What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2021)

CharlieH

The Long Call---- 4 part Crime thriller  2 episodes out now--Britbox special (which is a name they are now giving to programs , made by BBC & ITV together)

Plot-----Matthew and the team continue to hunt for clues about the victim, and uncover secrets from the past and theories who might have motive to murder. Connections are made between the victim and the Brethren community when it's uncovered that the victim had started attending meetings, while, closer to home, Matthew and his mother look to build bridges after years of silence.

3 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

This may give some inspiration for things to watch... https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20211015-the-100-greatest-tv-series-of-the-21st-century 

Top 10 (Have to confess that I haven't seen the 1st 2 even though I've only ever seen positive recommendations for them)... 

1          The Wire (2002-2008)
2          Mad Men (2007-2015)
3          Breaking Bad (2008-2013)
4          Fleabag (2016-2019)
5          Game of Thrones (2011-2019)
6          I May Destroy You (2020)
7          The Leftovers (2014-2017)
8          The Americans (2013-2018)
9          The Office (UK) (2001-2003)
10        Succession (2018-)

Vikings is also good.

• Like 2

Shetland  ---     Season 6   BBC Crime---2 episodes available now --6 episodes

If you haven't seen Shetland --its a well acted crime series IMO......you can still get the older series, (pirates)  but , like Vera etc it is stand alone .

Reviews

Great television viewing
Douglas Henshall as Det. Insp. Jimmy Perez and the remote location of Shetland are the main attractions of this superb British drama. Perez is a man with a good heart who takes on each murder case as if the family survivors depend entirely on him. The murders do not have simple explanations and often involve a web of intrigue. Perez will hunt them down, whether its clan warfare in Shetland or a crime syndicate in Glasgow.

**NOTE--The Shetland Islands are located at the north of Scotland, 80km to the northeast of Orkney. They are closer to Norway than the UK, but remain part of the UK.

• Like 2

On 10/26/2021 at 5:49 PM, LosLobo said:

In these days of hyper politics and now seemingly a part of everything in everyday life, it is nice to have a break from it.

I find movies provide the perfect escape.

Is is really necessary to bring politics (that includes racism and diversity) into this forum.

IMO the producers are the ones bringing politics and wokism into movies. We are just commenting on the movies.

• Haha 1

On 10/26/2021 at 12:17 PM, xylophone said:

Started to watch episode one of six of, "Top of the Lake" last night and thoroughly enjoyed it and will be looking forward to watch another episode tonight, or maybe two!

Directed by Jane Campion and there were two parts to the series, but the second part/series was panned, however the first series had great reviews.

Campion really does manage to get a handle on the bogan and sometime misogynistic aspects of the New Zealand male/life, so the series looks very realistic and this entirely shot in the South Island of New Zealand, so the scenery is beautiful and different.

Series 1 was great. Series 2 I gave up on which put me off series 3.

'Outrageous Fortune' is an excellent NZ comedy/crime caper

Edited by The Hammer2021
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

BBC List excludes Person of Interest, MI6 & Spartacus and puts the legendary 24, House and Band of Brothers near the end. Found The Wire quite unwatchable with excessive slang and depressing.

The 'slang' was perfectly easy to understand as it was in context. As for those words that were arcane that was the whole point. The street slang changes on a daily basis as was demonstrated in the story line. MI 6 or MI 5 AKA Spooks?

Hammer: yeah, originally “Spooks” in UK and “MI6” in US. 

Spook means Spy in all english- speaking countries but also in US a derogatory racial term of course. Recall that Hot Chocolate song about inter- racial marriage, “ … no spooks in this house” …..

Appreciate the Slang explanation. Little time for any forms of Reduced Alternative English like Jive or Pidgin or even Cockney but then I only tend to like Original Products, like Coke for example!

Personally I also go for uplifting inspiring TV / Movies so tend to avoid the Crime genre unless truly great like Bogart movies or The Godfather (or The Wire) or Peaky Blinders……..

12 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

This may give some inspiration for things to watch... https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20211015-the-100-greatest-tv-series-of-the-21st-century 

Top 10 (Have to confess that I haven't seen the 1st 2 even though I've only ever seen positive recommendations for them)... 

1          The Wire (2002-2008)
2          Mad Men (2007-2015)
3          Breaking Bad (2008-2013)
4          Fleabag (2016-2019)
5          Game of Thrones (2011-2019)
6          I May Destroy You (2020)
7          The Leftovers (2014-2017)
8          The Americans (2013-2018)
9          The Office (UK) (2001-2003)
10        Succession (2018-)

The Americans doesn’t get mentioned often enough.

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

The Long Call

UK tv series, first 2 episodes out.

Set in very nice Devon countryside.

Note: may not be suitable for everyone, 2 guys kissing in the first 30 seconds, a Down's syndrome girl and a black policewoman.

I will not be watching that, disgusting that there is not a non binery and a transexual in it as well.

Before you know it they will have a white guy married to a white woman.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

Shetland  ---     Season 6   BBC Crime---2 episodes available now --6 episodes

If you haven't seen Shetland --its a well acted crime series IMO......you can still get the older series, (pirates)  but , like Vera etc it is stand alone .

Reviews

Great television viewing
Douglas Henshall as Det. Insp. Jimmy Perez and the remote location of Shetland are the main attractions of this superb British drama. Perez is a man with a good heart who takes on each murder case as if the family survivors depend entirely on him. The murders do not have simple explanations and often involve a web of intrigue. Perez will hunt them down, whether its clan warfare in Shetland or a crime syndicate in Glasgow.

**NOTE--The Shetland Islands are located at the north of Scotland, 80km to the northeast of Orkney. They are closer to Norway than the UK, but remain part of the UK.

Rewatching series one as we speak,great series.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

The Americans doesn’t get mentioned often enough.

I enjoyed the first few seasons, but to be honest as it progressed it was just more of the same to me, so I stopped watching it. Just my opinion of course. I thought Matthew Rhys was pretty good in Perry Mason though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mutt Daeng said:

I enjoyed the first few seasons, but to be honest as it progressed it was just more of the same to me, so I stopped watching it. Just my opinion of course. I thought Matthew Rhys was pretty good in Perry Mason though.

Your loss!

The Americans’ final season is one of the best ever made - Vox

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Just downloaded first 2 episodes of The Outlaws 2021 because Christopher Walken is in it.  1337x  eztv

BBC series with all Brits other than Chris AFAIK.

Funny, good, and interesting to me

Yup, liking this, fans of Stephen Merchant might like this:

Hello Ladies ( 2013-2014 )

tv series 8 episodes 

Merchant plays a gawky geeky Englishman (Stuart) trying to find the woman of his dreams in LA., but he has to fit in before he can even consider romance.

Very funny but also sad as Stuart finds the “ ladies “ are not quite ready for his

humour aka nervous sarcasm !

( apparently there’s Hello Ladies: The Movie also but I haven’t seen it ).

• Like 1

22 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

The Long Call---- 4 part Crime thriller  2 episodes out now--Britbox special (which is a name they are now giving to programs , made by BBC & ITV together)

Plot-----Matthew and the team continue to hunt for clues about the victim, and uncover secrets from the past and theories who might have motive to murder. Connections are made between the victim and the Brethren community when it's uncovered that the victim had started attending meetings, while, closer to home, Matthew and his mother look to build bridges after years of silence.

The frst 5 minutes was enough for me to decide to give it a miss. More woke nonsense pushed down our throats.