Yellow book - questions

Went to Amphoe (Mae Chan - Chiangrai Province) today to apply for the yellow book (house registration book for "farangs")!
They asked me to translate the stamp of my 1 year visa in my passport (it's in English!) Into Thai!

produced by a translation agency (travel agency or lawyer or similar)

and then for the application I need 2 witnesses and the Puyai-Baan, where I live, who have to sign for me!

does anyone have the same experience?

Thank you for any helpful advice!

When the yellow book is done I can apply for the Pink ID card for Farangs!

14 minutes ago, sibille said:

Went to Amphoe (Mae Chan - Chiangrai Province) today to apply for the yellow book (house registration book for "farangs")!
They asked me to translate the stamp of my 1 year visa in my passport (it's in English!) Into Thai!

and then for the application I need 2 witnesses and the Puyai-Baan, where I live, who have to sign for me!

Yes had exactly the same experience, very recently. They also wanted the entire passport translated and notarized by one special individual who has a 3-6 month long waiting list. Clearly nonsense. But the helpful officer at the ampur suggested we could get an "express" service which required zero paperwork and documents, and the yellow book would be ready to collect the next morning. A no brainer to save hassle. Not cheap, and a totally organized thing. The pink card for farangs is easy, took15 minutes at the tessaban, after you got the yellow book. Cost about 100B.

OP, are you sure its not a misunderstanding ? Often the ampher will want the 1st page of your passport translated (mainly to get your name in Thai), although each ampher can be different, translation of visa stamp isnt usually a requirement.

The witnesses are a usual requirement.

Pink ID is usually a 5 minute process after the yellow book,Photo and print card etc, its all the same information.

• Like 1

Its clear from a number of threads on this very subject that the requirements to apply for the Yellow Tabien Baan house book at each Amuphur office around Thailand varies. Some are a lot easier than others which require quite a lot of paper work: 

My Experience: 

- Booked Appointment (wait time was about a month)

- Obtained a Notarised Copy of Passport (from your Embassy - you may need to make an appointment)

- Had the Notarised Copy of Passport ID page translated (at translations service at MFA Chaeng Wattana)

- Had the Translation of Notarised Copy of Passport ID page verified by Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Chaeng Wattana)

- Turned up at Appointment time (with a Thai Witness and My Wife)

- Witness needed ID

- Wife needed plenty of documentation - Thai ID, Marriage certificate, Blue Tabien Baan Book etc

The process itself takes a couple of hours - its a lot of paper work for the Amphur officer to complete while you just wait around. 

The Pink ID card takes about 15 mins and is very quick (worth getting on the same day). 

Important: Ensure YOUR name on your Marriage Certificate (in Thai) exactly matches the Thai Translation of your name on your Marriage certificate. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

OP, are you sure its not a misunderstanding ? Often the ampher will want the 1st page of your passport translated (mainly to get your name in Thai), although each ampher can be different, translation of visa stamp isnt usually a requirement.

The witnesses are a usual requirement.

Pink ID is usually a 5 minute process after the yellow book,Photo and print card etc, its all the same information.

no - they asked only for the translation of this "immigration-1-year-visa-stamp" nothing more!

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its clear from a number of threads on this very subject that the requirements to apply for the Yellow Tabien Baan house book at each Amuphur office around Thailand varies. Some are a lot easier than others which require quite a lot of paper work:  

thanks for this very useful informations!

another question - what is the advantage of this yellow book anyway? It doesn't make sense for me to sacrifice so much time and money for a document so that I might get a few baht discounts in the national park - maybe just, it doesn't seem to be accepted everywhere! i have had a thai driving license for years, which is usually enough - i'm more than 60 years old and speak a little thai too! ????

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sibille said:

another question - what is the advantage of this yellow book anyway? It doesn't make sense for me to sacrifice so much time and money for a document so that I might get a few baht discounts in the national park - maybe just, it doesn't seem to be accepted everywhere! i have had a thai driving license for years, which is usually enough - i'm more than 60 years old and speak a little thai too! ????

it saves the need to continually get resident certificates from immigration to prove address, for buy/sell car, renew license etc. its proof of address and generates your Thai ID number. In theory you put your passport away and use yellow book and ID, in the same way Thais use their blue book and ID,

You will need to switch bank accounts and license to yellow book as primary ID instead of passport.

• Like 1

Seems like I got away easy  with my application  for Yellow book. The guy who processed it did the translation of anything needed himself ! It took about an hour and half with him checking back with me or my wife as to verifying details. Once done moved  two desks down and had  Pink ID  card in 15 minutes .

Have never  yet used either one for anything.

19 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Is it really worth the time and effort to get it ??? - Thats a personal choice. 

will go to the immigration tomorrow and ask them to give me the stamp in thai ????

otherwise will go in town to do a proper translation!

thanks for the very useful informations to everybody here in this forum!

I’ve had 2 yellow books neither of them with any difficulty whatsoever. I wasn’t asked for any translation of anything or document beyond passport and land documents. I had to “check out” of the first one before I could get the second one. That too was a simple process.

16 hours ago, sibille said:

Each province has its own rules. But you should also get pink ID card at the Sam time.

And yes I had to take 2 witnesses. But did not have to translate my visa stamp.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Yes had exactly the same experience, very recently. They also wanted the entire passport translated and notarized by one special individual who has a 3-6 month long waiting list. Clearly nonsense. But the helpful officer at the ampur suggested we could get an "express" service which required zero paperwork and documents, and the yellow book would be ready to collect the next morning. A no brainer to save hassle. Not cheap, and a totally organized thing. The pink card for farangs is easy, took15 minutes at the tessaban, after you got the yellow book. Cost about 100B.

What fee were they asking for the "express" service?

18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

My Experience: 

- Obtained a Notarised Copy of Passport (from your Embassy - you may need to make an appointment)

- Had the Notarised Copy of Passport ID page translated (at translations service at MFA Chaeng Wattana)

- Had the Translation of Notarised Copy of Passport ID page verified by Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Chaeng Wattana)

- Witness needed ID

- Wife needed plenty of documentation - Thai ID, Marriage certificate, Blue Tabien Baan Book etc

The process itself takes a couple of hours - its a lot of paper work for the Amphur officer to complete while you just wait around. 

The Pink ID card takes about 15 mins and is very quick (worth getting on the same day). 

Important: Ensure YOUR name on your Marriage Certificate (in Thai) exactly matches the Thai Translation of your name on your Marriage certificate. 

My process and requirements were similar to yours although it suddenly became simpler when a small brown envelope was produced.

Unfortunately the inconsistencies don’t end when the book and ID card are obtained.

I live in Chiang Mai Province, where the DLT head office in Chiang Mai will accept the ID card as proof of address for renewing the driving licences, but my local office will not.

Just part of the rich tapestry of living in Thailand and they did give me the licences for six years.

• Like 1

I make my yellow book 17 years agou and I was first falang hwo make it in Chaiyaphum Amphoe Muang and they did not have expieriens how to do it.

Five times to Bangkok translation Affair Ministery. Night mary.

I make my pink id  in Chaiyaphum and I was first then they do not now how to make it but I get it.

Paper work is sometimes very diffigult .

Best regards

Eero

19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

My Experience: 

- Witness needed ID

So you ARE saying that marriage is a pre-requisite to get the Yellow Book/ Pink ID card? 

The requisites for obtaining the yellow book vary from place to place, from a passport, 10 baht and 10 minutes to thousands of baht many trips to Embassy/MFA and still failure in obtaining the yellow book to Amphurs blatantly refusing to issue one.

This thread will be a catalogue of posters experience in obtaining, or not, the yellow book.

To find out your own Amphurs requisites pay them a visit .

• Like 2

My contractor suggested getting a yellow book in the rare case that my wife dies before me as in a car or motorbike accident.  Not having a yellow book prevents me from switching the electric, internet and other accounts to my name according to him because I have no proof of residence.   We own plots of farmland etc which I don't care about but my main concern is the land and house we just had built.  My wife owns the land of course but what happens to that in the case of her death?  In America all assets go to the surviving spouse but since I cannot own land in Thailand, what happens to the ownership of our house and land plot in the case of her death?

So in case my wife gets run over by a sugar cane truck, I don't want any trouble from members of her family regarding my right to live here or to sell and move someplace else at my choosing.  So in trying to solve that problem, he suggested a Yellow book to show residence, a land lease from my wife giving me the right to own a house on her land, and a joint will (involving an attorney) that lays out what happens under various survivor circumstances.  I don't have problems now but I have had issues with family over money (I have some and they don't) and I don't want her brother(s) to attempt to extort money from me to pay for the right to live out my life on the land and house I paid for.  You never know!!!

If anyone has an experience in the above, please weigh in.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

So you ARE saying that marriage is a pre-requisite to get the Yellow Book/ Pink ID card? 

Not sure but went with wifey to get mine, no translations of any kind, She changed her name to mine when we got married, so on her ID card she has surname written in Thai, I have no clue how they did that, unless it was the translated docs from my embassy. I have checked into hotels no prob with the pink card. OP are you married to a Thai?

1 hour ago, MarcIssan said:

My contractor suggested getting a yellow book in the rare case that my wife dies before me as in a car or motorbike accident.  Not having a yellow book prevents me from switching the electric, internet and other accounts to my name according to him because I have no proof of residence.   We own plots of farmland etc which I don't care about but my main concern is the land and house we just had built.  My wife owns the land of course but what happens to that in the case of her death?  In America all assets go to the surviving spouse but since I cannot own land in Thailand, what happens to the ownership of our house and land plot in the case of her death?

So in case my wife gets run over by a sugar cane truck, I don't want any trouble from members of her family regarding my right to live here or to sell and move someplace else at my choosing.  So in trying to solve that problem, he suggested a Yellow book to show residence, a land lease from my wife giving me the right to own a house on her land, and a joint will (involving an attorney) that lays out what happens under various survivor circumstances.  I don't have problems now but I have had issues with family over money (I have some and they don't) and I don't want her brother(s) to attempt to extort money from me to pay for the right to live out my life on the land and house I paid for.  You never know!!!

If anyone has an experience in the above, please weigh in.

Yellow book is not needed for Electric, Internet, TOT phone or bank account. I previously had all these in my name just using passport. 

As for your wife's house/land, on her passing simply do nothing. You may want her to make a will in advance of her intentions for you to remain. Maybe also get a usufruct or 30yr land rental as further protection. 

Try to keep friendly relations with neighbours and family. 

As for yellow book and pink id card then definitely advise getting it if you can (makes vehicle registration in your name as easy as a Thai). Each Amphur office has different requirements. Took me 3 visits +embassy verifaction of passport and MFA certification and 6 weeks to get mine. 

Edited by soi3eddie

17 hours ago, sibille said:

Different people have different perspective.

On the 8th Jan I have an appointment with the mobile health clinic that will be in the area, that can only be done with a yellow book. This will be my second time, think it was about 3 years ago I went before, check up is completely free.

If you attend the cancer hospital in Chonburi, your ID is passed around with the documents going from one section to another. You can use passport or pink card and first time I went I only had the passport and saw my passport drop to the floor as the nurse carried a bundle of documents around.

Next time I used pink card and just like everyone else they put it in a plastic sleeve which was then stapled to the documents.

It will be entirely up to you if you think it is worth it or no but there is a bit more to it than a few discounts.

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

Not sure but went with wifey to get mine, no translations of any kind, She changed her name to mine when we got married, so on her ID card she has surname written in Thai, I have no clue how they did that, unless it was the translated docs from my embassy. I have checked into hotels no prob with the pink card. OP are you married to a Thai?

When I did mine there were no translations involved, my wife kept her maiden name for about 10 years.

As you say there used to be no problem with hotels, but it became a bit hit and miss when the government started cracking down on overstayers. Seems to be better away from falang areas.

Done the yellow book and pink ID card a few years ago. At Pattaya driving licence renewal centre they would not accept it as proof of residence so still needed a letter from immigration.  Very hit an miss too as to whether you get in a National park at the Thai price. Personally I don't think it's worth the cost and hassle.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, sibille said:

It varies a bit from province-to-province what is required to obtain a Yellow House Book for aliens.

You hopefully visited the tessa ban-office, as they are issuing house books.

You normally need an official translation of your passport's name-page and reason for staying in the Kingdom, often an extension of stay based on something. Your name need to be translated to Thai characters by an authorized translator, and it's important you get a Thai to read the translation back to you to check that your name is correctly translated (pronounced). You might be able to find someone that can translate your name correctly, and just have the authorized translator doing the documentation; which might be several pages with the correct copies of the translator's education and the right rubber stamps, which is what you pay for (can be several thousand baht in fee).

You normally need two witnesses, where one preferably should be a neighbor knowing you, and another shall be a government employed knowing you. Poo yai ban (Head-of-village) might work as the government employed witness – he did that for me.

Some offices also requires an interview, which can be quite long, but you are allowed a translator, which can be your partner/spouse; other just hand you a Yellow House Book.

Yes, when having a Yellow House Book you can apply for a pink ID-card. You need a letter from the tessa ban-office (village administration) and then visit the amphor-office (district office), the department issuing ID-cards. If the have the pink plastic in stock – it's depending if it's an area with many resident foreigners – you will get the ID-card immediately, otherwise you'll do the photo and answer the questions asked, and need to come back later to pickup your ID card for aliens...????