New M6 motorway to Korat - when is it opening?

Andyfez

3 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Late 2022.

Thanks - I'm disappointed if that's the case.

The B Post back in June ran a headline 'Korat motorway to open by year’s end'

But didn't say it wasn't 2020......

It looks finished for some time around Lam Takong. Maybe they'll open parts of it sooner?

250 baht end to end sounds OK to avoid those trucks.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It runs within 500m of my house - thankfully not elevated there or it would deafen me.  The authorities stated that they would open some sections toll free this year when they were finished - it hasn't happened as far as I know.  Last time I was home in March the lights were on every night up at the Lam Takhong section and the lines were painted but still not in use.

According to my Mrs, there are some inverstigations going on into corruption which has bought some work to a grinding halt.  I just hope they haven't used sub standard concrete on the elevated sections - like in the corruption scandal at Suvarnabhumi - you wouldn't want those stanchions cracking.

I never did find out exactly where the road starts - I know its Bang Pa In but I believe its at the junction of highway 1 and highway 9 - there was certainly some major work going on there last time I drove past. Can anyone confirm that?

2 hours ago, arick said:

It's running west of korat around 16km I drive past it every week slip roads are almost done. You will exist and then take the 205 into korat. They are also widening 205 now. 

The Pak Chong section isn't elevated because it doesn't follow the highway 2 so there's no need for elevation. Its at ground level approaching Pak Chong (from the West), crosses over Thananrat Road and continues at ground level well past Pak Chong. It isn't elevated until its gets almost to Lam Takhong.  The section East of Thanarat was concreted and left ages ago whilst they spent 2 years (I kid you not) constructing the bridge over Thanarat - some kind of cock up with the design that meant the bridge sections had to be cast on site rather than at the factory like the rest of it was.

When I was home in March the section West of Thanarat didn't look to have been started and that's where the service centre will be.

There is a section that can't be seen from anywhere so its impossible to know if its even been started. That's where the elevated section at Saraburi disappears and the road goes off across country towards Pak Chong.  I believe that section is also at ground level as again, it doesn't follow highway 2 so it shouldn't take that long - but someone mentioned a tunnel, no idea on that either.

I think 2022 is probably about right - the original date was late 2019 but I never believed that.

18 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

There are stretches where the road doesn’t even exist yet. Much of it is elevated around Saraburi, Pakchong and Khao Yai and the pillars aren’t even up yet. Perhaps it will open in stages.

The Pak Chong section isn't elevated because it doesn't follow the highway 2 so there's no need for elevation. Its at ground level approaching Pak Chong (from the West), crosses over Thananrat Road and continues at ground level well past Pak Chong. It isn't elevated until its gets almost to Lam Takhong.  The section East of Thanarat was concreted and left ages ago whilst they spent 2 years (I kid you not) constructing the bridge over Thanarat - some kind of cock up with the design that meant the bridge sections had to be cast on site rather than at the factory like the rest of it was.

When I was home in March the section West of Thanarat didn't look to have been started and that's where the service centre will be.

There is a section that can't be seen from anywhere so its impossible to know if its even been started. That's where the elevated section at Saraburi disappears and the road goes off across country towards Pak Chong.  I believe that section is also at ground level as again, it doesn't follow highway 2 so it shouldn't take that long - but someone mentioned a tunnel, no idea on that either.

I think 2022 is probably about right - the original date was late 2019 but I never believed that