What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2021)

CharlieH

Now for something completely different.:biggrin:

Been watching some of the old TV from a previous life, can't beat some of the old series. Just finished this one:-

"Pie in the Sky"   With - Richard Griffiths -Maggie Steed - Malcolm Sinclair 

TV  -  5 Series  1994–1997

DI Crabbe retires from the police force after being shot and sets up his own restaurant. However, his ex-boss, Chief Constable Fisher constantly calls Crabbe back on duty.

This is a delightful series regarding a policeman with aspirations to be a chef. That delight is primarily due to the performances of Richard Griffiths and Maggie Steed. They make a great couple and seem to have good chemistry. They get on each other's nerves and yet there seems to be real intimacy between them. The supporting players are enjoyable, too, despite changes in casts from season to season.

637111775_PieintheSky.jpg.a09fb29eae51ae8e0f8a0df13e702f7e.jpg

All 5 series with subs available on Torrentday

Next I'm planning to watch:- Class Act  with Joanna Lumley

TV Series  1994–1995

:thumbsup:

On 7/16/2021 at 9:07 AM, Will27 said:

Dr Death

This new series has decent reviews.

RARBG

Summary: As patients entering the operating room of Dr. Christopher Duntsch for routine spinal surgeries start leaving permanently maimed or dead, two fellow surgeons and a young Assistant District Attorney set out to stop him.

Excellent thanks for posting, he could probably get a job in a Thai hospital, when he gets out!

• Haha 2

On 7/16/2021 at 5:15 PM, Andrew Dwyer said:

“ Three Girls “ (2017)

3 part drama from BBC based on the grooming of hundreds of teenage girls by   several middle age men, many with wives and families, in Rochdale, U.K..

Focuses on the mistakes made by the police in assessing the enormity of the situation.

A YouTube documentary called “ Betrayed Girls: The Rochdale Scandal” also available if you prefer a more factual account.

Either way , a harrowing story.

Excellent series, thanks.  Doesnt give much confidence in the justice system......as per usual.

Edited by ThaiFelix
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Daffy D said:

Been watching some of the old TV from a previous life, can't beat some of the old series. Just finished this one:-

DI Crabbe retires from the police force after being shot and sets up his own restaurant. However, his ex-boss, Chief Constable Fisher constantly calls Crabbe back on duty.

This is a delightful series regarding a policeman with aspirations to be a chef. That delight is primarily due to the performances of Richard Griffiths and Maggie Steed. They make a great couple and seem to have good chemistry. They get on each other's nerves and yet there seems to be real intimacy between them. The supporting players are enjoyable, too, despite changes in casts from season to season.

TV Series  1994–1995

Thanks for those Daffy.

I missed a lot of good U.K. stuff ( left in ‘95 ) and am catching up now .

Here are a couple on my radar :

3454ECBD-18A2-4B78-B289-A69970C3EDDC.thumb.jpeg.07e28c0da610abf1325b10f9096985ee.jpeg

B566213C-AE4E-4CED-8B2A-F5E788B85647.thumb.jpeg.490236e4645768c72647e9cf8f9d6c73.jpeg

Sometimes it is nice to get away from the big box office stuff and relax with some “ comfort tv “ accompanied by some comfort food of course !!

• Like 2

On 7/18/2021 at 1:55 PM, giddyup said:

His last flop, Midnight In The Switchgrass, he just puts in a 5 minute appearance for his paycheck, yet he gets headline billing. He pretty much gives the kiss of death to any movie he appears in now.

I got sucked into watching a few movies like that. They make a movie WITHOUT the big name headliner and put in some short unessential scene that features said headliner. It's just another scam IMO.

In the last Willis movie I watched, Death Wish, IMO he apparently didn't even try hard. Only in it for the money now, IMO.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, samtam said:

Last night could only manage about 10 minutes of Limbo:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9138170/

The first and second scenes were just long drawn out pointless pieces of self-indulgent cinematography. 

Compounded my ill-chosen list with Leverage: Redemption

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12197698/

which I abandoned after about 20 minutes, and then

Gossip Girl 2021

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12197698/

was as dire as I anticipated. I'm embarrassed to say I even considered it☺️

A few episodes of Mr Inbetween thereafter made up for a slew of bad choices. 

I unfortunately started "In Her Shoes" with Cameron Diaz. Gave up shortly into it. IMO her movie career seems to have entered a death spiral. Others may disagree, but how long since she made a "Something about Mary" or "The sweetest thing" that was really funny?

On 7/16/2021 at 8:16 PM, recom273 said:

and another interesting one that I watched the other day.

The sparks brothers

Thanks for recommending The Sparks Brothers, strange that I never heard of them before considering their careers were so long. Couldn't help but think the Talking Heads may have been influenced by the early stuff.

Edited by giddyup

On 7/18/2021 at 12:53 PM, Daffy D said:

TV Series  1994–1995

They shot it in Hemel Hempstead,used to pass there quite often.

But back to series dont know if anyone has mentioned iy but Bosch the detective series is great serie 8 has just come out ,just wstched it  went back to watch series 1 again .very good

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

But back to series dont know if anyone has mentioned iy but Bosch the detective series is great serie 8 has just come out ,just wstched it  went back to watch series 1 again .very good

Bosch: Do you mean series 7?

Edited by Mutt Daeng

Watched a quiet place part II on Sunday night. 

It’s an alien invasion movie, the plot follows from pt I - a family who have only survived the invasion due to their ability to hand sign to their dead kids.

Pretty standard fare but both are enjoyable, the appeal for me is that it has very little dialogue, so the wife can’t get three quarters through the movie and says she doesn’t understand because she missed a snippet of dialogue earlier.

• Like 1

Just started "The innocent"--(Spanish)-good acting, have to thank Netflix for dubbing it, because i really don't like reading Subs and trying to take in the acting etc, makes you wonder why the UK TV channels don't do it. Thailand does it for all those Chinese Soaps that my wife is hooked on--and probably 60% of the movies.

While I was looking for it, came across "The Innocents"  2018 TV series which is a Norwegian Sci Fi about a Girl who is a Shape Shifter, I must have missed it at the time--in English with Guy Pearce. The series was such a hit--that they made a movie (held up by Covid) comes out This August 2021--same name.

Anyone not happy with the new IMDB format, it seems that every time I want to ask something I get Join now page-- asked if the movie just mentioned was known under any other name--go through 3 pages then there is a button thats marked Answer--- Press -Join now on special.

They gave the movie I just mentioned nearly an 8 when it hasn't been released--so must be the opinion of people connected to it.

What format do most of you look at for feed back---???

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

<Snip>

Anyone not happy with the new IMDB format, it seems that every time I want to ask something I get Join now page-- asked if the movie just mentioned was known under any other name--go through 3 pages then there is a button thats marked Answer--- Press -Join now on special.

They gave the movie I just mentioned nearly an 8 when it hasn't been released--so must be the opinion of people connected to it.

</Snip>

@sanuk711 I agree with you regarding the new format of IMDB. It's pi$$-poor compared to the previous look & feel. I now have to view more pages to get the info I want, compared to the previous format which had most of the info on the first page displayed. Still persevering with it for now.

Edited by Mutt Daeng
Edit banned word
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

Some "Pie in the Sky" Trivia from SDMB:-

The exteriors of the building that were used as the restaurant are located at 64 High Street in the Old Town in Hemel Hempstead. It was originally a florist. The building became a minor tourist attraction during the series. It now houses the business of a doll house maker since the series ended in 1997. A nearby restaurant at 80 High Street renamed itself "Pie in the Sky" to capitalize on the program's popularity. It later changed its name to Les Amants. As of this writing, the original building that was portrayed as Pie in The Sky is still a doll manufacture and in business.

:biggrin:

Edited by Daffy D
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

Just started "The innocent"--(Spanish)-good acting, have to thank Netflix for dubbing it, because i really don't like reading Subs and trying to take in the acting etc, makes you wonder why the UK TV channels don't do it. Thailand does it for all those Chinese Soaps that my wife is hooked on--and probably 60% of the movies.

While I was looking for it, came across "The Innocents"  2018 TV series which is a Norwegian Sci Fi about a Girl who is a Shape Shifter, I must have missed it at the time--in English with Guy Pearce. The series was such a hit--that they made a movie (held up by Covid) comes out This August 2021--same name.

What format do most of you look at for feed back---???

The dubbing they do makes sure nobody speaks English with a normal accent. Same in places like Germany.

The Happy Face Killer: Mind of a Monster

Thought this one was pretty good.

RARBG

Summary: Detective Rick Buckner has to prove Keith Jesperson is the serial killer known as Happy Face Killer, guilty of murdering a woman in 1995, and has to make sure he is apprehended before he kills again.