Brexit deal is DONE: Boris Johnson seals historic agreement with EU

Boris Johnson today declared that a Brexit deal has been done after four years of desperate wrangling - with a furious propaganda war already underway.

The PM has made history by sealing future trade terms to avert a chaotic split when the transition period ends on January 1, after Lord Frost and Michel Barnier thrashed out a 2,000-page text.

Downing Street said the agreement was 'fantastic news' - with Mr Johnson now set to hold a press conference at 3pm.

A senior source said: 'Everything that the British public was promised during the 2016 referendum and in the general election last year is delivered by this deal.

'We have taken back control of our money, borders, laws, trade and our fishing waters.

'The deal is fantastic news for families and businesses in every part of the UK. We have signed the first free trade agreement based on zero tariffs and zero quotas that has ever been achieved with the EU.'

No10 said the terms meant the UK will not be in the 'lunar pull of the EU'. 'We are not bound by EU rules, there is no role for the European Court of Justice and all of our key red lines about returning sovereignty have been achieved,' the source said. 

'It means that we will have full political and economic independence on 1st January 2021.' 

Brexit deal is DONE: Boris Johnson seals historic agreement with EU

:clap2::clap2::drunk::burp:????????????????:cheesy::cheesy:

Edited by Chris.B
  • Like 1

At this point I really don't care that much if it turns out well or not.There is a deal in place, which will be a hell of a lot better than there not being one in a few days.

We have made our bed and now must find out if it is comfortable and worth the trouble. Or if the salesman lied to us.

Pound and Euro should rise (both up today already about 2.5% before the announcement), which is good for us Expats.

Time will tell who did better out of the whole disaster.

Most happy that it is finally actually done though TBH.

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

The deal will make our country poorer and weaker, strangle businesses with red tape, put some sectors at existential risk reduce the opportunities of our young people, and leave us forever haggling over the huge areas of our economic arrangements that are not covered.

So what's new? 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Boring caved in...

However, the UK looks to have given ground on fishing rights, and secured little succour for the services sector.

Boris did the ultimate sacrifice to save his country, by surrendering, and we should all thank him for it.

We won, the EU won !!! ????

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
15 minutes ago, GrandPapillon said:

Boris did the ultimate sacrifice to save his country, by surrendering, and we should all thank him for it.

We won, the EU won !!! ????

The Irish ( EU country don't agree with you)

Irish fishing industry will be disappointed by Brexit deal, Taoiseach says

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/irish-fishing-industry-will-be-disappointed-by-brexit-deal-taoiseach-says-1.4445321?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fnews%2Fireland%2Firish-news%2Firish-fishing-industry-will-be-disappointed-by-brexit-deal-taoiseach-says-1.4445321

2 hours ago, bartender100 said:

As a hard Brexiteer, who would have been happy with no deal, on the face of it, it looks like Boris has done an amazing job. Even Farage has shown support for it

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/nigel-farage-boris-johnson-brexit-trade-deal-b1778616.html

Well done Boris for standing the ground for us

You gotta be on a wind up !!

Wait till they start dissecting this trade deal on Boxing day.....the knives are are already out for the buffoon Johnson

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, vinny41 said:

There's no good Brexit for Ireland, countries closer to the UK are the hardest hit. 

Now, Dublin got his share of the London banks and other financial services. 

And there's no way Ireland blocks the deal. 

The UK decided not to continue in Erasmus. That's a shame. Politically, I don't mind Brexit. On the economics, I think it's crazy not to be part of the EEA. At a personal level, it's a shame that my kids now can't go to universities in Europe without paying fees.  
What happened to EHIC? Has that also gone?

Edited by KhaoNiaw
  • Like 1
32 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

The UK decided not to continue in Erasmus. That's a shame. Politically, I don't mind Brexit. On the economics, I think it's crazy not to be part of the EEA. At a personal level, it's a shame that my kids now can't go to universities in Europe without paying fees.  
What happened to EHIC? Has that also gone?

this is huge loss and for British universities as well. I was an Erasmus student!

now the UK was less and less attractive because of sky-high fees of £9000/year and more, even for British students

• Like 1