UK tells EU: back down by Sunday night or we'll walk

snoop1130

Barnier wants 'punishment clause' hitting UK with huge sanctions if Boris blocks EU boats

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1372360/Brexit-news-UK-EU-Michel-Barnier-fishing-trade-deal-update-latest

By JOE BARNES, BRUSSELS CORRESPONDENT
PUBLISHED: 14:00, Mon, Dec 14, 2020 | UPDATED: 14:02, Mon, Dec 14, 2020

MICHEL Barnier has introduced a punishment clause that could see Britain slapped with trade sanctions if European fishermen are locked out of UK coastal waters in the future, EU sources have revealed

The Brussels diplomat set out plans to restrict access to the EU’s market for British firms if European fishermen are largely locked out of British waters in the future. In a series of private Brussels briefings, the Frenchman accused Downing Street of “backtracking” on its own proposals for a three-year transition period for fishing rights. Under the original plan, the extremely generous catch shares European trawlermen enjoy would be gradually phased down.ces have revealed.

Mr Barnier told MEPs that Britain would have to face “consequences” for any future decisions to close its fishing grounds to European vessels. The Frenchman raised the prospect of economic sanctions – such as trade tariffs – being introduced to counter any such moves by Downing Street.

Edited by david555
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

You know the Express is not the most truthful source imaginable, it's both ultra-conservative and a tabloid

now evidently you know its hard to trust the word (or even the signature) of Britain nowadays.. So yes, sadly we must envision that the current Johnson Government signs a deal only to renege a few months after.

of course the best scenario is "the UK does not lie", this is what we all wish

AFAIK there were no "punishment clauses" in deals passed with Britain before, because the word of Britain used to be truthful. 

I just brought it as i know it is on right wing hand ...but also as i think many things go on behind the scene .......including the whole proces of ratification in case a deal on both sides  would be agreed , they are in strange way messing up with  ....finding bypassings way's....and i mean really on both sides adapting their legal procedures at their respective conviniance....really a worrying evolution in Brussels aswel in London 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

You know the Express is not the most truthful source imaginable, it's both ultra-conservative and a tabloid

now evidently you know its hard to trust the word (or even the signature) of Britain nowadays.. So yes, sadly we must envision that the current Johnson Government signs a deal only to renege a few months after.

of course the best scenario is "the UK does not lie", this is what we all wish

AFAIK there were no "punishment clauses" in deals passed with Britain before, because the word of Britain used to be truthful. 

Quote: AFAIK there were no "punishment clauses" in deals passed with Britain before, because the word of Britain used to be truthful. 

The decline of an empire. How sad.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, david555 said:

I just brought it as i know it is on right wing hand ...but also as i think many things go on behind the scene .......including the whole proces of ratification in case a deal on both sides  would be agreed , they are in strange way messing up with  ....finding bypassings way's....and i mean really on both sides adapting their legal procedures at their respective conviniance....really a worrying evolution in Brussels aswel in London 

Yes, that is what I worry about too.

The uk - oh well, 52% voted for this nonsense., let them bear the consequences of their collective stupidity.

But I fear the European politicians will let us down too, again.

A strong, unified Europe is what we need.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

A strong, unified Europe is what we need.

We have signed trade deals with Singapore, Vietnam and many other non European Countries  .

You know, non European/ White people/Counties .

Rather telling about who are the racists and who want a strong unified Europe 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

But you wont vote them out will you?

The last three conservative governments have been the worst in history. Each one consecutively worse than the last.

But you guys keep voting for them.

If they start sending kids up chimneys it's safe to say the Tories won't get a majority...

1 minute ago, CorpusChristie said:

Have a shovel 

OK I will answer your question.

Europe should be united against tax heavens, countries that use slave labour, countries that allow pollution, counties that manipulate currencies, and so on.

And who knows? A united Europe could be a step to a united world, without racism and nationalism - as envisaged by a UK 18th century philosopher, William Godwin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Correct, the voters voted in good trust.

But they  were clearly uninformed/unawared. 

It's like asking :

"you want a water or a beer?"

When the majority opted for a beer, they are than informed that the beer is not available right away , as there are negotations going on with the browery, and that it may cost 1000 Baht. 

haha..... or to be told that the only beer available is Heineken.......

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

Despite positive signs on the so-called level playing field provisions, Barnier claimed talks over a deal on fishing had gone backwards, raising the risk they could run deep into December.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/dec/14/brexit-trade-deal-possible-within-days-after-johnson-concession-says-eu?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Not everything going the EU way

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

A number of baiting, bickering, nonsense remarks and replies removed.   When you have nothing to add to the discussion, it might be wise to stop posting.   This prevents a moderator from stopping you from posting.  

• Like 1