advice about building a house in Khon Kaen

2 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

Who in their right mind would build a house for a girl friend he might not even know well enough?

Most of them have secrets that go from debts to husbands under a different name.

OP, these words are there to help you, not to make you look like an idiot. 

Dirty little secrets ????

The best thing is when you discover their lies, put them straight into their face and they still deny everything ????

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, cookiesnmayo said:

Having lived and rented in Thailand for nearly 3 years and already spent a sum of money on rent not far off what my gf claims we could build a house for I do have to wonder whether it'd be better to continue spending on something you have nothing to show for apart from receipts to your landlord or making a slightly risky investment that depending on circumstances I might be able to recoup one day

I might be able to recoup one day

...be able to regroup one day. Sounds better.

1 minute ago, Surelynot said:

Say you rent somewhere for 20,000 month that would cost 6 million to buy............6 million invested should bring in 300,000 a year....... rent would be 240,000 a year......your are not only up, but can move, no responsibilities, no maintenance....the only thing you might miss out on in an appreciating value of the property......not likely.

I prefer not to deal with landlords, or pay maintenance..But, that's just me...:guitar:

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Rent on a 2Mbht house is generally around 10kbht/month.

Living in your home that you rent, is not the same as hoping she lets you live in her home that you paid for.

As many posters in this forum have found out to their cost.

1. A 360kbht house built on her family land in a rural Thai village is probably not a home, or village where you would choose to live.

2. The divorce judge can't award her your landlords property. (This is true in every country in the world)

BritManToo is BACK,YEAHHHHHH

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, transam said:

I prefer not to deal with landlords, or pay maintenance..But, that's just me...:guitar:

Same here......prefer to have letting agent between me and the landlord......fortunately our landlord has also been very good.....any problems and he has been straight onto them.

1 hour ago, cookiesnmayo said:

I'm living in Bangkok. We're both 30 years old. She's an estate agent. She's not prepared to invest any of her own and yes sometimes you have to make a decision purely for financial reasons.

To the posters who are saying I'm being ripped off, I say that if you want to live in nice condo with good facilities, in a good location then you're spending 30k or more.

You said similar house, but you live in a Bangkok condo. How can you compare the two?

If she draws a salary she can take a mortgage. My wife took it and we both pay for a condo. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pravda said:
1 hour ago, cookiesnmayo said:

I'm living in Bangkok. We're both 30 years old. She's an estate agent. She's not prepared to invest any of her own and yes sometimes you have to make a decision purely for financial reasons.

To the posters who are saying I'm being ripped off, I say that if you want to live in nice condo with good facilities, in a good location then you're spending 30k or more.

You said similar house, but you live in a Bangkok condo. How can you compare the two?

If she draws a salary she can take a mortgage. My wife took it and we both pay for a condo.

30k......it must be palatial .......I am paying 17k, 200m from Nana BTS and couldn't want for anything better.

31 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Same here......prefer to have letting agent between me and the landlord......fortunately our landlord has also been very good.....any problems and he has been straight onto them.

I have no middle men, I like it that way.....????

I've been living here for close to 10 years, I have always rented, I've been with my Mrs for a bit longer than that, her old man said to me we could build on his land, I told him not on your Nelly ???? 

My rent for a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom gaff on the Darkside is 14k, I told my Mrs that I'll build her a house when 1) I get the big prize from ERNIE (Premium Bonds) or 2) we win on the Thai lottery, the chances of either happening are very remote but she's more than happy ????

OP, I hope you are reading these replies & taking them seriously, so many have fallen into this trap and have lived to regret it, others have been exceptionally lucky and lived in bliss, tread carefully mate.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lovethai123 said:

i know i am being bitter but i dont want to see another man loosing his money in thailand.

Does it feel better when you lose it to a wife back home? 

Though yes, I agree w/the don't build here crowd for many reasons - - unless you can afford to consider it a gift... 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, 473geo said:

I've never had a fortune, so how could I boast about sending it ???? what I have frequently stated is money is not the be all and end all of my life I have happily shared it as I pass through life ???? I have a wife and 2 children, a wife who was happy to live with her mother for 7 years before we built a modest home, on land given by the mother in law. The reason I don't need to send a fortune is no rent to pay, my wife can take good care of our children, be there to help her mother, work on the farm daily, me? I suggest I come across as not being self centered or selfish. Could be that assists in my relationship. Who knows, thanks for your interest in my lifestyle, just lucky I guess.

Oh and one more thing don't come to country where there are beautiful but poor women, flash your smile and money, then not come up with the goods for fear of the relationship failing, because in that case you are the one who failed.

I have probably mixed you with someone else, with the age my memory sometimes fall

so my apologizes if it's the case

I come to Thailand precisely because they are poor beautiful girls

if i wanted expensive sex with a random woman, or free but with ugly grannies or fat chicks

i could have stayed in France.

I am not interested anymore in a longtime relationship, from my past experiences it's more worry and problems than hapiness. It's probably  half my fault, but at my age i am not going to change, even if i wanted to.

Plus i can ''take care'' of myself for almost everything, except for one thing, so having someone else with me full time should be anonying and useless.

For the topic and this poor OP the problem is he hasn't a lot of money

(The prove is he is worrying about the amount of rent paid)

so the best advice imo is don't build a house.

Edited by kingofthemountain

2 hours ago, cookiesnmayo said:

Well if she is not ready to put money in the project, i don't see any valid reason for you to do it

as she will be the first beneficiary of it.

If you make your decision purely for financial reasons, you are making a bad decision

and be assured you will regret it very soon.

Again moving from Bangkok in a nice location and a confortable appartment at 30 000'months

to the middle of nowhere in a thai style house, good luck with that ! 

Of course if the family is in Khon Ken city and from a good social level, maybe you have a chance.

If the father is a farmer in a village at 10 or 20 kms from KK, forget it, at 30 years old you will die in

boredom after few days. 

The works isnt an issue? if you move together to KK she lose her real estate job in BKK and you?

Are you one of these digital nomads?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mark Nothing said:

I am one of the suckers who fell for the con artist's snow job many years ago.  I regretted it almost immediately.  She is using you.  

Was too shy to admit it...well done.....but I've been there, done that....albeit 30 years ago.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, 473geo said:

To girlfriend it is lost money, money that could have paid for a house for her, and so many farangs wonder why their relationships fail, well I guess if you put a little interest on your money above the interests of your future companion that may provide a clue ????

I don’t mind what you do, it’s your choice after all. But many people have followed the same path only to find themselves minus a home and minus a wife or girlfriend. I don’t see you ever getting a return as the house will never (and probably cannot) be sold. Best of luck, but I fear you’ll end up disappointed. Like many others before you.

12 hours ago, AlexRich said:

I don’t mind what you do, it’s your choice after all. But many people have followed the same path only to find themselves minus a home and minus a wife or girlfriend. I don’t see you ever getting a return as the house will never (and probably cannot) be sold. Best of luck, but I fear you’ll end up disappointed. Like many others before you.

The return I get is the enjoyment and satisfaction of creating a future for my wife and children, I don't need to own a house, I prefer to create a family home that will be there for my family for years to come, this has given me so much pleasure already, there will be no disappointment whatever the future brings

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 473geo said:

The return I get is the enjoyment and satisfaction of creating a future for my wife and children, I don't need to own a house, I prefer to create a family home that will be there for my family for years to come, this has given me so much pleasure already, there will be no disappointment whatever the future brings

Yep, no worries about future rent for the mrs or my old age, and in my case, no estate management fees either...

My chum has just got his, 8000bht, I said, but they don't do anything...????

26 minutes ago, transam said:

Yep, no worries about future rent for the mrs or my old age, and in my case, no estate management fees either...

My chum has just got his, 8000bht, I said, but they don't do anything...????

Some people pay for security Trans, peace of mind. ????  I happily accepted living close to the family, as it turned out saved the cost of of concrete surround wall, electric gate, security cameras, or the cost and trouble of dogs. Plenty of people keeping an eye on the place every day from across the way. Not the Tvisa way of doing things I know, but works for me, just lucky I guess ????

• Like 1

Oops ... I thought you were the original OP? Buying for a girlfriend. With kids and an established relationship it’s a different matter. But I’d still only spend an amount I'd have no problem losing. 

• Like 1

sounds very suss if she refuses to put anything into it, if she was serious about it and you she wouldnt hesitate, sounds like you are being played, you pay for her house that doesnt cost her a baht and that you, the one that pays for it all has no legal rights to it what so ever, once its built she tosses you out and you have no comeback. Your choice but as others have said you are a fool if you do it, who's idea was it to build on her fathers land, if it was hers(or her families) you would have to be a total idiot to agree but your choice, I am sure we will see you in here in the near future whinging about how you lost everything

• Like 1

Some people pay for security Trans, peace of mind. ????  I happily accepted living close to the family, as it turned out saved the cost of of concrete surround wall, electric gate, security cameras, or the cost and trouble of dogs. Plenty of people keeping an eye on the place every day from across the way. Not the Tvisa way of doing things I know, but works for me, just lucky I guess ????

People talk about renting vs buying, Though there are advantages to renting, it is not your house to do as you like. As far as living close to the family, we love my wife's family and they love us, we would not have it any other way. Sadly father in law and mother inlaw passed away a year apart from each other,  I miss them both dearly. But we still have the sister and brother in law, both lovely people. If we did not have them, we would have been royally screwed.

I was in the US with the wife, last fall, we were planning to return early spring , then the pandemic hit, and we decided to stay a little longer and see how things played out, 

A year later we are still in the US , Thank god sister  in law and brother in law are taking care of the house, cutting the grass and feeding the dogs. 

When I retired less than a year ago I opted for a reduced pension but the wife keeps it for her life even after I am gone, that combined with her having her house in Thailand paid for. gives me great peace of mind.

Some people are happy to leave in other people's houses, and that's fine.  For me , well I guess I still have not gotten over my  "mine"  period LOL. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

Yes, I had a female freind once and I phoned her one night and asked what she was doing and she told me that she was sat at home watching television .

I asked her whether she was out in a bar and she said she wasnt .

I told her that I was quite certain that she wasnt at home and that she was in a bar .

Nope, she said .

I named the bar and described what she was wearing .

"Not me" She said .

I asked her to turn around . 

"Why" She said

"I am standing just behind you"

Still denied being there 

So did you buy her a beer, that's what friends do ????