When & Where Covic19 Vaccine in Thailand

chopper23

The same Astra-Zentaca/Oxford vaccine that Thailand contracted to purchase as soon as it was in production is being rolled out in the UK.  So it does beg the question - why not here?

From what I read Thailand purchase the AZ/Oxford

vaccines once in they were in production and well as purchasing the rights for the technology transfer to manufacture their own. 

One set of rules for First World countries?.
A different set of rules for Third World and Developing?

Makes one wonder.  Perhaps someone can provide first-hand knowledge as why there is a difference between the UK and Thailand.

• Like 1

Some general info on vaccine 'progress' in Thailand: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailand-has-three-runners-in-global-race-for-covid-19-vaccine/.

As noted above the amount of doses ordered from Siam Bio Science (which will be a licensed AstraZeneca vaccine) so far is only sufficient for ca. 13 million people (26 million doses if two shots are administered) and while some initial doses should be supplied from the UK (June 2021?) there is no clear time frame for delivery of these SBS-produced shots. Article further claims that 7 out of 10 locally produced vaccines have failed in animal tests. The remaining three still have quite some time to go before human trials start.   

• Thanks 2

It's already available in Singapore, but might mean 2x14 days quarantine. So not worth.

Astrazeneca vax in thailand will be $7.68, in europe is available now for $2.18. 
Thai govermnent pays 6bln thb/$200 mln for 26 mln doses. Will be made by siam bio science, belonging to Crown Property Bureau.

Questions why so expensive and why so late (some 6 months delay) can't be asked in a present political climate in thailand, starting from pizza paragraph. 

Answer I would start with corruption trail.

Personally I would not rush for a shot of any available vax. I would wait until there is a choice between minimum 3 different vax.
Sometimes there might be one of Chinese ones, right now shipped in large quantities to Western Java and distributed from the beginning of January.
Malaysia is buying the russian one, all together with the chinese and other vax for $500mln they would cover 83% of their population.

In the meantime I would rather stock up on covid medicines. 

Edited by internationalism
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As

22 minutes ago, internationalism said:

It's already available in Singapore, but might mean 2x14 days quarantine. So not worth.

Astrazeneca vax in thailand will be $7.68, in europe is available now for $2.18. 
Thai govermnent pays 6bln thb/$200 mln for 26 mln doses. Will be made by siam bio science, belonging to Crown Property Bureau.

Questions why so expensive and why so late (some 6 months delay) can't be asked in a present political climate in thailand, starting from pizza paragraph. 

Answer I would start with corruption trail.

Personally I would not rush for a shot of any available vax. I would wait until there is a choice between minimum 3 different vax.
Sometimes there might be one of Chinese ones, right now shipped in large quantities to Western Java and distributed from the beginning of January.
Malaysia is buying the russian one, all together with the chinese and other vax for $500mln they would cover 83% of their population.

In the meantime I would rather stock up on covid medicines. 

Just stating the obvious be it seems that so much everything "Thai" needs to somehow benefit a subset of the population at the expense of the rest of the population.   Sad.

Like you, in the meantime, along with other normal supplies I have prepped, I've stocked up with an anti-malarial medicine (in case I get malaria), a special antibiotic (in case I get an infection) and zinc (because zinc is just a good mineral for the male reproductive system.  And I have enough for the entire family. 

• Like 1

there is also anti-viral Tamiflu, used by thai doctors in January in cocktail of other anti-virals to successfully treat several patients. 

Also anti-parasitic ivermectin (can be used as malaria prophylaxis) , but also has anti-viral properties (used experimentally for dengue, zika, chikungunya and other tropical).

Another anti-parasitic niclosamide is promising and at clinical trials

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, internationalism said:

there is also anti-viral Tamiflu, used by thai doctors in January in cocktail of other anti-virals to successfully treat several patients. 

Also anti-parasitic ivermectin (can be used as malaria prophylaxis) , but also has anti-viral properties (used experimentally for dengue, zika, chikungunya and other tropical).

Another anti-parasitic niclosamide is promising and at clinical trials

Yes treatment is key if a vaccine is not available and will help get countries through with minimum deaths. India used them successfully. The US(I am here unfortunately) is not treating and we are 12th on the list of deaths per pop. India is not locked down and claims herd possibly reached as their cases are reducing because of treatment and prophylaxis of their population. Unfortunately I feel the US is not using it and push a vaccine for political reasons and greed.

QUESTION: Is Ivermectin and/or hydroxycloroquine available in Thailand now? I am in the works of selling everything and plan to retire in Thailand in March and am wondering if I can get better access than I can here in the US.

Thanks in advance

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, connda said:

Like you, in the meantime, along with other normal supplies I have prepped, I've stocked up with an anti-malarial medicine (in case I get malaria), a special antibiotic (in case I get an infection) and zinc (because zinc is just a good mineral for the male reproductive system.  And I have enough for the entire family. 

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6935a4.htm

Sept. 4, 2020 from the U.S. CDC:

"Hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine are approved to treat autoimmune diseases and to prevent and treat malaria. Earlier this year, they were widely reported to be of potential benefit in the prevention and treatment of COVID-19; however, current data indicate that the potential benefits of these drugs do not outweigh their risks."

"Following reports of cardiac and other adverse events in patients receiving hydroxychloroquine for COVID-19 (2), on April 24, 2020, FDA issued a caution against its use and on June 15, rescinded its EUA for hydroxychloroquine from the Strategic National Stockpile.§ Following the FDA’s issuance of caution and EUA rescindment, on May 12 and June 16, the federal COVID-19 Treatment Guidelines Panel issued recommendations against the use of hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine to treat COVID-19; the panel also noted that at that time no medication could be recommended for COVID-19 pre- or postexposure prophylaxis outside the setting of a clinical trial."

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chopper23 said:

I am a American I wonder if I can fly back home to any airport get vaccinated in the airport then fly back to Thailand.(hehehaha) my evil laugh.

Even if you could -- and I don't think you could since the limited vaccine stocks in the U.S. supposedly are being reserved for now for priority recipients like elderly and health care workers -- you'd be facing an enforced 2 week ASQ quarantine upon returning to Thailand.

11 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6935a4.htm

Sept. 4, 2020 from the U.S. CDC:

"Hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine are approved to treat autoimmune diseases and to prevent and treat malaria. Earlier this year, they were widely reported to be of potential benefit in the prevention and treatment of COVID-19; however, current data indicate that the potential benefits of these drugs do not outweigh their risks."

"Following reports of cardiac and other adverse events in patients receiving hydroxychloroquine for COVID-19 (2), on April 24, 2020, FDA issued a caution against its use and on June 15, rescinded its EUA for hydroxychloroquine from the Strategic National Stockpile.§ Following the FDA’s issuance of caution and EUA rescindment, on May 12 and June 16, the federal COVID-19 Treatment Guidelines Panel issued recommendations against the use of hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine to treat COVID-19; the panel also noted that at that time no medication could be recommended for COVID-19 pre- or postexposure prophylaxis outside the setting of a clinical trial."

To me this means nothing because the rest of the world that is using these are succeeding. The reason the US CDC doesn't want a treatment is because if there is a treatment then emergency use can not be given to a vaccine. Like I said before, there is a reason the US is at the top of the deaths list and India is way down that list and it is because they are treating with these antivirals. 

My question is still the same, can we buy these in Thailand?

I have taken hydroxy before for months in the Army. We all did on deployments and there were no problems. If you look into the statements by the CDC it is referencing over the recommended dose as well. 

I will add, I know people who had the virus and were in very bad condition and found a doctor to prescribe the hydroxy and felt better within 24 hours of taking it.

• Like 1

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-12-29/u-s-vaccinations-at-200-000-a-day-run-far-short-of-warp-speed

U.S. Vaccinations at 200,000 a Day Run Far Short of ‘Warp Speed’

The nation won’t meet its goal of 20 million doses by year-end

"The U.S. is vaccinating an average of only 200,000 people a day against Covid-19, and many states have used just a small percentage of the shipments sent to them this month.

Data gathered from states and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services show that while Operation Warp Speed has distributed millions of doses, some states have been slow to get them into people’s arms. The nation almost certainly won't hit the Trump administration’s goal of 20 million vaccinations by year-end, according to a Bloomberg News analysis. 

The CDC’s latest tally, as of Monday, showed that despite the distribution of 11.45 million doses from Moderna Inc., and from Pfizer Inc. and BioNTech SE, just 2.13 million people had gotten shots. That represents about 20% of early allocations. Oregon has used only 15.3% of its supply, Ohio 14.3% and Maryland 10.9%. "

10 minutes ago, ShannanTravels said:

To me this means nothing because the rest of the world that is using these are succeeding.

There's a big difference between anecdotal reports and scientifically conducted clinical trials.

If you don't like the U.S. CDC, then maybe you'll like the WHO and its international clinical trial better:

https://www.who.int/news/item/15-10-2020-solidarity-therapeutics-trial-produces-conclusive-evidence-on-the-effectiveness-of-repurposed-drugs-for-covid-19-in-record-time

Oct. 15, 2020

"Interim results from the Solidarity Therapeutics Trial, coordinated by the World Health Organization, indicate that remdesivir, hydroxychloroquine, lopinavir/ritonavir and interferon regimens appeared to have little or no effect on 28-day mortality or the in-hospital course of COVID-19 among hospitalized patients.

The study, which spans more than 30 countries, looked at the effects of these treatments on overall mortality, initiation of ventilation, and duration of hospital stay in hospitalized patients. Other uses of the drugs, for example in treatment of patients in the community or for prevention, would have to be examined using different trials."

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

There's a big difference between anecdotal reports and scientifically conducted clinical trials.

If you don't like the U.S. CDC, then maybe you'll like the WHO and its international clinical trial better:

https://www.who.int/news/item/15-10-2020-solidarity-therapeutics-trial-produces-conclusive-evidence-on-the-effectiveness-of-repurposed-drugs-for-covid-19-in-record-time

Oct. 15, 2020

"Interim results from the Solidarity Therapeutics Trial, coordinated by the World Health Organization, indicate that remdesivir, hydroxychloroquine, lopinavir/ritonavir and interferon regimens appeared to have little or no effect on 28-day mortality or the in-hospital course of COVID-19 among hospitalized patients.

The study, which spans more than 30 countries, looked at the effects of these treatments on overall mortality, initiation of ventilation, and duration of hospital stay in hospitalized patients. Other uses of the drugs, for example in treatment of patients in the community or for prevention, would have to be examined using different trials."

I know you are trying to be helpful. You have to read this. There have been studies by doctors that have data about this being used for prevention and it works. The problem is they don't want to see that data. So they put out a statement here and is read just like you read it and point to it not working. And it doesn't work if you get so sick you are in the hospital. It works if you take it before or even when you first get the virus it helps.

Still no answer to my question.

• Confused 1

56 minutes ago, ShannanTravels said:

QUESTION: Is Ivermectin and/or hydroxycloroquine available in Thailand now? I am in the works of selling everything and plan to retire in Thailand in March and am wondering if I can get better access than I can here in the US.

Thanks in advance

yes, ivermectin is still available, but difficult to find and expensive. Active ingredient is imported from india, and they are withholding their stock.

in thailand don't have hydroxy, only chloro and quinine. All those are very similar compounds. Several other antimalarial medicines also went through early

clinical trials and are promising 

• Thanks 1

I would be interested to hear from the Thai government a bit more about where they are in transferring the manufacturing process from AZ.  Have they received all the production details from AZ?  Have they been having regular meetings with their AZ counterparts?  Have materials been transferred? What processes have been validated so far? What do they expect their monthly output to be?  When will the first doses be ready?  

What about the vaccines that have been statistically proven to work with a high level of efficacy?  Are there plans to secure doses of those either in the meantime or in case the AZ vaccine doesn't work as well?

I like to think that someone with some level of competence and experience is managing this. Or at least is wise enough to bring in experts who do have experience.

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Thailand is part of the COVAX agreement. 

While COVAX is better than nothing, compared to rich nations it's pretty shabby.

Apparently the specific details about any nations deals with COVAX are not meant to be transparent.

Ugh. 

Expanding on this.

Depressing information.

South Africa and Thailand -- both in COVAX.

For Covid-19 Vaccines, Some Are Too Rich — and Too Poor

Global inequality is shaping which countries get vaccines first. In South Africa, people’s best chance for vaccines anytime soon is to join an experimental trial.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/28/world/africa/covid-19-vaccines-south-africa.html

9 hours ago, internationalism said:

An expert on TV said that a single dose 'conferred substantial protection', and was recommending dosing as many people as possible with a single dose, with the second dose up to 3 months later. Forgot who & which vaccine, sorry...

I (non-expert!) suspect that a dose of vaccine A, followed by vaccine B should work about as well: most of the vaccines target a single protein (spike protein) and presumably include/produce exposed segments of that which trigger production of similar antibodies. (In fact, because some of the vaccine vectors, eg the adenovirus in the Astrazeneca vaccine, trigger immune responses themselves, it seems possible that using vaccines with different vectors would deliver more antigen/antigen-generating mRNA.)

Unless/until major differences in the safety profile are identified, it seems safest to take whatever becomes available locally (ideally has a few extra hundred k field doses, just to be sure no safety issues were overlooked).

Why all the fuss? Thailand proved, the first time round that it can beat this virus and I can think of no reason why they cannot beat it again this time. The country is very well prepared.

By all means let's have the virus available ASAP and get the front line workers protected first. They are the most important one to vaccinate. Then roll it out to the urban areas where clusters are most likely to spread. The rural areas have already proved they can deal with it.

But IMO, beating the virus, using the already well proven tactics should be the first priority.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1