94 domestic cases among 110 new Covid-19 patients

rooster59

94 domestic cases among 110 new Covid-19 patients

By THE NATION

800_45f51635878fa11.png

The Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) on Saturday revealed 110 cases in the past 24 hours, including 94 domestic cases and 16 in state quarantine.

Of the 94 cases, 64 were Thai nationals while 30 were migrant workers living in the country.

18 were in Bangkok,10 in Phetchaburi, seven in Samut Prakan, five in Chai Nat, four in Ratchaburi, three each in Nakhon Ratchasima and Rayong, two each in Saraburi, Chaiyaphum, Satun and Chachoengsao, one each in Ayutthaya, Pathumthani, Trang, Khon Kaen, Phichit, and Songkhla.

The new cases in quarantine facilities included two from Myanmar, four from Russia, three from the US, and one each from France, Turkey, the UK, Mozambique, India, Saudi Arabia and Germany.

The total number of confirmed cases in Thailand has risen to 6,020 -- 4,061 domestic cases, of which 1,338 were migrant workers, and 1,959 in quarantine centres -- 4,152 have recovered and been discharged while 60 people have died.

According to Worldometer, as of 10am on Saturday, the total number of confirmed cases globally had risen to 80.20 million (up by 472,443), 56.47 million have recovered, 23.73 million are active cases (105,785 in severe condition) and 1.75 million have died (up by 8,374).

Thailand ranks 144th for most cases in the world, while the US tops the list with 19.21 million, followed by India 10.16 million, Brazil 7.44 million, Russia 2.99 million and France 2.54 million.

nation.jpg

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

Just read that maybe reach 10,000. Why? Because of testing which was previously done if fever was present so doesn't represent asymptomatic. Numbers of around 90% is being said to be asymptomatic with the testing going on. If one extrapolates this to overall numbers from 1st round then the official numbers would represent around 10% of actual infections. So this is really admitting that true numbers would be a great deal higher with greater testing. What most have been saying here since the beginning.

90 percent truly asymptomatic is much higher than overseas estimates . Asymptomatic should be reserved for those that show no symptoms for the duration of the infection. I would put money on the majority of those being asymptomatic. I wouldn't be so quick to extrapolate to the whole population in the country. 

9 minutes ago, DavisH said:

90 percent truly asymptomatic is much higher than overseas estimates . Asymptomatic should be reserved for those that show no symptoms for the duration of the infection. I would put money on the majority of those being asymptomatic. I wouldn't be so quick to extrapolate to the whole population in the country. 

Not extrapolating to the whole population. I did not say that. Extrapolating to official numbers of infections as stated. As for 90% that's the number coming out of Samu Sakhon.

Edited by dinsdale

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Whilst ranking 177th in testing per million on the same worldometer - behind such advanced countries as Togo, Uzbekistan, Rwanda, and even Kyrgyzstan 

Where is your country ranked? 
Have they handled it better than Thailand?

Or do they have 24,000 unexplained excess deaths? On top of the 70,000 admitted.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

The virus is most likely out and about now. 

The key is they keep testing on mass and followed by a hardcore track and trace system. At the moment there testing is so low that they are clearly not going to find those who are asymptomatic, yet can still pass the virus on. 

Hospitalisations over the course of the next few weeks will be a key indicator.

47 minutes ago, DavisH said:

The problem is if you asymptomatic with this virus you can still spread it - and pass it on and on till it eventually shows up in someone who is vulnerable 

49 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Not extrapolating to the whole population. I did not say that. Extrapolating to official numbers of infections as stated. As for 90% that's the number coming out of Samu Sakhon.

Ok so the pcr tests detect the presence of pieces of sars cov 2 virus in the body, so it is important to note that it doesn't distinguish between live virus, dead virus, viral fragments, debris etc.... We can decipher this if they released how many cycles were used, but for some reason they don't. We also know that many people have sars cov 2 viral debris in their systems for a long time (on the order of months).

So if 90% are asymptomatic and the hospitals are quiet, then we can assume that the "infection" numbers published everywhere are not actual active covid-19 infections

13 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

Still no deaths since the second outbreak.

Are they testing dead people?

They are not in Chiang Mai. Posthumous tests for COVID19 are not being performed here. We tried with someone we lost and it wasn’t a conversation anyone would even have with us.

25 minutes ago, Natai Beach said:

Where is your country ranked? 
Have they handled it better than Thailand?

Or do they have 24,000 unexplained excess deaths? On top of the 70,000 admitted.

The truth really bothers you I’ve noticed. 

Perhaps your question would be better asked NOT on a board about Thailand where everyone is and this news is talking about.

But for what it’s worth, my home country is back open and life is continuing on, as they completely beat the virus. What about your home country?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, sawademe said:

Ok so the pcr tests detect the presence of pieces of sars cov 2 virus in the body, so it is important to note that it doesn't distinguish between live virus, dead virus, viral fragments, debris etc.... We can decipher this if they released how many cycles were used, but for some reason they don't. We also know that many people have sars cov 2 viral debris in their systems for a long time (on the order of months).

So if 90% are asymptomatic and the hospitals are quiet, then we can assume that the "infection" numbers published everywhere are not actual active covid-19 infections

Asymptomatic means you are testing positive but display no symtoms. It is not an anti-body test. You have covid.

6 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Asymptomatic means you are testing positive but display no symtoms. It is not an anti-body test. You have covid.

wrong, pcr positive doesn't mean you "have covid".

Covid is the active infection from the virus, the pcr tests for presence of viral fragments, reread my post.

9 minutes ago, dcnx said:

The truth really bothers you I’ve noticed. 

Perhaps your question would be better asked NOT on a board about Thailand where everyone is and this news is talking about.

But for what it’s worth, my home country is back open and life is continuing on, as they completely beat the virus. What about your home country?

so Richard Coleman knows the truth and not the very detailed information provided. 

Should I believe Richard’s data? He just makes it up.

I was asking about Richard’s country not yours. 

But back in my home country it is still a big problem. Government coverups about a hotel quarantine fiasco, new daily cases, interstate borders closed off, Bunnings Karens refusing to mask up.

And yesterday in Sydney we had hundreds of backpackers from Europe, the USA and the UK (the most infected) all ignoring social distancing, mask wearing etc and having a big party. Everyone is filthy on them.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/hundreds-of-backpackers-gather-for-dance-party-on-bronte-beach-002918771.html

And a death rate per population a massive 30 times what Thailands is, despite the fact that we are an island and have no porous borders so have it much easier.

I can admit Thailand has done a far superior job than my home country, others are unable to, they just don’t have it in them.

My government has blown the budget for the next 30-40 years and we have a religious PM who started mouthing off to our biggest trading customer sending even more businesses broke, coal, wine, beef etc. 
It is never ending disaster mate, and very difficult to enter or leave. 

It is not good mate.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Natai Beach said:

And yesterday in Sydney we had hundreds of backpackers from Europe, the USA and the UK (the most infected) all ignoring social distancing, mask wearing etc and having a big party. Everyone is filthy on them.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/hundreds-of-backpackers-gather-for-dance-party-on-bronte-beach-002918771.html

I'd worry about yahoo news. Australia has only been open to citizens or residents for months so their nationality isn't really relevant. Not condoning what they did.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, sawademe said:

Covid is the active infection from the virus, the pcr tests for presence of viral fragments, reread my post.

Agree. Those showing asymtomatic are related to the cluster and as such would you not say they have active covid-19 and that's why they are being quarantined?

38 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Agree. Those showing asymtomatic are related to the cluster and as such would you not say they have active covid-19 and that's why they are being quarantined?

The difficulty of distinguishing asymptomatic persons from those who are merely presymptomatic is a stumbling block. To be clear, the asymptomatic individual is infected with SARS-CoV-2 but will never develop symptoms of COVID-19. (lifted from google search acp journals)

Edited by dinsdale

1 hour ago, sawademe said:

While true, I think that's possibly a tiny bit misleading. What the most comprehensive study on this that I've seen (by the Oxford Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine) says, is that PCR tests can potentially pick up on non-viable fragments of viral RNA, depending on exactly how the PCR test is designed and what cut-off points they use.

PCR positives - what do they mean?

Here's how the study's authors put it:

“PCR detection of viruses is helpful so long as its accuracy can be understood: it offers the capacity to detect RNA in minute quantities, but whether that RNA represents infectious virus may not be clear.” 

So I think it's more accurate to say that some PCR tests may detect "dead" virus particles - rather than saying that that all PCR tests do this (and that, by implication, are therefore useless).

Edited by GroveHillWanderer

13 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

While true, I think that's possibly a tiny bit misleading. What the most comprehensive study on this that I've seen (by the Oxford Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine) says, is that PCR tests can potentially pick up on non-viable fragments of viral RNA, depending on exactly how the PCR test is designed and what cut-off points they use.

PCR positives - what do they mean?

Here's how the study's authors put it:

So I think it's more accurate to say that some PCR tests may detect "dead" virus particles - rather than saying that that all PCR tests do this (and that, by implication, are therefore useless).

The "number of cycles" threshold that I mentioned in my first post relates to the "cut-off" points that you mention. If they published how many cycles they were using with their pcr testing then it would tell us whether these people had active covid infections from the sars cov-2 virus versus viral fragments of sars cov-2 lingering in their systems from an infection that occurred weeks/months ago (or recent exposure to the virus but no actual infection). 

If we are seeing 90% of people with pcr positive tests presenting as asymptomatic, then most likely this population of people have some built in immunity or were infected a long time ago but never tested.

What I was trying to allude to, probably poorly on my part, is that this is all be good news for Thailand, either their population has some existing immunity to coronaviruses or the virus already swept through the population (or some combination of the two).

Edited by sawademe