to choose a president from among the three candidates who received the most electoral votes. Each state's delegation votes en bloc, with each having a single vote. A candidate must receive an absolute majority of state delegation votes (currently 26 votes) to become the president-elect. The House continues balloting until it elects a president.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contingent_election#:~:text=If no candidate for president,received the most electoral votes.

I think that they are pinning their hopes on Republican state legislatures appointing Republican electors in those states where the Republicans are the majority in the legislature but the states voters chose Biden.

The vote doesn't have to be a tie.  If no candidate gets 270 electoral votes then the 12th Amendment kicks in. 

At this point that can only happen if enough state governments declare that the election results in their states are sufficiently in doubt to cause them to either send in uncommitted electors or commit their electors to Trump in spite of the vote results.  This would cause monumental legal problems and probably riots.

Edited by heybruce

5 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

That's not going to happen.

[Republican leaders in four critical states won by President-elect Joe Biden say they won’t participate in a legally dubious scheme to flip their state’s electors to vote for President Donald Trump. Their comments effectively shut down a half-baked plot some Republicans floated as a last chance to keep Trump in the White House.]

[State GOP lawmakers in Arizona, Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin have all said they would not intervene in the selection of electors, who ultimately cast the votes that secure a candidate's victory. Such a move would violate state law and a vote of the people, several noted.]

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/gop-leaders-in-4-states-quash-dubious-trump-bid-on-electors/ar-BB1b03O2

Good to know that there are some GOP leaders who won't gut democracy to appease Trump.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, heybruce said:

The vote doesn't have to be a tie.  If no candidate gets 270 electoral votes then the 12th Amendment kicks in. 

At this point that can only happen if enough state governments declare that the election results in their states are sufficiently in doubt to cause them to either send in uncommitted electors or commit their electors to Trump in spite of the vote results.  This would cause monumental legal problems and probably riots.

Thanks for the correction. So that's the slender reed that the diehard election denialists are counting on.

Edited by placeholder
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Mental laziness.

The world is full of people who don't want to do research and think things through.  The kind of laziness that leads people to get their "news" from the 24 hour infotainment channels and click-bait topics they find on the internet. 

These people want a loud leader who will promise easy answers to difficult problems and will offer convenient scapegoats to blame these problems on.  In Trump's case the scapegoats are non-white immigrants and his non-white predecessor. 

The fact that Trump failed to deliver on key promises--the wall paid for by Mexico, better and cheaper healthcare than the ACA provides, deficit reduction, draining the swamp, etc.--doesn't register on them.  These people have very short, easy to manipulate memories.  They were convinced early on that the economy was terrible under Obama, when it clearly wasn't.

Brilliant....cheers.