Samut Sakhon confirms another 900 COVID-19 cases

webfact

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Fortunately migrant workers  tend to live and work in fairly confined spheres.

Of course, Thais at these same locations, and by extension their families, are at risk and some of them will be positive as well.

Or maybe unfortunately for the migrant workers. I recall that much was made of a situation in Singapore during the first wave where the significantly higher numbers of Covid-19 infection in migrant labour camps were kept separate from the daily running totals for the general population and use of the word ghetto wasn't unknown. Maybe their official health ministry figures were broken down by demographic but since a lot of people have bookmarked worldometers as their go-to source of 'real numbers', that data isn't so granular.

Some on TV have made noise about Thailand's handling of the segregation of migrant labour from the general population. Some see this as [insert you favorite '-ism' here] but Singapore, that beacon of world freedom used razor wire as well. For security of course. At least the Thai authorities are clearly quantifying the accumulated totals as well as the more precise demographics of these totals. AFAIK worldometers still does the lump sum totals but the numbers they publish are the official Thailand MPH and CCSA numbers that the WHO accepts.

• Like 1

there appears some similarity to singapore in this case with migrant workers,we had so few cases in general pop but hi levels in migrant camps due to the fact theyre crammed in together share facilities etc.they were legal though.i suggest the govt tests the factories with migrant labour and screens the places they live too.this is where to start basically,call singapore!!they will tell u what to do

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, sapson said:
2 hours ago, Jake72 said:

Perhaps it's time to start doing more widespread testing.

Time for that was a year ago!!

Can you name a country that started doing more widespread testing a year ago and is ahead of the curve? AFAIK, right now, Taiwan, Korea and Japan are bringing the shutters down pretty quickly.

China I hear you say? Breaking news...

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3116597/coronavirus-china-raises-alarm-after-63-local-infections-found

Edited by NanLaew
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sapson said:

No no that cant be right ...Thailand has miraculously contained Covid for the last year and should be congratulated on its policies.........just ask many of the thai visa members who also believe the cheques in the post!

So Japan just hit 1500 a cases a day for the first time ever . Have they been lying the whole time to?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

You don't mean it really, the Fat Lady is singing, omg, what will Prayut say.  Oh well Ice cream for all it appears, or as another swan song goes "Turn out the lights, the parties over"......

Hopefully she has an appropriate tune for the big Pray-ute and his follow spot (light for the theatrically challenged) will be de-illuminated by the electricians and exits prompt side and they can bump-out (pack up and put on the trucks) this horrendous failure of a show. 

• Confused 1

55 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

because they brought it into Thailand, possibly deliberately 

OH, you really do sneer.

Thailand should have tested and quarantined everybody entering the country like Australia, New Zealand and many others.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, rupert the bear said:

there appears some similarity to singapore in this case with migrant workers,we had so few cases in general pop but hi levels in migrant camps due to the fact theyre crammed in together share facilities etc.they were legal though.i suggest the govt tests the factories with migrant labour and screens the places they live too.this is where to start basically,call singapore!!they will tell u what to do

Probably get a sweet deal on used razor wire too!

16 minutes ago, MasterBaker said:

test more and you will find more, no wonder Thai numbers were so low with just about 1mln tests for almost a year

So the place has been riddled with covid the whole time yeah? But every single one of them was Asymptomatic? Is that how your conspiracy theory runs? No one in hospital, no one on ventilators just heaps of people walking around with covid for months.

Or is there some nation wide conspiracy you would like to post that shows all the doctors and hospitals that were covering up the true numbers of the pandemic.

The whole world is getting smashed at the moment even Japan just posted 1500 cases a day first time ever so Thailand copped a dose this time as well despite how well they may have done previously. 

Edited by starky
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

The new count announced today was 365 so these new ones will go into tomorrows official figures meaning that it will be well over 1000 cases tomorrow. The highest ever recorded in Thailand in a 24 hour period. 

Out of the 3800 total tested in this blitz on factories in Samut Sakhon 900 are positive giving a positivity rate of around 24%. Thats massive and proof that there is a tragic lack of tests being carried out.

Where do get the 3800 number from? Not doubting, just looking for sources.

6 minutes ago, Mises said:

Test more and you will find more.

Are any of these people actually ill?  I ask this because a positive test is not a 'case', this medical term has been abused all over the English speaking world.  A case is where someone is significantly ill.  What we have here is infections.

Furthermore if they are using the PCR test at anything over 30 amplifications the results are flawed and possibly meaningless.  Dr Mike Yeadon, a former Pfizer director said false positives could be as much as 90%

and that would be the same the world over not just in Thailand!!!!!

11 minutes ago, Mises said:

Test more and you will find more.

Are any of these people actually ill?  I ask this because a positive test is not a 'case', this medical term has been abused all over the English speaking world.  A case is where someone is significantly ill.  What we have here is infections.

Furthermore if they are using the PCR test at anything over 30 amplifications the results are flawed and possibly meaningless.  Dr Mike Yeadon, a former Pfizer director said false positives could be as much as 90%

That's a weird definition of what a 'case ' is but I imagine that like myself, your medical education was maybe from the back of a packet of aspirins?

Very early in this outbreak, it was clearly stated that most of these new positive cases were asymptomatic. I have absolutely no reason to doubt that as they round up several hundred more each day, this is still the case. Using your rather loose medical terminology, ignoring the asymptomatic ie. exhibiting no signs of illness and letting them wander freely in the community, would this not create your real 'cases' of actual sickness?

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

That's a weird definition of what a 'case ' is but I imagine that like myself, your medical education was maybe from the back of a packet of aspirins?

Very early in this outbreak, it was clearly stated that most of these new positive cases were asymptomatic. I have absolutely no reason to doubt that as they round up several hundred more each day, this is still the case. Using your rather loose medical terminology, ignoring the asymptomatic ie. showing no signs of illness and letting them wander freely in the community, would this not create your real 'cases' of actual sickness?

From https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/case

6 : an instance of disease or injury, a case of pneumonia

In answer to your question I would say, maybe or maybe not.  My own view based on March on last year is not.  Whatever held back cases then (people actually ill) will do so now as it did then here and in Japan.  Most likely because of higher metabolic health and good levels of vitamins C and D.  Time will tell

Saw a map of Samut Sakhon infections on tv (not this tv). Would love to see it on here or a link. SS was covered in red dots. Not just amphur muang, the whole province. I escaped from there Monday. Now keeping a low profile elsewhere. 

2 minutes ago, mekongsailor said:

YES!! We are all descending into the depths of Dante's Inferno...????????????

Either the ring of fire will come alive, or Johnny Cash will return from the dead and sing "Ring of Fire"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 2long said:

Well if you test lots of people you will get lots of positive results. Do they not think that this flu has been here for ages, but the lack of testing meant low numbers?

Maybe they're using this for other reasons, not just to protect us all!

same old, same old, ignorance. The number to wait for, is the excess deaths, in 2020.  Try to locate the Axios interview with the Dollard J. Trump.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1