Thai PM says he will respect ruling of Constitutional Court, whatever the outcome

webfact

Thai PM says he will respect ruling of Constitutional Court, whatever the outcome

9E20E8BD-981A-4A50-A809-AE14FD2E13AD.jpe

Thailand’s Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said today that he will accept and respect the verdict of the Constitutional Court, expected this Wednesday, whatever the outcome and he has not thought about a Plan B, in case the verdict goes against him.

The charter court is to deliver its verdict in a case in which he is accused, by the opposition Pheu Thai party, of illegally overstaying at the official residence of the army commander-in-chief, after his retirement from the post, without paying any rent,which is deemed to be a conflict of interest and in violation of the Constitution.  If the court rules against him, he will lose his premiership.

The prime minister said that he is not that worried about the court’s decision, adding that, if it is against him, it will make the decision about his future easier. Regarding the official residence of the prime minister, at Ban Phitsanuloke, which has been under renovation for quite a long time, the prime minister said that the house is too big for his family, adding that he will decide whether to move in once renovation work is completed.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thai-pm-says-he-will-respect-ruling-of-constitutional-court-whatever-the-outcome/

thaipbs.jpg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The prime minister said that he is not that worried about the court’s decision, adding that, if it is against him, it will make the decision about his future easier

Not sure I understand the sentiment in this remark. 

Sounds a bit like he's saying that if he's s***canned then he doesn't even care anyway.  

4 hours ago, webfact said:

whatever the outcome and he has not thought about a Plan B

Right... But hasn't he said countless times that he has to be in his position and he's the only one who can do the job? Talking ad nauseam about how he works so tirelessly for the Thai people because he cares so much. I'm confused. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Not sure I understand the sentiment in this remark. 

He's made no secret of his desire to get a seat, maybe as President, on the Privvy Council, and assuming the "Prem" role for this and the next monarch.

Drum beats for the Constitutional Court, this is the same court who ruled:

Constitution says- when you take office you must quote this.....

Politicians- Do not quote the quote Constitution says you must do

Constitutional Court- They have no authority over that so cannot rule...

4 hours ago, colinneil said:

Anybody who thinks the decision will go against Prayut is living in a dream world.

time to vote....all who agree with letting off the hook raise your hand,  1,2,3..99....199...what??? all of you 555

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, tomazbodner said:

Well, he could be replaced by a hardline nationalist who kicks all foreigners out of the country. This forum might become a very lonely place.

Be careful what you wish for.

Yes, I remember when a very important person died and some people thought that would be the end of Thailand's famous hospitality. Nothing changed. People forgot quickly and the country continued to go backwards under the junta.

Whoever might take over won't actually be in charge. Sure, they can make big decisions and make life harder for people - but this will ultimately just speed up their own demise and exit. 

All foreigners being kicked out is a tired old trope from foreigners who overestimate their significance in Thailand. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Some other nuance as a hindrance maybe that Prayut belonged to the Queens Guard faction of the military (same guard that lead the revolution against the king in 1932) versus the king's guard faction that now seems to predominate the army's top ranks. 

The leading faction in the military now are the Red Rims. But the majority of them are recruited from the King's Guards rather from the Queen's Guard. The power of the Queen's Guard has been dwindling recently.

It's quite possible that tomorrow's verdict might not be in favour of Prayut. But if he gets retired tomorrow, he will be able to spend his retirement in well protected in luxury, though. It's all only a face saving game, and only to the worse of the country. 

Apirat is definitely selected to have a powerful future. But I doubt that he will be appointed immediately after Prayut will have left. The uproar would be too severe. Even the Dino's are aware of that.

• Like 2

Some posts attempting to bring the King into the discussion have been removed:

1) You will not express disrespect of the King of Thailand or any one member of the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution.

By law, the Thai Royal Family are above politics. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family.

To breach these rules will result in an immediate ban.

Linking to external sites which break these rules will be treated as if you yourself posted them.

1 hour ago, Flying Saucage said:

The leading faction in the military now are the Red Rims. But the majority of them are recruited from the King's Guards rather from the Queen's Guard. The power of the Queen's Guard has been dwindling recently.

It's quite possible that tomorrow's verdict might not be in favour of Prayut. But if he gets retired tomorrow, he will be able to spend his retirement in well protected in luxury, though. It's all only a face saving game, and only to the worse of the country. 

Apirat is definitely selected to have a powerful future. But I doubt that he will be appointed immediately after Prayut will have left. The uproar would be too severe. Even the Dino's are aware of that.

Going by the constitution I don't think Apirat would be eligible to be PM. The most likely and eligible candidate is Anutin. 

I just want to see Prayut gone. He grates on me too much. At least with Anutin it might more likely we'll be able to buy weed very easily. Gotta look for that silver lining. 

• Like 1