Thai govt eyes offering long weekend every month next year

webfact

39 minutes ago, samtam said:

So those who get a holiday effectively get a pay rise.

My maid works Monday to Friday afternoons, and gets paid the same per month, including for Government holidays.

this is not the norm.

ย 

In some companies -ย If they haveย 20 days holiday allowance per year and 10 of those are bank holidays then the employee will have 10 days to take throughout the year. The more forced bank holiday, the less holiday time they get.

ย 

My wife used to be a teacher at a privateย school, holidayย could notย be taken back to back to a bank holiday, she was not allowed to take more than 3 days in a row and often they would be required to go in on a holiday for โ€œbig cleeeningโ€

ย 

(Iโ€™m not asking for answers or sympathy,ย just pointing out the way it is for some Thai people)

• Like 2

On 12/28/2020 at 4:04 PM, ThailandRyan said:

So twelve more days off a year in addition to the already known holidays, basically, it makes me think that there will never be a full week of work for the Government offices and the backups at DLT, and Immigration will continue unabated.ย  They need to look at allowing all people needing services with Immigration the ability to use any location and not just the ones in their provinces as well as looking at some online abilities such as they currently have for doing the 90 day report, and the TM30.ย  Maybe allowing longer hours per day would help on cutting down the ques and backup that they currently have at places like DLT and CW here in Bangkok which seems to be the locations most severely impacted due to the long closures for Covid and Holidays.ย 

Methinks their best solution would be to say: "stuff it, stay as long as you like. We don't know what we are doing anyway".

Wife has a restaurant on the beach next to a large hotel. On all of the never ending holidays this year it isย the hotels that are making money. The local Thais load up their cars and trucks and bring everything with them food, drink tables bbqs and neverย  buy anything from the stores ect. And the ones who stay in the big hotels just stay in and eat and drink there.So it looks like the only one doing any good out these dozens of holiday are the rich hotel owners

• Like 1

9 hours ago, IraqRon said:

Well I for one am not amused.ย  Another long weekend causing the schools to be closed and my daughter to be home for another day each month.ย  They are already being limited to two weeks break between terms.ย  Also I am tired of having my free time taken up due to all the days off when I must care for her.ย ย 

ย 

I am not overly impressed either. Having said that I am looking forward to having my son around for an extra day a month and enjoy being with him. I am 76 and he is 16. Perhaps I can teach him some practical things that will make his lie easier as he gets older.

ย 

Working on a 20 day working month, are all the government officials going to take a 5% pay cut?

1 hour ago, mikebell said:
On 12/28/2020 at 8:11 PM, edwinchester said:

Spot on. The allocated budget for vaccines is enough for only 20% of the population.

But we're going to the moon.

The sooner they realise the moon is made of cheese (specifically Stilton, which most locals seem allergic to), the sooner the space exploration budget can be used for more earthly matters.

• Like 1