Good News. The British TV Club just added CatchUp ))))

Muzzique

For those in the know, the British TV Club provides almost all live UK channels online for British Expats round the World over the internet without a VPN.

It a fully legal service and priced at a reasonable £3.45 a month for full HD. Amazingly today they added an independent free Catch Up service.

Don't expect a perfect Catchup UI interface as these guys run it as a service to support expats and are not big corporate entity, They released it in a rough and ready version so we can use it over Christmas while they perfect it going forwards.. 

Works just like a normal home recording service so you can skip through the adverts if you want. Not like the current catchup services from ITV, Channel4 or Dplay. Best of all it's a free service for club members.

At the moment it's limited to the last 24hrs only but I wanted to give these guys support for this project so I thought I'd list it here.

It's a members only club but if you're not a member yet, just PM me for a nomination if you need one.

• Thanks 1

On 12/25/2020 at 3:48 AM, worgeordie said:

So you cannot play it through your browser,you have to add the MU3 list

to an IPTV App ?

No, it works through the Browser.

The M3U is for IPTV boxes or for recording only.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Muzzique said:

No, it works through the Browser.

The M3U is for IPTV boxes or for recording only.

I cannot work out how to do that    OK , worked out how it works..

regards Worgeordie

Edited by worgeordie

3 hours ago, fishtank said:

Fully legal? ????

The simple fact that they have to stay under the radar, by allowing"members only", should already enough proof that it is not legal.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/questions/watching-outside-the-uk/outside-uk

Due to rights agreements, you need to be in the UK to stream and download programmes or watch BBC TV channels on BBC iPlayer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, fishtank said:

Fully legal? ????

Membership clubs fit into this. And this is membership only and run under strict rules and guidelines.

It can provide live streams but can't provide access to iPlayer etc.

Edited by Muzzique
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Muzzique said:

Membership clubs fit into this. And this is membership only and run under strict rules and guidelines.

It can provide live streams but can't provide access to iPlayer etc.

So because it is a membership, BBC or other UK broadcasters have now obtained the rights in countries outside the UK?

Iplayer is just an app provided by BBC, nothing to do with copyrights

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Susco said:

Iplayer is just an app provided by BBC, nothing to do with copyrights

iPlayer provides VOD and as such is region specific.

https://rm.coe.int/legal-aspects-of-video-on-demand/1680789959

FTA streams have no regional block, provided you are not undertaking re-transmission.

If you are a viewer receiving them within the country of origin you must have a suitable license.

Edited by Muzzique

7 minutes ago, Muzzique said:

iPlayer provides VOD and as such is region specific.

https://rm.coe.int/legal-aspects-of-video-on-demand/1680789959

FTA streams have no regional block, provided you are not undertaking re-transmission.

If you are a viewer receiving them within the country of origin you must have a suitable license.

Not worth replying to you anymore, as it is quite obvious that you are involved in running this ILLEGAL service.

Maybe you should read up a bit on broadcasting rights and broadcasting licences. By the way BBC and ITV are not FTA, they are paid for by the UK tax payer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcast_license

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcasting_rights

Nothing to do with VOD, in fact it is LEGAL to watch recorded streams abroad, given you have recorded them inside the UK

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/questions/watching-outside-the-uk/outside-uk

But if you download a programme on BBC iPlayer when you're in the UK, you can watch it anywhere in the world. You can download programmes on your computer or mobile/tablet.

While we are interested in being able to allow UK licence fee payers to access BBC iPlayer when they are abroad, there are complex technical issues to resolve which we are investigating and it will be dependent on what legislation is in effect in the UK in the future.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Susco said:

While we are interested in being able to allow UK licence fee payers to access BBC iPlayer when they are abroad, there are complex technical issues to resolve which we are investigating and it will be dependent on what legislation is in effect in the UK in the future.

Who is "we"? I access iplayer now, via a vpn. just watched last night's MOTD. However I resent the BBC nazis trying every trick in the book to block me. No problem with ITV Hub. All4 and My5 just the BBC nazis,

2 minutes ago, polpott said:

Who is "we"? I access iplayer now, via a vpn. just watched last night's MOTD. However I resent the BBC nazis trying every trick in the book to block me. No problem with ITV Hub. All4 and My5 just the BBC nazis,

We is obviously the BBC, as it was posted on their website.

Yes you can watch it using a VPN, but that doesn't make it legal. The fact that you need to use a VPN, should make it clear that it is not legal to watch it outside the UK, for the reason that BBC has paid only the rights for some of their programs to be broadcasted in the UK, and that the broadcasting rights for those programs may be owned by other companies outside the UK

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Susco said:

We is obviously the BBC, as it was posted on their website.

Yes you can watch it using a VPN, but that doesn't make it legal. The fact that you need to use a VPN, should make it clear that it is not legal to watch it outside the UK, for the reason that BBC has paid only the rights for some of their programs to be broadcasted in the UK, and that the broadcasting rights for those programs may be owned by other companies outside the UK

Same applies for all other UK terrestrial channels and only a minority of BBC programing but only the BBC gets its knickers in a twist.

image.png.b33f187ed78e406924540bf788828a66.png

I am not involved in this enterprise, but I totally agree. There are future legal arguments that need to be resolved here but as it stands it is not an illegal service.

By fighting change you just drive it underground as seen with the Record companies fight to retain DRM control  in the late 90's and early 2000's by resisting internet streaming. Now it is the biggest sales platform.

By fighting the change the BBC are just adding power to the VPN, Real Debrid and Kodi based services. Time for the BBC to step up and embrace the future rather than digging their heels in. They are missing an opportunity here.

Edited by Muzzique
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Muzzique said:

By fighting the change the BBC are just adding power to the VPN, Real Debrid and Kodi based services. Time for the BBC to step up and embrace the future rather than digging their heels in. They are missing an opportunity here.

It seems you still don't get it that the reason BBC is (trying) to block access from outside the UK, is not their own decision, but that they are forced to it by the copyright holders of the streams.

Is Sky TV or BT Sports freely accessible from Thailand, without the use of a VPN, even if you pay for a subscription?

Edited by Susco
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Susco said:

It seems you still don't get it that the reason BBC is (trying) to block access from outside the UK, is not their own decision, but that they are forced to it by the copyright holders of the streams.

Is Sky TV or BT Sports freely accessible from Thailand, without the use of a VPN, even if you pay for a subscription?

So why isn't ITV, Channels 4 and 5 not waging war on VPNs?

11 minutes ago, polpott said:

So why isn't ITV, Channels 4 and 5 not waging war on VPNs?

Channel 4 and 5 are free to air, and don't receive government subsidies.

For ITV you also need a VPN to view outside the UK, but they are not as sophisticated as the BBC yet, in that they can detect VPN's

Just wait a little longer, and they will be there also

Edited by Susco
  • Like 1

This not something exclusive to the UK. Australian channels 7-9 are also free to air in OZ, but you need a VPN in Thailand, and not just any VPN.

Same goes for TV in my country. They all have online apps, but you need a VPN to watch the channels

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Susco said:

Channel 4 and 5 are free to air, and don't receive government subsidies.

For ITV you also need a VPN to view outside the UK, but they are not as sophisticated as the BBC yet, in that they can detect VPN's

All wrong I'm afraid, you need a VPN to watch ITV, Channel 4 and 5. The difference with BBC is that they pursue vehemently the VPNs and are continuously trying to block them.

2 minutes ago, polpott said:

All wrong I'm afraid, you need a VPN to watch ITV, Channel 4 and 5. The difference with BBC is that they pursue vehemently the VPNs and are continuously trying to block them.

Try reading my post again.

they are not as sophisticated as the BBC yet, in that they can detect VPN's

This not something exclusive to the UK. Australian channels 7-9 are also free to air in OZ, but you need a VPN in Thailand, and not just any VPN.

Don't worry, you can discuss this as long as you want. I sell IPTV services for many years, so I know what I'm talking about

6 minutes ago, Susco said:

Try reading my post again.

they are not as sophisticated as the BBC yet, in that they can detect VPN's

Don't worry, you can discuss this as long as you want. I sell IPTV services for many years, so I know what I'm talking about

Its not an IPTV service.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, polpott said:

Its not an IPTV service.

Wait a minute, you have just shown that you have no idea at all what you are talking about.

Internet Protocol television (IPTV) is the delivery of television content over Internet Protocol (IP) networks.

So you get BBC over the cable here in Thailand I assume.

With my comment I know what I'm talking about, and you clearly not, is that, because I am involved in this kind of business, I know what is allowed in regard to broadcasting rights and what not.

Bye

Edited by Susco
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

I know its an old topic but I stumbled on it today due to TVMucho going offline so I was doing a few web searches for relevant topics and have never seen this before.

My reply might be relevant now since TVMucho has gone offline and some people in your part of the world might be looking for an alternative.

For the record, the British TV Club operates as a members only club in an effort to stay legal! The "Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988" clearly states that is is against legislation to broadcast to the public. We do not broadcast to the public, it's as simple as that. 

Memberships are vetted, many are declined. There is no instant access to our club or to watch TV to the public. I believe this part of the reason why we are still around in 2023 when many like us have closed down.   

Of course I would not like to test this in a court of law with the financial might of the BBC! After all they represent a big part of the "establishment" (or the "big club" as George Carlin put it!) along with HMCS etc and could probably get things changed if they tried! 

It is what it is, a way for Brits to watch TV in a relatively safe manner - as in - we hopefully wont disappear or remove channels without warning unlike all of the websites which *do* broadcast to the public - Filmon, TVMucho, TransponderTV, ExpatTV, TVCatchup, etc. Where are they all now, or where are some of the main channels?  They've all been hit hard. 

If anyone would like to study the act, it's here: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/48/contents

Edited by BTVC
  • Thumbs Up 1