SURVEY: Should Thailand require foreigners to be vaccinated?

Scott

SURVEY: Should Thailand require foreigners to be vaccinated?  

430 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 12/13/2020 at 2:05 PM, Lacessit said:

IMO people should be given a choice, vaccine or quarantine. I would choose the vaccine because I am in the most vulnerable age cohort.

Agreed. No vaccination would be required to quarantine at own cost.

Normally there's no excuse not to vaccinate,  but the Covid vaccine has been rushed to market, so there are legitimate safety concerns. People should therefore have a right to refuse it and pay for quarantine. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

Agreed. No vaccination would be required to quarantine at own cost.

Normally there's no excuse not to vaccinate,  but the Covid vaccine has been rushed to market, so there are legitimate safety concerns. People should therefore have a right to refuse it and pay for quarantine. 

I would pay to wear a monitor on me as long as I could quarantine in my own home upon my return here in Bangkok if I took a trip outside of Thailand.   No threat I am going to run around if I am told to quarantine.  Hell they could even send a nurse by the Condo as I do not live far away from one of the ASQ Hotels and BNH Hospital.

7 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I would pay to wear a monitor on me as long as I could quarantine in my own home upon my return here in Bangkok if I took a trip outside of Thailand.   No threat I am going to run around if I am told to quarantine.  Hell they could even send a nurse by the Condo as I do not live far away from one of the ASQ Hotels and BNH Hospital.

I suppose they worry about idiots who would go out even with a monitor on, and worry about the consequences afterwards. There are lots of people who can't control themselves. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

I suppose they worry about idiots who would go out even with a monitor on, and worry about the consequences afterwards. There are lots of people who can't control themselves. 

I completely understand as I was here when the initial debacle with the little ghosts returning from S. Korea occurred  I know that Singapore does monitors, as well as South Korea, and Hong Kong.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Swimfan said:

The jury is still out on weather vaccinated people can still carry and spread the virus. Until more is know its unlikely a vaccination will give you anymore freedom to travel.

We have so little information on the vaccines....so how can people really trust it's safe?

We have no information of any possible long term side effects on infants and  pregnant women, for example.

We have not even been told how long the vaccine will give immunity for...some say from at little as 90 days! 

We are not told if the vaccine stops is getting the virus or just stops the symptoms...and like you say, if we can still spread it.

We have been told not to take it if we have allergies. Many people have allergies, so will that mean they are banned from traveling or working at hospitals and schools?

I am not anti vaccines...but I will only use ones that have a track record of being low risk for side effects. I have no confidence is this UK rushed through one at the moment. If everyone is ok in a year or 2 then I will gladly take it.

I think the UK rushed it through because they realised they are incapable of controlling the virus there without it and are placing all their hopes on it, at the expense of safety. 

Edited by jak2002003

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I have to assume in this ever changing world, that the vaccination will be required for nearly any sort of international travel. Though I am not a big vaccine fan, I will likely get this one, in order to be able to travel. I will do some research, and try to get the most effective one out there, with the least side effects. 

I did hear Dr Peter Hotez saying that one could have a different vaccine over the original vaccination, so if you cannot obtain the one you would like, perhaps you can have the one available in Thailand, then get the one you want when you get somewhere else. This would go more to effectiveness than side effects, unless you have big allergies.

On 12/13/2020 at 3:16 AM, Moonlover said:

I believe that having a vaccination shot would give the recipients a false sense of security. No one can tell how long they would be effective for and neither can we be sure that the caronavirus won't mutate and render the vaccine useless.

I'm happy to take the standard precautions, as and when necessary. Which right now means virtually no precautions other than those mandated by the malls and supermarkets.

Big pharma won't get a penny out of me.

It's easy really, get vaccinated or don't travel.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, sirineou said:

Of course I don't personally know any of these things, I am simply repeating what I have read and hope it is true, and/or it will pan out. But I read that IATA (International Air Transport Association )in an attempt to revitalize travel and  the floundering airline industry , are working towards developing an app that will access  vaccine and  testing information in each country that participates, and provide a covid pass

"Solution: IATA Travel Pass:

A global and standardized solution to validate and authenticate all country regulations regarding COVID-19 passenger travel requirements. IATA Travel Pass will incorporate four open sourced and interoperable modules which can be combined for an end-to-end solution: "

Full article and More info at the link below if interested. 

https://www.iata.org/en/programs/passenger/travel-pass/

That seems to be a useful idea, would avoid multiple opinions as to what is acceptable perhaps. 

Dad will probably be first to get the Vaccine, being over 80, and wish to use his multiple future travel vouchers, before they go up in smoke. It may simplify things...

1 hour ago, khunkarl said:
On 12/13/2020 at 10:16 AM, Moonlover said:

I believe that having a vaccination shot would give the recipients a false sense of security. No one can tell how long they would be effective for and neither can we be sure that the caronavirus won't mutate and render the vaccine useless.

I'm happy to take the standard precautions, as and when necessary. Which right now means virtually no precautions other than those mandated by the malls and supermarkets.

Big pharma won't get a penny out of me.

Expand  

1 hour ago, khunkarl said:

It's easy really, get vaccinated or don't travel.

The question that the survey asked was: 'Should Thailand require foreigners to be vaccinated?' It said nothing about travel.

So here I am, a foreigner in Thailand who does not intend to travel (at least not abroad) and doesn't intend to have a Covid 19 vaccine either. Yep, you're right. It's very easy.

Millions take flu shots and still catch the flu.  Vaccinations aren't cures no have they ever claimed to be. The overall effectiveness of flu shots last year for all types of influenza, was 29%, the CDC data shows.  Only uneducated, delusional sheep believe a vaccination equals immunity.

2 minutes ago, rioD said:

Millions take flu shots and still catch the flu.  Vaccinations aren't cures no have they ever claimed to be. The overall effectiveness of flu shots last year for all types of influenza, was 29%, the CDC data shows.  Only uneducated, delusional sheep believe a vaccination equals immunity.

I thought the current vaccine in the US is 95% effective for humans, I don't know about sheep, educated or not.

• Haha 1

The U.S hasn't began vaccinating and the CDC figures for flu shot effectiveness annually are 29%.  COVID vaccinations are new, rushed and possibly dangerous for those reasons. Remember there is NO cure for the flu, common cold and many other common ailments.  Do you really believe some group will miraculously develop a cure for COVID on the 1st try LOL.  If so I have a beachfront house in Kansas I'd love to sell you sight unseen.

• Like 2

On 12/13/2020 at 10:39 AM, Meat Pie 47 said:

Well Australia tried that and look whats happening

Australia is playing it all wrong. They have the iron ore that China so badly needs. Tell them no more shipments and see what the result is. They'll come around. Not too many places for them to get that stuff. My point was larger. Australia is just one country. If the entire world stood up and said "no more" then what will the Chinese do? Implode probably which they deserve.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, joecoolfrog said:

China probably should face consequencies but in practice they wont. What do you suggest an ' easy to win ' trade war ?

No, just have the entire world move all operations out of China and stop doing business with them. All they have to offer the world is cheap labor and we all can get by without that.

As I understand it the vaccine doesn't stop you getting it or spreading it? But I don't think they really know for sure?

So, if the farang have had the vaccine then they won't be ill but can still spread it round the population.

Therefore what is the point insisting on a vaccine/certifcate because the Thai people will still get it from the vaccinated.

Thailand can keep the door shut for as long as they want but one day, unless they're all vaccinated, the population will get it by some route.

25 minutes ago, MichaelJohn said:

As I understand it the vaccine doesn't stop you getting it or spreading it? But I don't think they really know for sure?

So, if the farang have had the vaccine then they won't be ill but can still spread it round the population.

Therefore what is the point insisting on a vaccine/certifcate because the Thai people will still get it from the vaccinated.

Thailand can keep the door shut for as long as they want but one day, unless they're all vaccinated, the population will get it by some route.

They don't yet know if vaccinated people can still spread it.  That still needs to be studied.  There will probably be lots of circumstantial evidence that comes out after a lot more people get vaccinated.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, shdmn said:

They don't yet know if vaccinated people can still spread it.  That still needs to be studied.  There will probably be lots of circumstantial evidence that comes out after a lot more people get vaccinated.

I agree, more study is needed plus time will tell. but IMO it stands to reason that vaccinated people could still spread it but not to the same degree as infected people would 

Regardless of if you could get infected, if you had it on your hands for instance, and you came in contact with a unvaccinated person , that person could get infected,or if you had it on your breath, and you spread it in the air......

Of course I don't know these things for sure, but it stands to reason to me.

If I was vaccinated until the overall danger diminishes, as a courtesy to others and my loved ones , I would wear a mask, and still wash my hands. 

Edited by sirineou

7 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I agree, more study is needed plus time will tell. but IMO it stands to reason that vaccinated people could still spread it but not to the same degree as infected people would 

Regardless of if you could get infected, if you had it on your hands for instance, and you came in contact with a unvaccinated person , that person could get infected,or if you had it on your breath, and you spread it in the air......

Of course I don't know these things for sure, but it stands to reason to me.

If I was vaccinated until the overall danger diminishes, as a courtesy to others and my loved ones , I would wear a mask, and still wash my hands. 

You are talking about 2 different things.  Spreading around the virus that came from other people from door handles or whatever is NOT the same as becoming a host spreader of the virus yourself which is all we are talking about.   

Washing your hands is always a good idea.  It was recommended before the virus came along and will continue to be recommended after everyone is vaccinated.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, shdmn said:

You are talking about 2 different things.  Spreading around the virus that came from other people from door handles or whatever is NOT the same as becoming a host spreader of the virus yourself which is all we are talking about.   

Washing your hands is always a good idea.  It was recommended before the virus came along and will continue to be recommended after everyone is vaccinated.

I realise the difference, that's why I said "but not to the same degree as infected people would  "

On 12/13/2020 at 2:14 AM, chilli42 said:

Seems to me that they will have a dilemma relating to timing.  Estimates have been all over the place but it’s going to take a long time to vaccinate all those who wish to be vaccinated.  In some large countries, vaccines will not be something you can get on demand.  I also wonder if they will specify a specific vaccine.  Many coming in the market ... for example Russia busy vaccinating their population with their home grown vaccine that does not seem to be widely embraced outside of Russia.  Lots for the brain trust to sort through.  

It's not widely embraced within Russia, either. Folks there do not trust it. I have heard the same for the Chinese vaccines.

5 minutes ago, ukrules said:

It will take many years before all age groups can be vaccinated, those under 40 will likely never be offered a vaccine.

Not sure about that. I guess ir depend on what country we are talking about, but here in the US they say that everyone who wants to be vaccinated will be by late spring early summer

"Secretary of Health and Human Services Alex Azar said he expects there to be enough vaccine doses starting in the second quarter of 2021 so that anyone who wants a vaccine can get it. Other federal health officials have said in the spring or summer. 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-covid-19-vaccine-when-will-it-be-available-for-you-11606339361

31 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I realise the difference, that's why I said "but not to the same degree as infected people would  "

If you think the difference is just that you do not spread it to the same degree then it doesn't sound to me like you understand.

Edited by shdmn

One thing is sure.

No country is allowing non-citizens to get the vaccine.

So as it stands now, any expat in Thailand who wants a vaccine has to return to their home country to get it. Then come back and quarantine on arrival again.