What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2021)

CharlieH

On 10/27/2021 at 6:45 AM, Skallywag said:

Just downloaded first 2 episodes of The Outlaws 2021 because Christopher Walken is in it.  1337x  eztv

BBC series with all Brits other than Chris AFAIK.

Funny, good, and interesting to me

Looks like a remake of Misfits without the superpowers. Hopefully this one is just as good.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1548850

Edited by gargamon
  • Like 1

I saw a video where Jerry Seinfeld mentioned that Sebastian Maniscalco is the comedian that most reminds him of himself, and that he thinks he would be like that if he was Italian (American). So I've started to sample Maniscalco's stuff (videos and specials). My first impression is that I get the similarity but that Maniscalco's style is much more physical. I'm not there yet on deciding if I like his work or not. Also I wonder if his over the top Italian American stereotypical way of behind is the real him or just a part of his act (I find it somewhat grating). With Jerry performing, he seems the real Jerry. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

Here’s a couple that you should probably miss imho.

People just do nothing: Big in Japan ( 2021) 

While I quite liked the series I think they should have quit while they were ahead .

Basically some chavs running a pirate radio station in Brentford with dreams of stardom. While this works on their home turf the idea that they could get a chance to make it “ Big in Japan “ is absurd and the stereotypical humour is cringeworthy at best.

Starts off kinda lame and goes downhill from there.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11376010/

Apache Junction ( 2021 )

I think I mistakenly started to watch this thinking it was something called The English ( due out soon ) but quickly realised my mistake.

While I usually like movies or series from this era ( late 1800’s USA) this one started off badly. Nothing looked right, the clothing, the props and the actors themselves all seemed to be out of place. 
More like a daytime soap than an action western movie !!

A quick glance at imdb ratings confirmed my error.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13924672/

• Like 1

On 10/4/2021 at 9:33 PM, Jingthing said:

The Act.

A binge worthy eight part series, I can imagine if you like Mommy Dearest and A Streetcar Named Desire, you'll like this.

I will provide a woke sensitive alert though for those that judge shows on such things. The main character's neighbor, a strong white woman without a man is often seen hanging out with a jolly black woman so there is an unconfirmed hint of lesbiania and interracial lesbiana at that. There is a super competent South Asian doctor as well. As it's based on a true story, I will leave it to others to do the research about whether or not the true life doctor was an ethnic minority or if the casting was done to check off the boxes.

Are there any smokers?   Trying to hook people?

Are there any fat people ? Pushing junk food?

On 10/27/2021 at 6:52 AM, Will27 said:

Some good ones there.

The Sopranos is a strange omission.

I don't think I saw it on the list at all.

Out of scope rather than omitted, Sopranos started in 1999, it seems that they were looking at shows that first aired in 2000 or later.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/19/2021 at 5:51 PM, xylophone said:

Well I watched Dune last night and was suitably unimpressed with it.

Rebecca Ferguson playing the lead lady seemed to mumble her lines early on in the piece, and no matter what I tried, they didn't get much better and the download I had was top quality, as is my sound system?

Plenty of special effects, but nothing to grip me, apart from the fact that I am as mystified with the goings-on in this one, as I was with the original when I watched it a few times.

Will not be eagerly waiting for the next one!

Agreed.  I had a lot of trouble following it which wasnt helped by the fact that I was forever turning the volume up to hear the speech (subs very small) but down whenever there was action or music.  Maybe I chose a bad source but I often find this lately.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WorriedNoodle said:

This looks interesting - I have it waiting, but will wait until the wife goes to bed.  She’s watching army of thieves at the moment. 

Have you seen Rams from 2015? Another Icelandic movie.

Deadwind  season 3 is back tomorrow 

• Thanks 2

I'd forgotten all about this scandal.

Panama Papers.
On fmovies and also streamable on Hulu and Amazon.
"An explosive, global story with immediate and ongoing consequences that strikes at the heart of the biggest themes of our times; income inequality, whistleblowers, and corrupt power-brokers manipulating world governments and big business."

On fmovies and Netflix.
The Laundromat.
If you want a 'Dummies Guide to Tax Evasion' in a movie format then this is for you.
Based on the Panama Papers scandal.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, recom273 said:

This looks interesting - I have it waiting, but will wait until the wife goes to bed.  She’s watching army of thieves at the moment. 

Have you seen Rams from 2015? Another Icelandic movie.

Deadwind  season 3 is back tomorrow 

Thanks @recom273 downloading Deadwind (Karppi) Seasons 1 & 2 now.

Edited by Mutt Daeng

On 10/23/2021 at 11:37 AM, bert bloggs said:

Just started watching the last episode of Grantchester, about a country vicar who helps a copper Robson Green solve crimes ,just switched off  its just gone so " woke" its the 1950s in the country,now its got a black trainee vicar , an ex gay vicar in prison and  just now a black maid opens the door to a country house and the rich white guy there is married to a black woman ,just changing history ,why do they do it? 

I know!!

Because TV and movies are fiction, not historical dissertations?

Do I get a prize?

• Like 1

I watched the new Hugh Jackman film last night, "Reminiscence", which also starred the mumbler, Rebecca Ferguson, and IMO it was a mishmash of a film which wasn't that easy to follow, and I was tempted to switch it off about half way through, but as I had nothing else to watch, I saw it out – – regretfully as its time I will never get back in my life.

I do mourn the dearth of good films these days, and as I said previously I didn't think "Dune" really hit the mark, but thankfully folks on here have recommended a few goodies, and I really liked, "Old Henry" and particularly "Touching the Void", which although a few years old, was quite brilliant.

Back on to Hugh Jackman, and I really did like, "The Greatest Showman" although I don't usually like "musical" types of movies and really don't watch them, but this was an exception.

So my go to place for movie recommendations is this thread. Thank you to all the contributors!

12 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I do mourn the dearth of good films these days, and as I said previously I didn't think "Dune" really hit the mark,

Have you seen the "original" 1984 version? Spoiler Alert it will ruin the next 2022 half of the new one.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Have you seen the "original" 1984 version? Spoiler Alert it will ruin the next 2022 half of the new one.

Yes I did thanks VN and I thought it was good, if a little hard to follow, but the new one really didn't do it for me I'm afraid. BUT I will still give part 2 a go when it is out. Thanks.

On 10/22/2021 at 10:37 PM, bert bloggs said:

Just started watching the last episode of Grantchester, about a country vicar who helps a copper Robson Green solve crimes ,just switched off  its just gone so " woke" its the 1950s in the country,now its got a black trainee vicar , an ex gay vicar in prison and  just now a black maid opens the door to a country house and the rich white guy there is married to a black woman ,just changing history ,why do they do it? 

It is really simple. Please try to understand and stop crying about it.

The Oscar's have implemented "quotas" of what types of people need to be involved in movies before they will be considered for awards. Likely there are similar rules for TV shows.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/reboot/yes-hollywood-has-created-diversity-quotas-oscars-168782

The requirements are extensive, though they can be achieved through a variety of means.

One lead or significant actor in the movie must be from a list of “underrepresented” racial or ethnic groups.

Or at least 30% of secondary actors must be from a list of “underrepresented” groups, including women, “LGBTQ+,” or disabled people.

Or the storyline of the movie must be about one of the listed underrepresented groups.

The requirements also include a diversity quota for department heads and technical jobs relating to the movie, and an “audience development” requirement, again geared toward that list of underrepresented groups.

22 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

So can we have a film where Nelson Mandela is white and married to a transvestite?

Well tv and movies are fiction,can i have a prize?

I imagine it was done tongue in cheek, but the new series of Curb Your Enthusiasm has a white guy, a black guy, a butch lesbian and an obese woman in a wheelchair.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

I imagine it was done tongue in cheek, but the new series of Curb Your Enthusiasm has a white guy, a black guy, a butch lesbian and an obese woman in a wheelchair.

Might not seem particularly strange, but they are all sitting next to each other, and it struck me as the kind of thing Larry David would do for a laugh.

• Like 1