"Impossible situation": British skiers flee Swiss quarantine, destination unknown

webfact

"Impossible situation": British skiers flee Swiss quarantine, destination unknown

2020-12-28T143358Z_1_LYNXMPEGBR0LO_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-BRITAIN-SKI.JPG

FILE PHOTO: A snow making machine is pictured, before the official opening of the Alpine ski resort of Verbier on December 5, amid the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak, in Verbier, Switzerland December 1, 2020. Picture taken December 1, 2020. REUTERS/Denis Balibouse/File Photo

ZURICH (Reuters) - Hundreds of Britons have fled quarantine in the Swiss ski resort of Verbier, with the country's health minister attributing the exodus to an "impossible situation" where authorities moved at short-notice to contain a new variant of the coronavirus.

On Dec 21, the Swiss government ordered people who had arrived from the United Kingdom and South Africa since Dec. 14 to undergo a 10-day quarantine to prevent the spread of more contagious variants of the coronavirus. It also halted flights before allowing them to resume a few days later so stranded visitors could return home.

Swiss media reported on Sunday that about 200 British citizens left Verbier before the end of their quarantine.

Hundreds of Britons spending the holidays in the Swiss ski resort of Verbier fled the village to avoid quarantine rules put in place by Switzerland's government after the discovery of a new strain of the coronavirus in the United Kingdom. Emily Wither reports.

Asked about the run-away tourists, Health Minister Alain Berset told reporters in Basel: "We are aware of that. It is obviously a problem, there was an order to quarantine that has not been respected."

He said he didn't know the current whereabouts of the tourists, but suspected that they had gone home.

"One shouldn't underestimate what an impossible situation it was," he said. "We had to decide within hours what to do ... That things don't work perfectly in such a situation, that problems surface is a reality we have to live with."

Simon Wiget, director of Verbier tourism, told Reuters that the sudden quarantine order had placed local authorities in a difficult situation. "It's our role to pass on information, we're not the police," he said.

(Reporting by Silke Koltrowitz; Editing by Kirsten Donovan)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-12-29

• Sad 1

Must have got fed up being limited to swiss cheese and hot cocoa...

Im happy to take their place if the cocoa is brought by Swiss Miss, or beer by St Pauli Girl, my only true love..<3  I'll bring the ricola in case she gets a sore throat! ????

Edited by ChakaKhan

32 minutes ago, stretch5163 said:

Whoa wait hang on a minute they were allowed in by the Swiss in the first place so why are they to blame ?

Because they were not allowed to just leave without quarantine. They broke laws, that’s why they’re to blame. 

32 minutes ago, stretch5163 said:

They should have been given the option of quarantine and or repatriation not simly wake uo and be told by the way your british you are now in quarantine for 10 days.

I see you demand the rule of law only when it suits you. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Being banged up for 14 days is not appealing to us Brits in any country ????

And people in the UK wonder why the COVID situation is so bad... No one else wonders why, we all know the UK is a disgracefully selfish nation.

What happened to "keep calm and carry on" , or the more traditional "stiff upper lip". What a disgrace my country of origin has become.

Quite what they were thinking going on holiday in times like these is beyond me. Selfish, ill planned and irresponsible.

Boris shouldn't be letting people fly out of the country at all - and he shouldn't be allowing people in either.

I suppose it's too late now for anyone to care about following protocol. Yesterday over 41,000 cases - bearing in mind this is reported cases over christmas. There will be a lot of under-reported cases due to delays, and people not going to get tested and miss stuffing their faces with more stuffing.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

And people in the UK wonder why the COVID situation is so bad... No one else wonders why, we all know the UK is a disgracefully selfish nation.

What happened to "keep calm and carry on" , or the more traditional "stiff upper lip". What a disgrace my country of origin has become.

Quite what they were thinking going on holiday in times like these is beyond me. Selfish, ill planned and irresponsible.

Boris shouldn't be letting people fly out of the country at all - and he shouldn't be allowing people in either.

I suppose it's too late now for anyone to care about following protocol. Yesterday over 41,000 cases - bearing in mind this is reported cases over christmas. There will be a lot of under-reported cases due to delays, and people not going to get tested and miss stuffing their faces with more stuffing.

What has "Keep calm and carry on and stiff upper lip" got to do with Brit skiers abroad...?....????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, transam said:

What has "Keep calm and carry on and stiff upper lip" got to do with Brit skiers abroad...?....????

I didn't think that needed explaining. Then again, I've just been complaining that these traditions seemed to have evaporated so i shouldn't be surprised. They are traditional British phrases and pretty much everyone in the western world would recognise these attributes as British.

Stiff upper lip: A person who is said to have a stiff upper lip displays fortitude and stoicism in the face of adversity

Keep calm and carry on: keep calm and carry on is a popular slogan calling for persistence in the face of challenge. It was first used on a British propaganda poster during World War II but now enjoys general currency as an expression of resilience.

These Brits haven't displayed fortitude, resilience or stoicism in the face of a challenge/difficult situation. [comment deleted] They could potentially be spreading the disease to others.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, colinneil said:

People wonder why covid is spreading around the world, irresponsible idiots like them are to blame.

They dont care about others, only enjoying themselves, bunch of irresponsible idiots.

Yeah, no wonder over 70,000 deaths with idiots like these. 

And a new mutant covid strains because of them that is 70% more contagious.

The UK just had its worst day and week infections wise. With all the Xmas parties and new year parties we can pretty much pencil the bodies piling up in February.

And they are out in the streets protesting again. Morons.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/uk-covid-case-update-looming-disaster-as-hospitals-overflow/news-story/f37b646c4878a687d8114af513a7cb3c

Edited by Natai Beach
  • Sad 2

46 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

Boris shouldn't be letting people fly out of the country at all

I have read here people complaining that the “Chinese government sent their citizens abroad in February to spread covid to the world”

This is very similar.

I feel for the Swiss, this will likely result in Swiss deaths, an covid outbreak and it will further hurt businesses and people’s financial situation.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

7 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

A bunch of selfish irresponsible idiots.

You were not there and do not know the conditions or circumstances of their imprisonment. In the early days the quarantining of people on cruise liners led to their death being trapped in unhygienic, closed quarters. For all we know the Swizz situation may have been similar. Simply locking people in a toxic petri dish without ample, well though

• Like 1