Defying Congress, Trump vetoes defense bill and threatens government shutdown

webfact

‘Complete clusterf---’: Trump leaves Washington in limbo

"President Donald Trump has once again thrown Washington into chaos, making uneven demands that have left lawmakers baffled and Americans coping with a global pandemic uncertain when they’ll be getting long-promised financial help.

On Tuesday night, Trump blindsided all of Washington — including his own staff — with a series of eleventh-hour demands to amend coronavirus relief and government funding legislation that his own administration had helped carefully craft and supported. Overnight and into Wednesday, senior Republicans, Hill aides and even White House officials scrambled to figure out what Trump actually wanted, just as lawmakers — and Trump — prepare to leave town for the holidays."

trump continues to show America what he's good at; absolutely nothing.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Confederate naming of USA military government facilities ssues WERE debated in Congress and included in the bill by a veto-proof majority. But Trump apparently wants to protect America's pro-slavery heritage.

Trump is pandering to his base, trying to raise funds for his upcoming legal battles.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

"The NDAA has become law every year for 59 years straight because it’s absolutely vital to our national security and our troops," Inhofe said. "This year must not be an exception."

BS. It's loaded up with so much porkulus the government can't even count it (private golf courses for generals, "research" funding for MIC related institutes in the swines from congress' districts, automatic purchase agreements that hike the inflation for military to procurement to 10X what the government keeps singing about in the CPI when explaining low to no social security increases, bases and more bases in places like Chad and Nigeria, supplemental border security funds for countries in the MIddle East). Easy solution. Pass an increase from $600 to $2000 for the individual Covid relief, or the rest of this <deleted> can just sit there.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, johnnybangkok said:

Although you are correct in that the bill is full of 'add-on' nonsense (aren't they all) the point is Trump has had AMPLE time to get both this bill and the stimulas bill sorted. To object at such a late stage smacks of petulance and self-interest.

Pelosi has said they're ready to vote on an increase from $600 to $2000. Do it. I want the 2000. If we need to wait a couple of weeks extra for it, fine. It's better than being fobbed off with the $600 in peanut money.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

You don't follow the news much, eh?  Just hate Obama?

https://www.businessinsider.com/donald-trump-bomb-isis-2015-11

Republican presidential front-runner Donald Trump has elaborated on his strategy to defeat the terrorist group ISIS at a memorable rally in Iowa and during an interview Thursday on CNN.

During a speech at Decker Auditorium in Fort Dodge, Iowa, Trump said he would go after ISIS-controlled oil fields and "bomb the s--- out of 'em," to loud applause.

Why would you think I hate Obama? Sorry if your feelings have been hurt, that wasn't my intention. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Pelosi has said they're ready to vote on an increase from $600 to $2000. Do it. I want the 2000. If we need to wait a couple of weeks extra for it, fine. It's better than being fobbed off with the $600 in peanut money.

Just print more money! Kill the USD. Push the gold price up! :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Yeah, just read the dems are capitalizing on this big time in GA.  Fantastic.  I'm not a dem, but would love to see Mitch knocked down as speaker.  The senate would finally start to get some work done.

I was thinking about this the other day- Senators should be the same as Presidents- no more than two terms. One Senator has been in there 45 years, another  39 and McConnell 38, amongst others.

They need clearing out and have far too much behind the scenes power (and pork barrels). far too much partisan politics. Never mind who the President is a Senate and Congress should support them once they are elected . McConnell spent his entire time during the Obama administration scuttling him and he will be the same with Biden. He's an odious little man,

Same with Congress- have a look at the list there. One Congressman has been in his seat since 1975- its ludicrous and they have got rich off the back of it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

Again something Trump and the GOP could have sorted out literally months ago. The Dems have been pushing for more money from the very beginning but had to accept the $600 just to get the bill passed. Trump has known this for months so again why the late u-turn? 

He's just being petty and vindictive. Get the $600 to people now and negotiate (being that he's such a great negotiator) the other $1400 later.

And McConnell will block any supplementary individual payment. Get it now, while there is leverage. Generals can wait at the rear of the line for once.

11 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

Again something Trump and the GOP could have sorted out literally months ago. The Dems have been pushing for more money from the very beginning but had to accept the $600 just to get the bill passed. Trump has known this for months so again why the late u-turn? 

He's just being petty and vindictive. Get the $600 to people now and negotiate (being that he's such a great negotiator) the other $1400 later.

I think you have given Trump a 'save face' solution. He has till Monday (27/12) to decide whether he will carried out his veto of the bill. His instant, impulsive and thoughtless veto of the bill has boxed him in a corner and throw the GOPs lawmakers into a conundrum and jeopardized Georgia by-election. Like you, I think he will relent and allow the bill to pass but throw in his caveat. He save face and the chaos evaded. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Yeah, just read the dems are capitalizing on this big time in GA.  Fantastic.  I'm not a dem, but would love to see Mitch knocked down as speaker.  The senate would finally start to get some work done.

If Republicans block the increase to $2000 they should be obliterated at the ballot box. The $600 is an insult. Just grinding it in our face. If Republicans want to make their final stand over a difference of $1400, they deserve everything that  is coming to them.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, placeholder said:

How many years is it now that predictions about the decline of the dollar due to "printing money" have been floated? 

I think because for every $1 printed a $1.20 (not exact mount)  is to be repaid.  So there is never enough and never will be enough money to repay the debt.  So it has to fail in the end, all fiat currencies do.  But you are correct about the predictions, who knows how long they can keep.

4 minutes ago, Sudarut said:

I think because for every $1 printed a $1.20 (not exact mount)  is to be repaid.  So there is never enough and never will be enough money to repay the debt.  So it has to fail in the end, all fiat currencies do.  But you are correct about the predictions, who knows how long they can keep.

No

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Donald, you've turned America into a laughing stock! You have cemented your place in history as the worst president of all time! And I mean, how bad were Nixon and Bush?

America's friends feel pity no doubt. Nixon's got to be the worst, since without him as president the US and the world would not have had to endure Trump, and Xi by the way!

• Sad 1