Thai PM blames virus surge on illegal migration, hints at new curbs

snoop1130

8 hours ago, smedly said:

I thought it was Thais crossing the border illegally that had caused this as reported here last week coming from some knock house hotel 

Yes indeed,  4 Thai ladies who sneaked in via a "natural" border from Tachilek in Burma to Mae Sai in Thailand.

• Like 1

Some off topic posts and replies about the Spanish Flu have been removed.

Some troll posts using inappropriate language toward Thai women have been removed:

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

Had this joker ever taken responsibility for anything? In his entire life?

The Thai army is getting hundreds of billions of baht a year from the people. The very least the people can expect in return, is protection of some sort. With hundreds of thousands of soldiers, what on earth are these guys doing with their time, if not patrolling the borders, the rivers, and the seas, during a pandemic the neighbors are dealing with? Fishing boats should be randomly stopped, and checked. Borders should be locked down. Something seems very fishy here.   Are we looking at gross incompetence? Are we looking at total indifference? Corruption? Laziness? Total derelicton of duty, on the part of Prayuth, Anutin, and the entire leadership?   Tens of thousands of soldiers could be patrolling the rivers, in boats, manning many of the border areas, or just doing something. Anything. Just don't do nothing. Earn your keep. Prove to the nation that the motto "to protect the people" actually means something. Good training for the soldiers anyway, since there are no conflicts to deal with, other than the southern insurgency, which will likely never end, unless Thailand makes some reasonable concessions to a people who were colonized over a century ago.

Prayuth once again says responsibility needs to be shared. So, I ask. When was the last time he took responsibility for anything? Has he apologized? Has he admitted this happened on his watch, and it very possibly could have been prevented? If not, Prayuth should offer to resign immediately, and the people, and especially the youth, should demand that. It is their right to demand a competent leader, during an emergency, especially.

15 hours ago, Oliver Holzerfilled said:

Thailand had orders of magnitude more foreign visitors in the early stages of the pandemic.  I wonder if it was Thais crossing illegally into Myanmar that originally seeded the infections there and now the ????  ????????  are coming home to roost.

Exactly, there were 0 cases in Myanmar until workers from Thailand returned due to lack of employment due to lockdown.

27 minutes ago, Patjqm said:

Here in small Belgium we do 30k a day! THAT is massive testing.....????

Great!  Sadly, Belgium is perhaps the worst country right now with regards to the virus.  Sad times there....but best of luck in getting it under control.

15 hours ago, baboon said:

Why can't these idiots watch what they say? "It's their fault" to the less intelligent means "Feel free to kick their heads in". We need to work together, not apportion blame to one another.

Factories where the migrants work should be more responsible when employing them by reporting them to the authorities to check how they entered the country and limit them to the province.

First were the Thais crossing back into Thai country with Chinese Corona. Not Myanmar illegals.  And we not showering dirty farangs are just lucky. This time they cannot blame us since they have closed us out...

Edited by P100
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, webfact said:

Prayut hints at more restrictions after Covid surge

Lock it down dude.  You will go to bed at night and just feel so powerful and wonderful.  Absolute power!!! As Henry Kissinger once stated, it's the "ultimate aphrodisiac". 

9 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

Best post. While quite funny, it is exactly how many (maybe most) Thais are conditioned to think.

Its amazing how fast they change when they see things from a different point of view.  2 cases in point:

1). A Thai friend used to get angry when I complained about visa issues ect. Now she's married to an American and sees the issues first hand - the endless requests for photocopies and pointless information like photos of the happy couple sitting on their bed, she's changed her attitude completely.

2). My wife spent 2 months in the UK this year, watching the news from outside Thailand.  I don't think she was particularly 'conditioned' before - she often didn't believe things the Thai government said. However, she's a lot more vocal now and very prepared to criticise her own country.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

CV19 testing is free for locals.  They produce about 150,000 tests kits every month here.  So far, they've done a great job with the virus.  I'm glad I'm here and not back home!

Well never knew that,  also I asked many a Thai if they have had a test, not one said they have. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

As the Prime Minister, it is down to you and your cronies to prevent this, which you obviously have not done, therefore the responsibility is with yourself.

The authorities are charging the smugglers 6,500 baht per person to sneak across the border. Thai people hire these illegal immigrants and pay them well below the minimum wage. Thai people refuse to work for slave wages. Thailand, I hope you are happy with yourself...

8 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Had this joker ever taken responsibility for anything? In his entire life?

The Thai army is getting hundreds of billions of baht a year from the people. The very least the people can expect in return, is protection of some sort. With hundreds of thousands of soldiers, what on earth are these guys doing with their time, if not patrolling the borders, the rivers, and the seas, during a pandemic the neighbors are dealing with? Fishing boats should be randomly stopped, and checked. Borders should be locked down. Something seems very fishy here.   Are we looking at gross incompetence? Are we looking at total indifference? Corruption? Laziness? Total derelicton of duty, on the part of Prayuth, Anutin, and the entire leadership?   Tens of thousands of soldiers could be patrolling the rivers, in boats, manning many of the border areas, or just doing something. Anything. Just don't do nothing. Earn your keep. Prove to the nation that the motto "to protect the people" actually means something. Good training for the soldiers anyway, since there are no conflicts to deal with, other than the southern insurgency, which will likely never end, unless Thailand makes some reasonable concessions to a people who were colonized over a century ago.

Prayuth once again says responsibility needs to be shared. So, I ask. When was the last time he took responsibility for anything? Has he apologized? Has he admitted this happened on his watch, and it very possibly could have been prevented? If not, Prayuth should offer to resign immediately, and the people, and especially the youth, should demand that. It is their right to demand a competent leader, during an emergency, especially.

On other social media sites, migrant workers, from the seafood market, are saying they paid military personnel 6,500 baht per person to enter Thailand and not have to go into quarantine and not have USD$100,000 covid19 insurance policy.

Edited by Banana7