A plate of somtam for 150 baht

ChipButty

Not surprising. But hey there are plenty of shops. Just go to another and get some somtam for 30-40 THB.

Next time, you could ask how much and then say no, it's too expensive and walk away!?

Time to learn some Thai! Maybe?

How many chili do you put in yours? 3 for me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Solinvictus said:

Not surprising. But hey there are plenty of shops. Just go to another and get some somtam for 30-40 THB.

Next time, you could ask how much and then say no, it's too expensive and walk away!?

Time to learn some Thai! Maybe?

How many chili do you put in yours? 3 for me.

I speak more than enough Thai, that was about local people complaining 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ezzra said:

An opportunistic price gauging they call it, i make a habit to either ask or look at the menu before ordering, saved me a lot of arguments over the years...

Me too, I was about to order chicken fried rice one night in a bar then I clocked the price 190 Baht all of a sudden I wasn't hungry, another night I thought I will have a naam soda 85 Baht and thats just in a local bar, I actually pointed that out to the owner he got the hump with me, 

1 minute ago, dbrenn said:

That's a surprise. Are there really no Thai cooks in NY?

The restuarant may be owned by Thais...but in NYC by far the go to kitchen staff for ANY ethnic cuisine is Mexican. It's not just cheaper...but there is a city in Mexico (I forget the name) that actually preps locals for kitchen jobs in America...by the time they land they know how to chop shallots, make basic sauces, cook fish, etc. So most owners in NYC use this pipeline for their staffing...more reliable than dealing with others who may not be as well prepped on day one. (My friend used to own a place in NYC and one in NJ...this is what everyone does)

• Like 1

I have had some good and bad som tams. If they don't overcharge then they can come out with a really small amount of papaya, or way too much salty sauce, or no chilis for tourists.  The good ones though are worth it and if they have  fried chicken and a beer to go with it all the better.  

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy

Maybe they were trying to take advantage of the scheme a few people in Phuket have been done for it

277 people had filed complaints via the department's hotline 1569 about stores taking undue advantage of the “Khon La Khrueng” (Let's Go Halves) scheme.

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Considering I could have a fried rice chicken meal for 50 baht, even allowing for inflation, 150 is taking the **** IMO.

Talk's cheap on the 'net. In reality they'd charge you 150 baht for your fried rice chicken meal as well. Why not?