Bangkok taxis moan: New bag fees have only increased income by 15%

webfact

41 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

for the few outbound international departures the taxi bag fee does not apply for city pick-ups anyhow.

Are you sure about that?

"Taxi passengers travelling to and from Don Mueang and Suvarnabhumi airports are now subject to a luggage charge."

It appears, they also charge for baggage when you are traveling to the airport.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Are you sure about that?

"Taxi passengers travelling to and from Don Mueang and Suvarnabhumi airports are now subject to a luggage charge."

It appears, they also charge for baggage when you are traveling to the airport.

It appears you are right in what was reported. Though, a few weeks ago I had two ladies stay with me in Bangkok who were going onwards to live overseas. They had shed loads of baggage including two huge and heavy cases. On getting a Meter Taxi the driver helped load the baggage and made no mention of any additional fare. I guess it depends on the driver. Apologies if my comment was misleading.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The chief of the Thai taxi drivers' association has told the media that his members are only earning about 10-15% more since the transport ministry changed the rules on baggage charges they could demand on trips at Bangkok's two airports.

And that's not enough!

Greedy B******s

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Enzian said:

Members here are critical of the drivers, and I admit I've had some really bad ones, but for some reason that's mostly in the past. Haven't had a driver try for a fixed fee for quite a while, and refusal of service hardly exists now, for the obvious reason. Of course it helps when a farang like me is with a Thai female, which is usually the case for me. The ladies like to gab with the drivers, and usually (but not always) the drivers are ok guys. Sometimes they comment to the ladies, or ask questions, about me, but always in a positive vein. Most of the time I round up when I pay, especially if there is a good reason, but don't worry myself if I don't. To me the rides are so cheap they may as well be free. They deserve more, imho.

So much pointless waffle in such a long paragraph, that doesn't address the core issue

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

11 hours ago, webfact said:

The chief of the Thai taxi drivers' association has told the media that his members are only earning about 10-15% more since the transport ministry changed the rules on baggage charges they could demand on trips at Bangkok's two airports

So how do they expect him to buy anymore Toyota badges for the back of the motor .. 

IMG_20201211_121049.jpg

11 hours ago, webfact said:

Now there are just a few Thais going from shopping centers with heavy bags. 

The article is supposed to be about passengers travelling to and from airports, as mentioned in another post, not picking up passengers from places where people go shopping and buy lots of things, such as supermarkets.  When this was first published it was made clear that the charges were for journeys going to and from the airports only.

'nuf sed.

I'd usually tip a driver up to 100 baht (possibly more), if he troubled himself to help with bags and depending upon the length of the journey. That's my choice, but, I confess, I don't like the idea of such things being imposed.

I can imagine it may lead to passengers not tipping the driver. The effect may be that they could loose out in the long run.

• Like 1

Driving a taxi is a <deleted> job anywhere in the world. That's why nearly all the taxis including Uber here in Australia are Indian or many other immigrant races. Many of them are qualified in a trade but can't get approval to work in Australia so getting a job driving a taxi is easy.  In Thailand we all know that there are good drivers and we treat them fairly and I always give a big tip to a driver taking us to the airport at 4am. They are so happy especially if they get a return fare, that will pay the rent for the day. To all the moaners.....would you work for 300 baht a day driving around Bangkok ?  No way ! You all get the sh!ts being a passenger !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So most Thia's are suffering financially over the dreaded COVID-19 pandemic and have little or no alternatives to offset their personal and business losses.

But these greedy sometimes cheating Bangkok taxi drivers want the public to fill the gap for their COVID-19 financial shortfalls. 

Get in line with everyone else you whinging BKK taxi drivers and put up with like the rest of the Thia's impacted have to. 

I have been taking taxis in BKK for 30 years, never been ripped off.

Always polite, friendly.

Don't get in cabs with rude drivers who won't use the meter.

Have found BKK taxi drivers very friendly and helpful, always leave a tip. They thank me and I thank them.

Never had a bad experience. 

There a lot of miserable, tight fisted, fallang here who should go home.

Edited by toast1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

F### me what do these guys want everything handed ton them on a silver platter, if you had not ripped off every tourist that visited Thailand in the past you would by now be making a decent living, but no not you lot you wanted it all at once and then you forgot to save for a rainy day ( in this case rainy year). 

If I have friends come from overseas I go hire a car and pick them up at the airport rather than have them subjected to you lot, and don't get me started on Pattaya taxi Mafia

• Like 1