Explainer: Can anything stop Trump from pardoning his family or even himself?

webfact

23 minutes ago, stevenl said:

As it should.

Still a far cry from pardoning co-conspirators.

Trump pardoned son-in-law Jared Kushner’s father, whose crimes included hiring a prostitute to seduce his brother-in-law, filming it and giving it to his sister.

Witness tampering at it's worst.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Always found Jimmy Carter's commutation of Patty Hearst interesting. Clinton followed up with a pardon, at Carter's request.

But, even Nixon knew not to pardon his co-conspriators.

Counting on pardons? Donald Trump’s allies shouldn’t hold their breath.

With Nixon, it started almost as a joke. Even before the Watergate break-in, Attorney General John Mitchell was getting nervous. Nixon told Mitchell to leak some dirt on Daniel Ellsberg, who had leaked the secret analysis of the Vietnam War known as the Pentagon Papers to journalists. Unfortunately, that dirt came from testimony before the grand jury that was investigating Ellsberg. Leaking grand jury testimony is a crime for any government attorney, including the attorney general.

Mitchell protested that he didn’t “want to go to jail,” drawing laughs from chief of staff H.R. Haldeman and policy adviser John Ehrlichman. “Of course,” Mitchell added, “if I’m going to jail, I want to go in a hurry, so I might get a pardon.”

“Ha. You bet,” Nixon said.

“Don’t count on it,” quipped Ehrlichman, prompting more laughter.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/made-by-history/wp/2018/04/26/counting-on-a-pardon-donald-trumps-allies-shouldnt-hold-their-breath/

On 12/25/2020 at 6:30 AM, TSF said:

The very second it was decided that he had lost this election the boofhead should have been removed from office.

"The very second it was decided that he had lost this election..."

When was that decided and by whom...you?   You don't quite understand the US electoral process, do you?

Edited by Spatiumus
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 12/25/2020 at 8:15 AM, Chomper Higgot said:
On 12/25/2020 at 8:06 AM, Kelsall said:

Source?

If Trump and his spawn haven’t broken the law they won’t need a Pardon, simples.

Well, none of them have been charged with anything so they've got that in their favour, so far.

On 12/25/2020 at 12:23 PM, Kelsall said:

Not one of these shows a criminal conviction in a court of law.  You are unable to provide proof Trump has ever been convicted of a criminal offense because non exists.

Yep, he's Mr Niceguy, totally honest and sincere, butter wouldn't melt in his mouth. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Spatiumus said:

"The very second it was decided that he had lost this election..."

When was that decided and by whom...you?   You don't quite understand the US electoral process, do you?

Given the Trump's team record in the courts, it's clear that if anyone doesn't understand the electoral process, it's them. And people who believe in the validity of their cause.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spatiumus said:

What's he been charged with?

No criminal charge yet, but plenty of loses in court through the company he owns.  Fraud is the biggie.

And MANY cases upcoming.  Starting Jan 20th, it's going to be fun.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 12/25/2020 at 5:35 AM, Jeffr2 said:

Most individuals granted executive clemency by Obama had been convicted on drug charges,[4] and had received lengthy and sometimes mandatory sentences at the height of the war on drugs.[5]

....unless they were terrorists.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/01/oscar-lopez-commutation-barack-obama-214685

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bluehippie said:

I'll bet if trump resigned the presidency, say at 11 AM on January 20th, handed the reigns to Pence, he and his can all get pardoned from Pence. Simple and effective.

Wouldn’t it be hilarious if Chief Justice Roberts at that point refuses to swear in Pence...

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Gulfsailor said:

Wouldn’t it be hilarious if Chief Justice Roberts at that point refuses to swear in Pence...

Strap in for some congressional hijinks the first week of January.  There has been chatter that House members from states that signed on to that Texas silliness that SCOTUS threw out might be challenged, as those states appear to question  the validity of the elections, have quarrel with the electoral process, etc.  Will Pelosi send them home and have those states run fresh elections for those seats?  A few days later will be the Georgia run-offs.

This is the series finale of the 45 reality show, expect fireworks. 

7 hours ago, Sujo said:

What would stop trump is if 70 million actually got an education.

I consider the election of DT and the rabid supporters he engendered to be a referendum on the sorry state of education in the US.  Weaponized ignorance.

8 hours ago, moontang said:

Trump has issued clemency about 60 times.  Obama 1900...so, who are really the uneducated? 

133068384_10224341163738972_1803106964436028475_o.jpg

You don't seem to understand that a vast majority pardoned by Obama were in jail for drug charges.  Overly severe jail terms due to the failed war on drugs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

edward snowden must be wetting himself?

I had the impression Stone was trying to bring him back, as a patriot hero.

Quite a dilemma: live out his days in exile, or return to his native land and forever be known as a Trump facilitator.

Susan Rice has a hair up her hiney regarding this guy, something major.

Edited by bendejo

3 hours ago, bendejo said:

I had the impression Stone was trying to bring him back, as a patriot hero.

Quite a dilemma: live out his days in exile, or return to his native land and forever be known as a Trump facilitator.

Susan Rice has a hair up her hiney regarding this guy, something major.

"Quite a dilemma: live out his days in exile, or return to his native land and forever be known as a Trump facilitator."

Not really, he'd go home in a second.

19 hours ago, Gulfsailor said:

It would be funny, but I rather suspect that any (federal judge) can swear in a president - as happened with LBJ after John Kennedy was assassinated.

They may have to scratch around a bit but I am sure they will find someone - after all, if Powell and Giulliani can hold licences to practice at the bar...

4 minutes ago, Nout said:

Does anybody remember this kind of debate when Obama pardoned hundreds of his supporters?

Earlier post from Jeffr2: "You don't seem to understand that a vast majority pardoned by Obama were in jail for drug charges.  Overly severe jail terms due to the failed war on drugs."

Earlier post from myself: "And how many of those were involved in inquiries/proceedings against the president?"

• Like 2