Pattaya bars warned not to flout COVID-19 rules by masquerading as restaurants

rooster59

Pattaya bars warned not to flout COVID-19 rules by masquerading as restaurants

pattaya-city.jpg

Banglamung district officials tasked with limiting the spread of the coronavirus are warning bars in Pattaya not to flout rules limiting the sale of alcohol.

After Banglamung district, including Pattaya, was officially declared a ‘highly controlled zone’ on Wednesday, bars, nightclubs and restaurants were ordered to close until further notice.

By Friday, officials had given restaurants a last minute reprieve, allowing them to re-open and even serve alcohol to people ordering food.

However, officials have become aware of some beer bars trying to flout the new rules by masquerading as restaurants in order to serve alcohol to customers.

On Friday, officials reiterated the rules regarding restaurants and the sale of alcohol, which can only be ordered with food. 

Officials have said they will be on the lookout for beer bars which claim to be restaurants and warned owners they face severe penalties - 100,000 baht fine and up to 1 year in jail - for breaching the regulations.

The news comes after a beer bar in Jomtien was shut down by district officials who said it was claiming to be a restaurant in order to serve alcohol. 

Also on Friday, public health officials in Chonburi announced 51 new cases of COVID-19.

Of the new cases, 37 were in Banglamung district, while Sriracha (11), Ban Bueang (2) and Panat Nikhom (1) also reported cases. 

The total number of reported cases in Chonburi now stands at 211, 163 of which are in Banglamung district. 

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-01-02

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Oldie said:

We had this already last time. Some bars even applied for a restaurant license. Also people will gather in restaurants to drink alkohol. We also had this last time.

Correct, just posted same comment elsewhere.... IIRC it preceded a 'takeout only' order.  Came about the other way round this time but I expect something similar.....

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

On Friday, officials reiterated the rules regarding restaurants and the sale of alcohol, which can only be ordered with food. 

There was a rush of applications for restaurant licences during the first wave, with some places changing their name to help their claim they are now restaurants. I'm guessing this is going to go down the "substantial meal" route.

So is a scotch egg a substantial meal?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chang_paarp said:

There was a rush of applications for restaurant licences during the first wave, with some places changing their name to help their claim they are now restaurants. I'm guessing this is going to go down the "substantial meal" route.

So is a scotch egg a substantial meal?

No, but 2 would be for me

• Like 1

Just now, ChipButty said:

No, but 2 would be for me

Actually 2 would be OK for me also. I sometimes buy them for takeaway at a food kiosk outside JJ Villa, soi bukhao, near Lotus Express.

2 for 95 baht, sensible pricing for here. Also some other "fast food/comfort food" options

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PatOngo said:

If you can't buy alcohol at a bar, there MUST be something you can buy? ????

Dont worry, these Thai brainiacs will probably soon be banning any services that involve two people.meeting together.

Especially if 1 of the 2 people happen to be a foreigner.

But then again, that sort of thing doesnt exist in Thailand, right?

So i guess that would mean admitting that it exists first before they can ban it.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

to me what might be the better, easier was is to base their status on what/how they operated the business in the preceding day 60 or 90 day period.. that way they wouldn’t be able to make a last-minute pivot today to be a “restaurant” explicitly as a means to circumvent rules.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Do you mean like cornflakes with mayonnaise?

Eurgh that is not a happy pleasant image to form in one's mind .. 

Logically I would think kebabs would be an offering that bars could easily do .. 

And you can take out .. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, J Town said:
4 hours ago, pookondee said:

yes because the Covid is very fussy.

It will get you if drinking but not if you are eating food.

Its is also very fussy in my location also,

in bars and restaurants it is most likely to get you if standing up apparently but sitting down is ok.????

And Covid, a very polite virus, waits until after 10:00 p.m. to infect.

Can't educate pork either.

8 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:

Eurgh that is not a happy pleasant image to form in one's mind .. 

Logically I would think kebabs would be an offering that bars could easily do .. 

And you can take out .. 

Sort of like a Covid-to-go exercise?

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Prophetic typo!

An even better "typo" :-

The total number of reported cases in Chonburi now stands at 211, 163 of which are in Banglamung district. 

Would be better written as "The total number of reported cases in Chonburi now stands at 211. 163 of these are in Banglamung district".

At first glance, it looks like Chonburi has had a massive "spike"!

Edited by sambum