UK and EU reach Brexit trade deal

webfact

27 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

“remainers and Europhiles” are the people who kept telling you that no-deal would be a disaster, right? 

You’re right, but they’re wrong. Just another of their prognostications. They’ve been wrong on everything else so far. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, candide said:

(1) That's the exports figure for goods only. Add exports of services and you get £294.3 billion (225.5 in 2015), so it's 13.3% of GDP. Not that small contribution.

I was responding to a statistic on trade goods figures. The arrangements for services have not yet been finalised anyway.

1 hour ago, candide said:

Economic growth is higher outside EU. However, in any case, It's still better to export to BOTH EU and non-EU zones.

I agree, which is exactly what we are now doing, all now under our terms of trade deal agreements, free of EU stipulations to non-EU zones.

• Like 2

interesting;

I just bought an electrical cable on www from a French firm,

halfway through the process I switched to the English lingo (my French is getting somewhat rusty now)

immediately the software flashed up in red and screamed at me

Due to the current difficulties with shipments to the UK we cannot take any orders

for shipments to the UK.

2 hours ago, bannork said:

Who Are You? Who knows what lies Behind those Blue Eyes? Do You Think it's Alright to assume he's still a Brexiteer? Roger can See For Miles, perhaps as far as France and now he's  missing Europe. Perhaps he wants To Join Together and no longer believes in the Magic red Bus 

Rather than speculate here are the words from Roger himself

Roger Daltrey says he's not changed his opinion on the EU and is "glad to be free of Brussels", despite signing an open letter calling on the government to urgently establish visa-free travel for musicians.

https://news.sky.com/story/roger-daltrey-responds-to-backlash-over-post-brexit-music-touring-comments-12194421

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see the size of grant promised to Nissan. Having suggested that they would close Sunderland when faced with the loss of the Single Market and Customs Union they suddenly went very quiet. Hopefully the information will be made public or will it be hidden for several years along with the details of the trade agreements this government is making. So much for open government. 

4 hours ago, RayC said:

On the contrary, as a remainer and europhile I welcome this news. Let's hope that Vauxhall follows suit.

I'm glad you welcome this news. I didn't see any of you remainers and Europhiles posting the news on here though...I wonder why that is ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Rather than speculate here are the words from Roger himself

Roger Daltrey says he's not changed his opinion on the EU and is "glad to be free of Brussels", despite signing an open letter calling on the government to urgently establish visa-free travel for musicians.

https://news.sky.com/story/roger-daltrey-responds-to-backlash-over-post-brexit-music-touring-comments-12194421

Do You Think it's Alright for Roger to want free travel for UK musicians within the EU? Presumably EU musicians will demand the same right in the UK.

'We're Not Going To Take It' was the response from some members of the present government.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

I'm glad you welcome this news. I didn't see any of you remainers and Europhiles posting the news on here though...I wonder why that is ????

I wasn't aware of the news. What would be the point in duplicating your post?

What more do you want? I still think that Brexit is a bad idea, but I hope to be proved wrong.

I also hope that the EU member states are successful. Care to echo that sentiment yourself, and call on your fellow Brexiters to do the same?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, RayC said:

I wasn't aware of the news. What would be the point in duplicating your post?

What more do you want? I still think that Brexit is a bad idea, but I hope to be proved wrong.

I also hope that the EU member states are successful. Care to echo that sentiment yourself, and call on your fellow Brexiters to do the same?

I'll echo.

11 minutes ago, stevenl said:

I'll echo.

Thank you, Steve. However, unless you have suddenly changed sides(?), you were not part of my target audience.  My invitation was directed at our Brexit supporting friends.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bannork said:

Do You Think it's Alright for Roger to want free travel for UK musicians within the EU? Presumably EU musicians will demand the same right in the UK.

'We're Not Going To Take It' was the response from some members of the present government.

Yes, very hypocritical - one of the major reasons of leaving the EU is to end the free movement of people/labour... yet as a musician he wants his industry to have special 'free movement'...  it takes all types.

These Brexiters keep on saying it should be like Switzerland - a frictionless border... but although Switzerland is not part of the EU they are part of the common market .. they are also part of Shengen...  (and laws passed in the EU are implemented in Switzerland through a patchwork of some 100+ agreements... sort of like being in the EU but without any say in the government).

Edited by bkkcanuck8
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Yes, very hypocritical - one of the major reasons of leaving the EU is to end the free movement of people/labour... yet as a musician he wants his industry to have special 'free movement'...  it takes all types.

Roger will have to get a visa like all the rest. No free movement for rock stars, or all the accordion players who have emerged to block our city centre streets and vacant shop doorways. The dossers can't sleep for all the noise.

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

My point is your guys seem to have no trouble finding all these obscure bits of negative news. But when there's positive news (which by the way is plastered all over the mainstream news sites), not a peep. 

I wish all EU countries success. I don't wish the EU institution in it's current form success because I don't think it deserves it. 

Of course, there is a satisfaction or dissatisfaction from being proven right or wrong in our forum debates. Whatever the side we choose, we tend to put forward the information which supports our position. That's why there is a debate. It does not mean that people losing their jobs, etc.. makes anyone happy.

As for the EU institution, as well as the Brexit proponents, they deserve their successes and failures

Edited by candide
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CG1 Blue said:

My point is your guys seem to have no trouble finding all these obscure bits of negative news. But when there's positive news (which by the way is plastered all over the mainstream news sites), not a peep.

Well most Brexiteers here have nothing to contribute beside cynical one-liners. But you can take part with sourced, non-tabloid, good news about Brexit. 

Have not seen any positive news for a while but here is one I just found, that you can submit for debate

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/jan/22/brexit-has-given-competitive-edge-on-car-battery-tariffs-says-nissan-chief

• Like 1

MEPs ask if Scotland, Wales can rejoin Erasmus student program

Citing “a pronounced aspiration coming from Scotland and Wales” to take part, the letter asks the Commission whether it could see a “pathway” for the involvement of students and young professionals in the two British nations.

https://www.politico.eu/article/meps-push-to-welcome-scotland-and-wales-back-in-erasmus-mobility-scheme/

So while England is out Scotland and Wales could stay in? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

Well most Brexiteers here have nothing to contribute beside cynical one-liners. But you can take part with sourced, non-tabloid, good news about Brexit. 

Have not seen any positive news for a while but here is one I just found, that you can submit for debate

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/jan/22/brexit-has-given-competitive-edge-on-car-battery-tariffs-says-nissan-chief

Since trade in goods are covered -- as long as the goods include enough content from EU/UK to be covered by the trade agreement (in this case adding battery manufacture in the UK or EU would suffice) then they can be imported duty free to the EU.    Basically the EU/UK trade agreement, where the manufacturers are of hard goods and can meet content requirements, are large enough that the additional red-tape import/export (i.e. Nissan is likely both the importer and exporter so they don't have to worry about the impact to customers in the EU) then there is going to be little change (and in some edge cases can be beneficial - or at least a standstill).  The losers though are the service industry and any vendor or manufacturer which is selling directly to customers from the UK.

• Like 1

UK overseas territories are loosing UK protection and are on their way to the tax havens blacklist 

The European parliament is pushing for UK overseas territories including the British Virgin Islands, Guernsey and Jersey to be added to an EU tax havens blacklist after the conclusion of the Brexit deal.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/22/meps-vote-to-add-channel-and-british-virgin-islands-to-tax-haven-blacklist

Robert Palmer, the director of the Tax Justice UK campaign group, said: “Post-Brexit the UK tax havens have lost their protector within the corridors of Brussels. I’d expect to see the EU to ramp up pressure on places like Jersey to clean up their act. The UK itself has been warned that if the government tries a Singapore-on-Thames approach, with a bonfire of regulations and taxes, then the EU will act swiftly.”

The push to expand the blacklist comes amid criticism from MEPs that the current version excludes many locations widely regarded as tax havens, including the Cayman Islands.

If my memory serves me well, the Cayman Islands is where Google declares 14bn profits (with one employee living here). 

Edited by Hi from France

21 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

UK overseas territories are loosing UK protection and are on their way to the tax havens blacklist 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/22/meps-vote-to-add-channel-and-british-virgin-islands-to-tax-haven-blacklist

If my memory serves me well, the Cayman Islands is where Google declares 14bn profits (with one employee living here). 

That was expected as the UK overseas territories have been protected by UK being part of the EU up until this point (if UK was not there the rules would have been tightened before now)...   As far as I am concerned... this is not a bad development... so a Brexit benefit of sorts.  There has been a push (starting with the US) requiring cross country reporting of foreign holdings to the account holders country of citizenship/birth...  I have implemented a lot of functionality to handle this for US accounts to systems (there is more required reporting each year as it is phased in).  I think there are around 20 countries that have been pushing a common system for their citizens accounts as well.

Edited by bkkcanuck8
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

That was expected as the UK overseas territories have been protected by UK being part of the EU up until this point (if UK was not there the rules would have been tightened before now)...   As far as I am concerned... this is not a bad development... so a Brexit benefit of sorts.  There has been a push (starting with the US) requiring cross country reporting of foreign holdings to the account holders country of citizenship/birth...  I have implemented a lot of functionality to handle this for US accounts to systems (there is more required reporting each year as it is phased in).  I think there are around 20 countries that have been pushing a common system for their citizens accounts as well.

The EU’s blacklist is an attempt to clamp down on the estimated £506bn lost to aggressive tax avoidance every year

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/feb/13/eu-to-put-cayman-islands-on-tax-haven-blacklist

a good share of that is due to HM Revenue & Customs

• Like 1