UK and EU reach Brexit trade deal

webfact

24 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

The day you know how much of your "real", physical country belongs to private or shell corporations and oligarchs, maybe you can decide to take it back. But you do not even want to know, do you?

I own the land i,m standing on.

2 hours ago, david555 said:

In the basements from Brussels Justice court is one stored ...

But i think In France Macron would be also very generous to borrow Britain one of theirs ...????

????

Many a true word spoken in jest considering the civil unrest france is having,still you reap what you sow.... 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

NO!

We have three seperate powers.

Sorry, it seems I had a wrong idea about its functioning. 

Shows this E.U. thing is really not my cup of tea. 

Thanks to refer to Wikipedia. 

I will pass however, but restrain to further post  about its way to operate. 

Maybe an advice for others here too. 

• Haha 1

up above on this thread I saw a post about Gibraltar (British sovereignty over Gibraltar was formalised by the treaty of Utrecht in 1713 but Spain has always opposed)

this is the Uk gov statement

The UK, side by side with the Government of Gibraltar, has held constructive discussions with Spain regarding future relationship issues relating to Gibraltar. All sides acknowledged the challenging nature of this process at the outset of talks. Although an agreement has not yet been reached on Gibraltar’s future relationship with the EU, we will continue our discussions with Spain to safeguard Gibraltar’s interests, and those of the surrounding region.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/statement-on-gibraltar-future-relationship

so as I understand, Gibraltar is in a no-deal situation? The latest (old) news I had were https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/feb/01/brexit-trade-talks-eu-to-back-spain-over-gibraltar-claims

image.thumb.png.cf9b386a295e56388bfc63589e396a2c.png

so Spain got what it wanted

The EU will back Spain over its territorial claims to Gibraltar in the next phase of Brexit negotiations by giving Madrid the power to exclude the British overseas territory from any trade deal struck with Brussels.

as a consequence

“They have in principle asked that the new relationship not apply to Gibraltar without the explicit consent of Spain, which will only be given if the bilateral talks with Spain and the UK over the rock are resolved,” a senior EU diplomat said.

while the UK wanted Gibraltar "in the package"

A foreign office spokesperson said: “The UK will not exclude Gibraltar from our negotiations in relation to our future relationship with the EU. We will negotiate on behalf of the whole UK family, which includes Gibraltar.”

Edited by Hi from France
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

up above on this thread I saw a post about Gibraltar (British sovereignty over Gibraltar was formalised by the treaty of Utrecht in 1713 but Spain has always opposed)

this is the Uk gov statement

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/statement-on-gibraltar-future-relationship

so as I understand, Gibraltar is in a no-deal situation? The latest (old) news I had were https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/feb/01/brexit-trade-talks-eu-to-back-spain-over-gibraltar-claims

image.thumb.png.cf9b386a295e56388bfc63589e396a2c.png

so Spain got what it wanted

as a consequence

while the UK wanted Gibraltar "in the package"

more

https://www.euronews.com/2020/12/24/brexit-clock-still-ticking-over-gibraltar-warns-british-enclave-s-leader

Gibraltar's Chief Minister Fabian Picardo  said he wants the enclave to join the Schengen Area

This would mean Britons travelling to the territory would be subjected to border controls for the first time.

One of the sticking points of the talks has been who patrols the border with Spain wanting its police to do it, a proposal roundly rejected by Picardo.

The task could instead be handed out to Frontex, the EU's border agency.

Reuters

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-spain-gibraltar/spain-to-keep-negotiating-on-gibraltar-border-after-brexit-deal-idUKKBN28Y1LA

In a 2002 referendum, 99% of Gibraltarians rejected any idea of Britain sharing sovereignty with Spain. But in 2016, nearly 96% of voters in Gibraltar backed staying in the EU, while in Britain proper the referendum vote was 52%-48% in favour of leaving the bloc.

Edited by Hi from France
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Freedom from the corrupt EU.

For me to be catalogued as the same nonsense as those who claim that the U.K. is corrupt.

"If you think the UK isn't corrupt, you haven't looked hard enough"

- The Guardian -

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Well of course, the Luftwaffe destroyed industries that were still in existence until the 70/early 80s.

Why didn’t I know that?!

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

After ww 2 all europe was decimated,america made non repayment grants to europe and uk,however the uk were given a load of ordinance under the lend -lease plan which we used to defeat the nazis ( along with usa and russia ) however at the end of the war we had to pay back the debt which we,ve only just stopped paying back,consequently in a broken country which we had to rebuild,we also had a huge debt to service,as our " friends and allies " the usa were worried about getting knocked for their investment they drew up the marshall plan,which led to the common market which morphed into the eu.anyway to get back to your original question,we had an industry using obsolete machinery and as such couldn,t compete.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Laughing Gravy said:

The Guardian Newspaper, please.

Along with the Independent, closely followed by the Observer these papers are anti British and pro EU. You claim to be 'old school'. how about broadening your very narrow reading material and give yourself some credibility. in your unbiased view.

You read my post, but clearly didn't understand it.

Try again.

But here it is :

It says I don't believe what The Guardian wrote about the U.K. being a corrupt country.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

You read my post, but clearly didn't understand it.

Try again.

But here it is :

It says I don't believe what The Guardian wrote about the U.K. being a corrupt country.

Well that is progress. As you have clearly stated many times English is not your first language.  I don't understand some of your posts but I get that one. ????

13 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

There are a number of problems with your simplistic argument.

The fist is, what is the actual cost of production?

S.American beef produced at the cost of destroying the Amazon Forrests both for grazing and cattle feed production is naturally cheaper than beef raised on UK farms.

The second is food security, wiping out UK farming isn’t such a bright idea given the outcome of the UK then being dependent on imported food (a strange kind of sovereignty).

There are other arguments around the impact of job losses in rural communities and the whole question of who actually benefits from the price cut, the consumer or the food industry?

But don’t bother your head with all that, stick with simplistic arguments that don’t challenge your world view.

How do you think the UK managed to get so much farmland?