Thailand to receive 2 million doses of Sinovac vaccine in Feb to April

cormanr7

The Sinovac vaccine differs from the mRNA (Pfizer-BionTech, Moderna, Jansen) and viral vector (Astra Zeneca, Sputnik V) vaccines in that it is an 'old-fashioned' inactivated virus preparation. Some data from a phase I/II trial can be found here: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(20)30843-4/fulltext and in an article from the bbc: 'what do we know about the Chinese COVID vaccines?' https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-55212787
Edited by cormanr7
Bangkokpost link removed. Replaced by Thaiger link

Link to Bangkokpost removed as per forum rules.

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

Sinovac will be able to produce 300 million doses a year in its newly built 20,000 sq m production plant, its chairman told state media outlet CGTN.

Like all the other vaccines, it requires two doses, which means it is currently only able to inoculate 150m people a year - just over a tenth of China's population.

Looks like it will take 5-10 years before the world becomes just a bit "normal" again.

9 hours ago, khunpa said:

Sinovac will be able to produce 300 million doses a year in its newly built 20,000 sq m production plant, its chairman told state media outlet CGTN.

Like all the other vaccines, it requires two doses, which means it is currently only able to inoculate 150m people a year - just over a tenth of China's population.

Looks like it will take 5-10 years before the world becomes just a bit "normal" again.

Not so fast. There seems to be a general feeling that 'I get my shots and then all is well forever'. But what if the protection lasts only say one year? Time will tell. 

12 hours ago, mommysboy said:

I'll take what I can in all honesty. 

I'd prefer the Oxford jab.

I'd prefer it not to be the mRNA type, as this is really experimental.  That's the bottom of the list.

So will I. As alluded in an earlier post in another topic, for many there will not be a choice anyway (just confirmed for instance in Singapore:https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/politics/all-vaccinated-against-covid-19-will-get-physical-vaccination-card-cannot-choose) unless they find a private healthcare provider and pay an arm and a leg. 

Thailand to receive 2 million doses of Sinovac vaccine in Feb to April

So…now we’re supposed to buy a vaccine from the same people who created this unholy plague and unleashed it on the world. Yes, of course…this makes perfect sense...what could possibly go wrong?

Edited by Hayduke
  • Like 2

From The Lancet:

"Declaration of interests

QG is an employee of Sinovac Life Sciences. GZ, YaH, WH, WY, and YuH are employees of Sinovac Biotech. All other authors declare no competing interests"

"Discussion

The protective efficacy of CoronaVac remains to be determined."

17 hours ago, 2009 said:

It is being tested by 3rd party countries

Indeed, the Chinese vaccine cannot be tested in China, because they don't have enough Covid to see if it offers any protection.  China achieved essentially Covid-free status through rigorous application of standard public health measures: testing, isolation of positives, and contact tracing.  No Western country has been able to implement these public health measures successfully.  

1 hour ago, cmarshall said:

Indeed, the Chinese vaccine cannot be tested in China, because they don't have enough Covid to see if it offers any protection.  China achieved essentially Covid-free status through rigorous application of standard public health measures: testing, isolation of positives, and contact tracing.  No Western country has been able to implement these public health measures successfully.  

Well Australia has, but they stuffed it up again by allowing some special privileged untested people like airline crew walk around downtown shopping and dining thereby reintroducing the virus causing this recent 2nd wave. And then they keep stuffing up the quarantine by outsourcing the security to security companies who employ dickheads and boofheads and machoman hoons, many of whom aren't even Australians but an assortment of flotsam on temporary visas....but apart from that Australia has done very well. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TSF said:

Well Australia has, but they stuffed it up again by allowing some special privileged untested people like airline crew walk around downtown shopping and dining thereby reintroducing the virus causing this recent 2nd wave. And then they keep stuffing up the quarantine by outsourcing the security to security companies who employ dickheads and boofheads and machoman hoons, many of whom aren't even Australians but an assortment of flotsam on temporary visas....but apart from that Australia has done very well. 

I count Australia and New Zealand as Asian countries.

If you speak Australian, what is a "skip?"

59 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

A sort of Antipodean Lassie?

Like many I'll go with anything apart from Sputnik or Sinovac. But we farang are at the bottom of the food vaccination chain anyway unless we get out the $$$ ????  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cmarshall said:

I count Australia and New Zealand as Asian countries.

There ain't no Australian, it's strine, and a skip is what the  w o g s call us.????

Edited by TSF

56 minutes ago, Crossy said:

A sort of Antipodean Lassie?

Like many I'll go with anything apart from Sputnik or Sinovac. But we farang are at the bottom of the food vaccination chain anyway unless we get out the $$$ ????  

The Oxford is the one I want, it should be readily available globally in the next couple of months, unless Thailand is that far up China's backside they only go for Sinovac and deliberately refuse anything farang.

2 minutes ago, TSF said:

The Oxford is the one I want, it should be readily available globally in the next couple of months, unless Thailand is that far up China's backside they only go for Sinovac and deliberately refuse anything farang.

That is quite possible.....much will depend on brown envelopes.

• Like 1

Update on the vaccine status: it was announced today that Thailand plans to buy another 35 million doses (but no further details, https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/thai-pm-says-government-plans-to-buy-a-further-35-million-vaccine-doses), which would give a total of 67 million. If these follow two dose regimes it would cover less than half of the population.

1 hour ago, cormanr7 said:

Update on the vaccine status: it was announced today that Thailand plans to buy another 35 million doses (but no further details, https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/thai-pm-says-government-plans-to-buy-a-further-35-million-vaccine-doses), which would give a total of 67 million. If these follow two dose regimes it would cover less than half of the population.

Yes but vaccinating only half is not a big issue, even 1 dose gives good protection and now the experts are saying the 2nd dose is best given a few months after the 1st dose, not 2-4 weeks as they first thought. So the best plan is to give as many people the first shot and then there will be sufficient time before the 2nd shots are due to get new supplies ready.