Buying a new ute

nzthai

I've been struggling through the dealers for discounts. It seems the manufacturers control the selling price. A dealer can only sell at factory authorized prices. I've gone to 2 or more dealers looking for the same new vehicle, and never have I received a different quoted price. Basically it is price fixing. This kind of price control is illegal in USA, Canada, and other countries, with anti-combines anti-competitive legislation. Many would say this type business practice likely reduces competition and leads to higher prices, reduced quality or levels of service, or less innovation.

A dealer can add-on accessories and services which are included in the sale price, which may differ by dealer. New car dealers like to include 1st class insurance, which they value at 18-20K baht, but it can be purchased elsewhere at a much cheaper price. If they give you free window tinting, be sure ask for a 7 year or more warranty on the tinting.

License price can differ by dealer. One dealer offered 5,000 baht another was 7,000 baht.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Not really. Angling for a discount with a cash purchase or waiting for end of model year discounts are pretty much unknown phenomena here

Nonsense, I got 300k  off a  Chevrolet the second time and 100k  off  one the first  time before they decided to quit  Thailand, Also I see  Ford  discount too

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/29/2020 at 11:32 PM, Banana7 said:

I've been struggling through the dealers for discounts. It seems the manufacturers control the selling price. A dealer can only sell at factory authorized prices. I've gone to 2 or more dealers looking for the same new vehicle, and never have I received a different quoted price. Basically it is price fixing. This kind of price control is illegal in USA, Canada, and other countries, with anti-combines anti-competitive legislation. Many would say this type business practice likely reduces competition and leads to higher prices, reduced quality or levels of service, or less innovation.

A dealer can add-on accessories and services which are included in the sale price, which may differ by dealer. New car dealers like to include 1st class insurance, which they value at 18-20K baht, but it can be purchased elsewhere at a much cheaper price. If they give you free window tinting, be sure ask for a 7 year or more warranty on the tinting.

License price can differ by dealer. One dealer offered 5,000 baht another was 7,000 baht.

This type of pricing is legal and common with many products in the US, just not with cars.

On 12/30/2020 at 2:24 AM, NanLaew said:

Not really. Angling for a discount with a cash purchase or waiting for end of model year discounts are pretty much unknown phenomena here. Most dealerships will give you a cheap window tint, flimsy rubber floor mats, some horrible molded perspex window shades and half a tank of go juice and expect you to wai them.

The biggest 'steal' is the one year of free first-class insurance. Better to go and get your own insurance deal and tell the dealership to give you the 20 k baht they would have 'saved' you instead in cash.

I went to 3 dealers in the same town, Chevrolet, Toyota, Chevrolet and Ford, in that order.

Chevrolet sales people the first time were no where to be seen, second time the receptionist said that they were very busy on the phone and if we would wait someone would be along shortly, as you can imagine, we didn't stay. 

We told the salesman at Toyota we were looking to buy a vehicle with no finance and we were buying one today, and if he wanted to be in the running, we would need his best price, he said they don't bargain, we thanked him and left.

Walked into Ford, price tag was 830,000 baht, told the salesman (manager) same as we did to Toyota, and he said, 800,000 baht, free 1st class insurance, rubber mats, free window tinting, and delivery within a week.

Shook hands, true to his word, we had the car in a week, he rang us as it was rolling up in the semi, he wanted us there as it was coming off the truck, he got his staff to wash the dust off of it and then took us for a test drive, he was a bit of a heavy foot because at 160kmh, I said if you don't take your foot off the accelerator and drop your speed to the speed limit, you can keep the car.

Forgot to mention, the salesman from Toyota rang the wife the same afternoon after we closed the deal with Ford and asked what we wanted to do as that was the last vehicle he had in stock, my wife said, we just purchased a Ford as the salesman there reduced his price by 30,000 baht, through in 1st class insurance and rubber mats and tinted windows, he said he could beat that, with my wife replying, you had your chance and hung up.

Moral of the story, if those with the car you want don't want to bargain in price, let them keep it, keep looking until someone will bargain down a better price.

That was 5 years ago and been very happy with the car, service and support from Ford, albeit it we now have the oils and other works when required done by a private mechanic as it is half the price, e.g. outside of warranty so we get to choose who we use and save at least half the amount, less overheads I guess.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Moral of the story, if those with the car you want don't want to bargain in price, let them keep it, keep looking until someone will bargain down a better price.

Very True

Make an offer, if refused - walk away.

We didn't even get back to the hotel and the guy foned back and said we accept.

"It's my Money and I'll Pay if I Want To ..."

to paraphrase

• Like 2

I am no expert, for me the D-Max is the one to buy in the past I have had a Vigo, both at the same time the D-Max is far superior I sold the vigo to me it was not very good at road holding the back end was all over the place in wet weather, both of them were 4X4 

4 hours ago, ChipButty said:

I am no expert, for me the D-Max is the one to buy in the past I have had a Vigo, both at the same time the D-Max is far superior I sold the vigo to me it was not very good at road holding the back end was all over the place in wet weather, both of them were 4X4 

I loved my 4x4 Vigo auto, I can't see how folk have problems with handling, I had it for 11.5 years....

On 12/30/2020 at 1:31 AM, bodga said:

Nonsense, I got 300k  off a  Chevrolet the second time and 100k  off  one the first  time before they decided to quit  Thailand, Also I see  Ford  discount too

Yeah... but they were both Chevy's [insert roll-eyes emoticon here]

I have had back-to-back Rangers and yes, the dealers did knock off the 'extra' xx,000 baht on the sticker price. That's why the manufacturer tacks on the 'extra' xx,000 so the dealer can knock it off so you think they're giving you a good deal.

I did get a really good deal on the trade-in but that was after I brought a third-party to the dealership who wanted my 3 year-old pickup and was willing to pay 70,000 more than the 'best price' the sales lady could get from a tent guy she regularly deals with. I will admit her commitment was excellent, almost like a US car salesman I dealt with once in her tenacity and willingness to wheel and deal and get you in that new car.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2020 at 8:20 PM, NanLaew said:

Yeah... but they were both Chevy's [insert roll-eyes emoticon here]

I have had back-to-back Rangers and yes, the dealers did knock off the 'extra' xx,000 baht on the sticker price. That's why the manufacturer tacks on the 'extra' xx,000 so the dealer can knock it off so you think they're giving you a good deal.

I did get a really good deal on the trade-in but that was after I brought a third-party to the dealership who wanted my 3 year-old pickup and was willing to pay 70,000 more than the 'best price' the sales lady could get from a tent guy she regularly deals with. I will admit her commitment was excellent, almost like a US car salesman I dealt with once in her tenacity and willingness to wheel and deal and get you in that new car.

u said .................

"Angling for a discount with a cash purchase or waiting for end of model year discounts are pretty much unknown phenomena here"

Doesnt  matter what brand I bought it IS  clearly  possible to get discounts.

On 12/30/2020 at 1:31 AM, bodga said:

Yes but that that hardly counts as Chevrolet has packed up shop and left and they wanted to clear stock quickly!

As a side note, the old Chevrolet showroom/workshop in Pattaya have been taken over by Ford, the one on Sukhumvit near north Pattaya road.

• Like 1