UK and EU reach Brexit trade deal

webfact

2 hours ago, Hi from France said:

the problem in that most Brexiteers here are not just Tories, they are nationalists.

And Brexit has fanned the flames not just of English nationalism, but also of Irish and Scottish nationalism. The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is not a country that is compatible with nationalism.

The union between the Kingdom of England and the Kingdom of Scotland to form the Kingdom of Great Britain, followed by the union in 1801 of Great Britain with the Kingdom of Ireland is formed of separate nations.

• What remains of the Kingdom of Ireland wants to be a member of the European Union
  • The Kingdom of Scotland wants to be a member of the European Union
  • The British Oversea Territory of Gibraltar wants to be a member of the European Union
  • England (apart from the capital, London) does not want to be a member of the European Union

event the Welsh are pro-european.... you know that Welsh-speaking constituencies voted remain ?

So in a few days, Brexit will be effective, but the United Kingdom has a lot of soul-searching to do, lest it each piece goes its own way. ironically, the European Union was keeping the pieces of the the United Kingdom together

In other words, unless you can find a uniting and effective project as the United Kingdom, these separate nations won't be "United".

English nationalism could break the United Kingdom.

Gibraltar might be the first piece to detach in a few days. That's why I find it important to debate what is happening there

I am all for an independent Scotland, born English but with a mother that grew up in the Gorbals of Glasgow, though history I believe we have trod on the Scots enough.

But they would have zero chance of joining the EU if they applied as a country

• Like 2

1 hour ago, evadgib said:

When the dust settles I expect someone (Ferage?) will submit a FoI to find out exactly what the damage is. If it hasn't happened in a reasonable timeframe i'll do it myself.

For evil to triumph it only requires good men to do nothing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hi from France said:

Well it may surprise you but in many instances, the French view is that E.U. was run by Germany and the United Kingdom. 

France and the United Kingdom were not on the same page with European matters. 

Europe has already changed gear recently getting more ambitious and united, not only with the English influence gone, but also Trump and Covid-19. 

Good stuff the eu showing a bit of backbone,however trump has already been voted out of office,and as for covid 19 a pair of clogs i ordered from holland are still stuck in calais so if you could convey a message to macaron and tell him to pull finger on the fiasco of his making would be very gratefull.

• Like 1

On 12/25/2020 at 5:15 AM, Surelynot said:

So if 48% of the UK population vote for Boris  .......Boris is only popular with the people who like him?

No, only the alternative was disliked more

Edited by puipuitom
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hi from France said:

Documentation and delays at the border will hurt a lot.

Let's face it : the strongest proponent of the single market is now out of the single market. 

For those of you who think that the EU budget is too high : it's 1% of our GDP while the federal budget of the USA is 20%, give or take. 

Not a comparison at all.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Nearly 4 of every 5 new tractors in the UK come from just 3 giants

John Deere are American owned; New Holland are American/Italian owned; Massey Ferguson, although originally UK/Canadian owned, is now American owned.

"Long gone are the glory days when the vast majority of tractors used on UK farms were built in UK factories.

Today, only CNH Industrial’s New Holland plant in Essex survives as a major tractor assembly centre, with JCB’s Fastrac production line near Cheadle, Staffordshire, being the only other source of UK-built tractors.

Further afield, Austria, France, Germany and Italy have managed to retain tractor production on a large scale, as have Japan and the United States – the latter being the source for the majority of the highest horsepower models used in Britain"

Source: Farmers Weekly

Edited by 473geo

3 minutes ago, 473geo said:

"Long gone are the glory days when the vast majority of tractors used on UK farms were built in UK factories.

Today, only CNH Industrial’s New Holland plant in Essex survives as a major tractor assembly centre, with JCB’s Fastrac production line near Cheadle, Staffordshire, being the only other source of UK-built tractors.

Further afield, Austria, France, Germany and Italy have managed to retain tractor production on a large scale, as have Japan and the United States – the latter being the source for the majority of the highest horsepower models used in Britain"

Source: Farmers Weekly

Thanks for confirming the information in my post; that the majority of tractors sold in the UK are American!

So what is your point?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, 473geo said:

It's ok I don't expect you to understand what you are reading - and have no intention of starting a discussion - sleep well

It is you who obviously lacks understanding, not I.

My article said that most of the tractors sold in the UK these days are American. Yours says the same thing!

Thank you, I will sleep well; but as it's only 6:30pm here in Blighty, not just yet!

Edited by 7by7
Addendum
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, bartender100 said:

From 3 days ago

https://www.trtworld.com/magazine/an-overwhelming-majority-in-france-is-unhappy-with-macron-42549

"The survey of French Institute of Public Opinion shows that the popularity and trustworthiness of Emmanuel Macron is on decline.

A recently conducted survey by the French Institute of Public Opinion (IFOP) revealed that 60 percent of French people are dissatisfied with President Emmanuel Macron and Prime Minister Jean Castex"

As I said worry about France not the 5th biggest economy in the world the UK

this is right, but look closer at the poll analysis

La popularité d'Emmanuel Macron, à ce stade de son mandat, est supérieure à celle de ses prédécesseurs immédiats Nicolas Sarkozy (31%) et François Hollande (27%), selon cette étude.

translation

The popularity of Emmanuel Macron, at this stage of his mandate, is higher than that of his immediate predecessors Nicolas Sarkozy (31%) and François Hollande (27%), according to this study.

https://www.europe1.fr/politique/la-popularite-de-macron-et-castex-en-baisse-selon-un-sondage-4013602

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, nauseus said:

The UK was increasingly unable to reject/renegotiate anything EU. The decisions that Parliament were able to make due to various treaty versions plus the primacy of EU law, successive loss of vetoes and QMV. The UK could only trade with other countries according to EU rules and agreements (if they had any).

The decision we were able to make was to leave. 

•  

In other words UK could trade with other nations if EU agreements not already in-place, not as another member alleged, UK could not trade with any country outside of EU arrangements.

Is HMG 'free' of EU legislation? No...

Those who think the UK will be able to kiss goodbye to all ties with the EU and EU law after Brexit are mistaken. Yes, the EU (Withdrawal) Act 2018 (EU(W)A) repeals the European Communities Act 1972 which gives effect to the principles of direct effect (enforceability) of EU law and supremacy of EU law. However, the EU(W)A also ensures that all EU law becomes part of UK law as ‘retained EU law’.

https://ukandeu.ac.uk/where-does-brexit-leave-uk-law/

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

no what I mean is: the deal does give equal rights, but still the 'rapport de force' is not balanced

• If the EU does passes a regulation the UK doesn't like or doesn't want to follow, the UK can close its market
  • If the UK does passes a regulation the EU doesn't like or doesn't want to follow, the EU can close its market

do you see what I mean? The EU single market is 5 to 6 times bigger, even if NI and Scotland remain in the UK in the future.

I suggest you read the draft agreement  link is here

https://ec.europa.eu/info/files/eu-uk-trade-and-cooperation-agreement_en

As for NI and Scotland it will be decades before they become members of the EU, unless the EU ignore their own rules like they did for Greece

But I suspect the EU  frugal  five will ensure that doesn't happen 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

if you don't read the document then you don't know if your point is correct or not

I gave a source a few posts away that actually backs my claim and I'm not sure how you can back yours. 

Now I'm completely open to discuss this if you can give us something precise on my claim that albeit rights are reciprocal, consequences of exercising them for each party are not. 

Really 

Edited by Hi from France
  • Haha 1