There is still the chance of a Brexit deal, Merkel says

snoop1130

4 hours ago, pacovl46 said:

You mean how long is it gonna take before the price hike of all the stuff the UK imports from the EU due to the taxes they will have to pay soon will start to p... off the general public in the UK?! 

Did I really mean that do you think?

I suppose what I really meant was what I actually wrote, not what what YOU think I wrote.

Please don't twist my post as it is not polite or good manners.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, DefaultName said:

The EU still haven't "got" that the UK wants to rule itself again.  If we take the deal they're offering, we might as well stay in, they'd still be controlling us.

Look at fisheries, OK, it's only a tiny percentage of trade, but they're fish from OUR waters, why on earth should we allow foreign boats to take the loins share?  It'll disrupt their business, yes, but they are the ones who set up businesses that depend on fishing the waters of another country, not us.  I come from a fishing village where EU boats have destroyed the livelihoods of family's who fished for hundreds of years, so forgive me if I get heated on this one.

Out is Out.  Don't weaken now Boris.  ????????????????????????????????????

What's at stakes for the EU is having the UK exporting cheap fraudulent Chinese (but not only) products to the EU, for instance... not fishes heading more and more North, anyway, due to CC.

Edited by Opl
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Opl said:

What's at stakes for the EU is having the UK exporting cheap fraudulent Chinese (but not only) products to the EU, for instance... not fishes heading more and more North, anyway, due to CC.

But the EU don't actually HAVE to buy anything that the UK exports.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, fishtank said:

Not a problem for EU but a big problem for UK.

UK is a small insignificant country  cast aside on it's own by choice.

I hope the racist zenpophopic brexiteers are now realising the damage that they have done but I doubt it.

Sad.

Be ashamed of yourself for posting utter drivel.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, vogie said:

The British consumer will just eat more Cheddar than Brie, and when people come and visit France people will ask, 'whats that smell?' and the reply will be 'its all the stank rancid cheese in our warehouse we cannot export'

You’re acting like the UK is that huge country that buys most of the stuff that’s produced in the EU and after Brexit companies in the EU won’t sell anything anymore. Newsflash, losing the UK will put a little dent in the EU sales, whereas the UK losing the EU market will put a massive dent in theirs! But hey, who cares right! We’ll talk again in a year from now! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, JonnyF said:

It won't take long. In fact, it will annoy them so much that they start purchasing alternative goods at cheaper prices from countries that signed a trade deal with the UK. About 30 so far (including the likes of Japan, South Korea, Canada etc.) with 20 more agreed in principle. 

Still, the French fisherman and German car workers that lose their jobs will no doubt be delighted that the EU has sacrificed their livelihoods to 'punish' the UK for having the temerity to leave it's corrupt anti democratic protectionist racket. 

???? dito! The UK is so much smaller than the EU and therefore your losses will be infinitely higher! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, billd766 said:

Did I really mean that do you think?

I suppose what I really meant was what I actually wrote, not what what YOU think I wrote.

Please don't twist my post as it is not polite or good manners.

Hey, you’re free to post what you want and so am I! And I’m not twisting anything, it was just my ironic take on your post. By the way, there was a question mark at the end of my post, so technically speaking I’ve been asking you a question. 

The whole import/export thing goes both ways and the EU is a much larger market than the UK, therefore the UK will naturally be at the ‘losing more’ end.

Edited by pacovl46

22 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The European Union and Britain could still reach a Brexit trade agreement but the bloc's 27 remaining members are prepared to live with no deal if necessary, German Chancellor Angela Merkel said on Wednesday.

No <deleted> Sherlock....And there is always a chance Santa Claus is real too.

So many politicians saying so many things. Yes, there is a chance. Still a chance while talks continue. Talks stop, either a deal has been done, or no deal has been done...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Quite possibly. At massively inflated prices of course, because the EU has been unable to secure a decent trade deal with Thailand as well. 

I wonder if they were demanding unfettered fishing access to the gulf of Thailand? Or every time they changed one of their laws the Thais had to follow or face huge penalties? I wonder what the Thais would have said to that? Makes you realize how ridiculous their demands are, absolutely delusional.????

Mate, people who want to buy Mercedes and Beavers will continue to do so, because these cars a status symbols. Someone who can afford to buy them doesn’t worry about a few thousand more here or there. Just like people who want to buy an Aston or a Jag will continue to do so. You’re acting like no one will ever buy anything from the EU ever again and that’s just wishful thinking! 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, billd766 said:

Probably. But the EU have been told over the years that no deal is better than a bad deal.

It would appear that the EU negotiating team didn't believe or accept that.

I expect of MY government to negotiate till the last minute. so 31 Dec 2020, 23:59

Even when the chance is less that that of getting a diamond of 1 kg.  ( and my expectation is, the chance of making a deal with the British, which stands longer than one year is total absolute zero. )

20 hours ago, fishtank said:

Not a problem for EU but a big problem for UK.

UK is a small insignificant country  cast aside on it's own by choice.

I hope the racist zenpophopic brexiteers are now realising the damage that they have done but I doubt it.

Sad.

Till now, not even one UK exporter of manufacturer got any EU allowance number to export meat or fish to the EU.

Ask any Thai exporter of these items... and have pity with the UK farmers and fishermen.

This aside of the WTO import duty for "third countries" on many UK products into the EU, making them then out-of-competition. However, with a crash of 1GBP = € 1,10 towards € 0,90 a lot could be solved.

Last-but-not-least, for those who still can afford: a Schengen visa, international driver licence + insurances when travelling into the EU

Meat processors send ‘stark warning’ on Brexit: Trade volumes ‘could drop 50-75%’

The UK’s largest beef, lamb, pork and chicken processors have warned that if Brexit preparedness efforts aren’t accelerated, trade volumes of products of animal origin could drop 50-75%.... Read more

EU import conditions for seafood and other fishery products The European Union (EU) is by far the world’s biggest importer of fish, seafood and aquaculture products. Import rules for these products are harmonised, meaning that the same rules apply in all EU countries.
ec.europa.eu/food/sites/food/files/safety/docs/ia_trade_import-cond-fish_en.pdf

9 hours ago, JonnyF said:

It won't take long. In fact, it will annoy them so much that they start purchasing alternative goods at cheaper prices from countries that signed a trade deal with the UK. About 30 so far (including the likes of Japan, South Korea, Canada etc.) with 20 more agreed in principle. 

Still, the French fisherman and German car workers that lose their jobs will no doubt be delighted that the EU has sacrificed their livelihoods to 'punish' the UK for having the temerity to leave it's corrupt anti democratic protectionist racket. 

I worry more about the UK farmers, and.. the financial service of the City of London.

EU car makers... will fill the gap the British car makers will loose seen 10% import duty on UK made cars. But maybe... when the GBP will drop a 15%  compared with the €uro ?

9 hours ago, vogie said:

So what the EU are saying is that they have the right to change any law and the UK will have to submit to that law or they will punish us, doesn't sound like regaining our sovereignty to me.

Correct. Just as Thailand can change any law, for instance for farangs to stay in their country.

8 hours ago, luckyluke said:

These people will of course not be delighted, they will have to look for another job ( not that easy ), and in the meantime live with state benefits.

This will of course cost money, so it is expected that every citizen in the E.U. will have to pay for it.

Not that nice for the man in the street.

On the other hand he will have the moral satisfaction that the E.U. hasn't abide to the demands of a country, which left the Union.

A country which think, because it has a specific nationality, the E.U. ( if not the World ) should simply acknowledge their requests, and astonished that others may have different view and proposals on a situation, labelling these proposals as totally unacceptable.

Their own propositions being of course, the only fair ones.

The British still believe, negotiations are as they were used to do, under Kitchiner etc: the British Empire commands, and the other party has to swallow. When all done nice, maybe they will throw a few bones more...

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

How can Merkel know, as she is only the head of one country and its a 27 strong decision isn't it, according to some posters on here with equal veto rights????.

"know." ? .. there is a chance till 31 Dec 20 23:59.... every normal thinking person knows...  Chance maybe close-to zero, but that's another thing.

Remind also, Merkel is an impertant member in the EU council, the ONLY place decisions are made. Till 31 dec 2019 the UK had also a decision vote in that cremium. Now, Boris has to wait outside... talk with the president of the execution committee and does not get any from the EU council to speak.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, JonnyF said:

The man on the street won't feel any satisfaction when he can't put food on the table for his family.

You do realize we're only proposing the same deal Canada has? Nothing special, nothing exceptional. Just a bog standard FTA.

You might want to ask yourself why the EU is so terrified of the UK's 'unfair' competition. What's unfair about it? It's like Claude Juncker entering a race with Usain Bolt and complaining that it's unfair that Bolt is so fit and sober and therefore demanding he wears a "fat man suit" and downs 3 bottles of wine before the race.

They're terrified of us, which is strange considering the Remainers think we're so small, weak and insignificant. Clearly the EU don't agree with that synopsis.

When the EU agrees with a deal, it is not the UK who wants to change some important parts within a year.

So, if... the EU will not implace anti-dumping regulations to correct swindle of the UK as soon as the treaty is signed..

7 hours ago, JonnyF said:

And German carmakers, and French winemakers, cheese makers, farmers, the list goes on.

Wouldn't that break their precious rules on state aid? Oh I forgot, the EU consistently breaks it's own laws when it suits them.

The EU is not the UK

6 hours ago, JonnyF said:

I think the EU will need a few more years to comprehend that we have actually left before it will be useful to reopen the talks.

4 1/2 years since the vote and they still think we're a colony of the EU. I think it will take at least another 5 years after we leave for them to really 'get it'. It would appear their elected selected leaders are not the sharpest tools in the shed.

Till 31 Dec 2019

one of the 28 members of the only decision body of the EU, the EU council, was the UK prime minister.

In the executive beard, also know as the EU committee, one of its 28 members was a British counselor, appointed by the UK Government

In the EU Parliament, 75 British members were elected in.

where you get the idea of "colony" from ? Maybe from the Scots, the Northern Irish and the Welsh ?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Really? You're quite the mind reader. Very impressive.????

Seriously though, I listened to all of them and 90% of it was garbage from BOTH sides. I ignored most of it, I'd been following the machinations of the EU for years and knew exactly the anti Democratic federalist superstate they were pursuing. I wanted no part of it, irrespective of a few % of GDP.

Obviously being from North of the border the pounds and pennies were all that mattered to you. Oh, and getting away from those nasty English.

So you openly admit you ignored what the campaigns were saying and you now find yourself calling for a no deal Brexit?

I wonder how much of that is down to personal gain with a hugely devalued pound and you being in Thailand and paid in baht.

6 hours ago, StevieAus said:

From what I have been reading and following in the media there is a massive trade imbalance between the EU and UK in favour  of the EU so I thought it would be those on the other side of the channel who should be worried.

Look into WHICH products go from the UK into the EU ( mostly industrial products, which ONLY originate from the UK because of a kompetitive (price) advantage. With some WTO-import duty Third countries, this will be soon over. Unless an exchange drop from 1GBP = € 1,10 towards € 0,90 or so. ( was in 2016 € 1,35-1,40, good job done....) 

From the EU towards the UK it is not so easy to replace. Unless of course you like frozen foods from.. Australia, Argentina etc.

• Like 1