Medical expert urges Thais to stay home on New Year’s Eve

snoop1130

14 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

Medical expert urges Thais to stay home on New Year’s Eve

By The Nation

800_9da542fda1dfb6b.jpg

The dean of Mahidol University's Faculty of Medicine has urged people to celebrate the New Year countdown at home, to halt the surge of Covid-19 in Thailand.

Professor Prasit Watanapa said a second wave of the virus had spread to 75 countries around the world. And in 88 per cent of those countries it was more severe than the first wave, he said, quoting Thira Woratanarat, an assistant professor at Chulalongkorn University’s Faculty of Medicine.

"To avoid risk of infection and contain the spread of Covid-19, I would like to advise people to celebrate the countdown with their relatives at home," Prasit said. "People can use teleconferencing applications to celebrate the festivities with their relatives and friends as well," he added.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30400494

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-12-30

NO Chance of Thai's Doing That !!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mavideol said:

bad news for you my friend, it's amazing the quantity of people out and about on the roads, shops and at the beaches as well, they behave like there is no virus at all

Yes i agree, the volume of traffic is the same as any new year, no one has paid any attention to the advice.

Look out for mid Jan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

How true, my son's in laws on the road right now (in a pick up truck), 5 started the trip from BKK, picking up 2 more  in Korat, 3 more in Sukothai and 4 more in Tak, all headed for son's house in Chiang Mai. Son tried to convince them to all stay at home, they refuse to listen.

This morning son and his wife have moved themselves and 3 kids to a friends cheap hotel in Hang Dong, also moved the hidden house front door key and the family mocy key and plan to not answer any calls from the NY tour gang.

Not the first time they have done this (moved to hotel/not answer their phones), the same thing has happened several times within the last several years for songkran and family birthdays.  

They don't want 14 or whatever slobs taking over the house, TV blaring at full volume (and on a couple of occasions they moved the big TV out of it's cabinet and sat it on the living room floor on collapsing beer boxes so they could all see the screen better). Son stopped that by blindly screwing the TV legs to the cabinet, and if they keep turning the volume up son turns it down and hides the remote.  

For my son even worse they come then decide, probably drunk, to do a few laps around the CM moat etc., and they take 1 or 2 of son's kids with them without telling son or his wife. 

Son and his wife know they will get abused when eventually there is contact (after the gang have all departed CM), they will just ignore the abuse, all happened before.

At least your son has the b***s to do something about it, i'm sure many people find themselves put in this situation and just grin and bear it.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

At least your son has the b***s to do something about it, i'm sure many people find themselves put in this situation and just grin and bear it.

My son always discusses things with his wife, a habit he's copied from his observations and his inclusion in years of family discussions; my Thai wife, me and our son from his early teens.

My son and his wife agree what's best for their young family and they stand their ground.

This all started when he and his wife insisted they would make all decisions about their wedding . They told his wife's older full on lady boy brother to cancel the order he had made for a massive amount of expensive flowers, about 40,000Baht.

Lady boy insisted he couldn't cancel, son responded well I'm not giving you one Baht for any flowers so up to you. Also mentioned by son's fiancée 'I have already ordered and paid for the flowers I want, about 800Baht. And she added 'there's no further discussion on this'.

Most times son & his wife now explain their decisions to their kids. My son follows his observations as a kid, many times he heard me or my wife say 'there's a lesson here for xxxx' (my son) and he was included in discussions with simple explanations of why we were making certain decisions, etc.

As he got older he was usually asked (my wife or myself) 'what do you think?' And we always gave him time to think a bit and to verbalize his thoughts. (Truth be known all copied from my observations of my mother and fathers' behaviors and attitudes.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

My son always discusses things with his wife, a habit he's copied from his observations and his inclusion in years of family discussions; my Thai wife, me and our son from his early teens.

My son and his wife agree what's best for their young family and they stand their ground.

This all started when he and his wife insisted they would make all decisions about their wedding . They told his wife's older full on lady boy brother to cancel the order he had made for a massive amount of expensive flowers, about 40,000Baht.

Lady boy insisted he couldn't cancel, son responded well I'm not giving you one Baht for any flowers so up to you. Also mentioned by son's fiancée 'I have already ordered and paid for the flowers I want, about 800Baht. And she added 'there's no further discussion on this'.

Most times son & his wife now explain their decisions to their kids. My son follows his observations as a kid, many times he heard me or my wife say 'there's a lesson here for xxxx' (my son) and he was included in discussions with simple explanations of why we were making certain decisions, etc.

As he got older he was usually asked (my wife or myself) 'what do you think?' And we always gave him time to think a bit and to verbalize his thoughts. (Truth be known all copied from my observations of my mother and fathers' behaviors and attitudes.)

Good for him

Obvious last night by the fireworks, music etc a lot of people were partying.

I can't decide if they just don't watch news, read newspapers etc and are blissfully unaware. Or, they don't believe that Covid is something they could take home to their elders, or, they just don't care about others in any way at all.

47 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Obvious last night by the fireworks, music etc a lot of people were partying.

I can't decide if they just don't watch news, read newspapers etc and are blissfully unaware. Or, they don't believe that Covid is something they could take home to their elders, or, they just don't care about others in any way at all.

I would suggest they just don't care.