I'm writing a personal letter to the owners of Chang Beer.

WineOh

2 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:

No. But I've heard it's similar to the current stuff available. 

Chang Cold Brew 25 year it's weaker 4.8 as I remember and didn't find much different other than a higher price.

I'm Chang beer fan too but agree by weakening it is different.

Chang reduced alcohol level and the amount in the bottle to keep the price down is what I reckon.

As for taste I still find it has a nice twang better than the other regular beers sold.

That said also fine Chang is better tasting if not too ice cold and at a lower temperature. 

Edited by Kwasaki

3 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:

The old Chang has a special place in my heart going back to my backpacker days. ????

I would like them to bring it back as it was the only beer that stood out from the rest.

The rest all taste alike. 

Nothing taste the same as before when you where young fresh and innocent! If something doesnt taste anymore, move on ???? old jungle quote

• Like 2

In the 90s, Chang was anywhere between 6 and 12 % alcohol.

I am a recovered alcoholic and used to drink a lot of Special brew and Tenants Super.

I also drank 2 large bottles of Sang Thip a day.

I used to buy 4 large bottles(there weren't small ones) of Chang for 100 baht and  was plastered after 4 of them. 

Btw, it was disgusting, but I never drank anything for the taste. 

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

It's all brewed by Carlsberg, in a joint venture with the Lao government.

At least they weren't screwed by a brewing company in Thailand (something to do with elephants). They brewed Carlsberg under licence, and apparently under-declared the amount they were brewing.

It went to court - in Thailand of course - and not surprisingly Carlsberg lost big time.

The result was that a senior director of Carlsberg was quoted as saying the company would never set foot in Thailand again.

It was suggested that the reason the Beer Laos brewery is located on the main road between the Friendship Bride and  Vientiane is so the Thais can see it across the Mekong.

The Logo on Carlsberg's Elephant beer, also a strong beer looks exactly like the logo they got on Chang beer and the taste of the old Chang was very similar to the taste of the Carlsberg Elephant Beer. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

The Logo on Carlsberg's Elephant beer, also a strong beer looks exactly like the logo they got on Chang beer and the taste of the old Chang was very similar to the taste of the Carlsberg Elephant Beer. 

Although the Carlsberg elephants at the brewery entrance in Copenhagen came first in 1901:

the Elephant Gates (1901) - Picture of Visit Carlsberg ...

1 hour ago, Liverpoolfan said:
1 hour ago, Phuketshrew said:

Myanmar Premium.

Never had that.

Will have to order some.

Never seen it here in Thailand. We used to drink it at our local "beer station" in Yangon. Needless to say at less than 20 baht for an ice cold glass of draught it went down very well ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Phuketshrew said:

Never seen it here in Thailand. We used to drink it at our local "beer station" in Yangon. Needless to say at less than 20 baht for an ice cold glass of draught it went down very well ????

sounds good mate

6 minutes ago, klauskunkel said:

Reply from Chang:

Dear ChangFan,

We never changed the recipe of our beer, however, we did a big cleaning of our brewing equipment a while back...

That's odd, this is what they sent to me:

Dear onebir,

since the passing of Mildred, the elephant who had long been sole supplier of our secret ingredient, earlier last year, we have been forced to rely on younger, less constipated elephants for supplies of that 'brown gold'. This may have resulted in changes in the flavour (and consistency) or our brew.

Thank you for remaining a loyal consumer of our products, and apologies for the inconvenience,

Chang (It's not the dog's ****locks, it's...) Beer

• Haha 1

Im not a huge drinker let alone a huge beer drinker, id rather a gin or scotch or bourbon,

whenever I was in Thailand, I used to drink Chang and a few other non thai brands

fast fwd a few years, in my country ive been trying a few pale ales that ive become fond of

just recently I saw Chang on sale at my local shop, 5.0% one, bought it

absolutely love it, i honestly didnt remember if it tasted this good in thailand

im sure ill get a few laughs on here, but its my favourite at the moment, that I went back and purchased the remaining on sale

I wonder what the 6.4% one tastes like now, if it exists

Edited by hellohello123

why don't they offer the old recipe and just add 5 baht to the price or a similar fix. Call it elephant beer so there is no confusion.

7 hours ago, JayClay said:

Good luck with that

To pay a cheaper tax on alcohol.

Personally I prefer the new sanitized versions of Chang and Singha. Especially the day after. Though, that said, I also miss the first Singha flavour when off the flight and landed. Also the erratic buzz from the old 'atleast 6.4%' Chang. 

Was bought Tapper recently, in error, brewed by Chang and in my opinion a similar flavour to the old Chang. The OP may care to try one. He may like it. Only in cans, I believe.

3 hours ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

When I was stationed near Dubai in 1970 we used to get Elephant beer, came from Malaysia if I remember right. Came in cans, the ones you had to pierce, and after a few, the can would hit the fan.

7 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:

I want to know exactly why they changed their recipe, lowered the alcohol content and decided to discontinue an excellent beer.

The old Chang was great, at 6.4% ABV I believe and a lovely smooth taste.

This new stuff just doesn't cut it for me.

Too gassy, no real taste and too weak.

If the sole reason to change their product was to avoid tax (which I suspect it was) then surely they can re-release the old drink as kind of like a niche product?

There are other high percent beers available at 7/11 but they just don't taste the same.

The old Chang was my drink of choice when it was in the brown bottle.

Now I never buy it and it's a real shame ???? 

Bring back the old Chang now! 

Burp! Now you just need out of date sauasges! 

6 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

The old Chang’s alcohol quantity varied considerably. Sometime drink three large ones and feel nothing, other times after three I was well on the way. 

We would always stock up when we discovered a “hot batch”. 

Ah yes, the "superchang".  Those were the days.  I miss them as well.  Remember when they brought out the new one and you would get served an old.  It was like Christmas.

48 minutes ago, hellohello123 said:

just recently I saw Chang on sale at my local shop, 5.0% one, bought it

absolutely love it, i honestly didnt remember if it tasted this good in thailand

I'd go and get tested for Covid-19. Clearly you have lost any sense of taste .....????

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I think you mean Chang Lager. Chang isn't beer, despite any label.

The main difference is the brewing process. Beer is top fermenting. Lager is bottom fermenting.

(No it wasn't a joke regarding 'bottom fermenting' after you've drunk it!)

Maybe you mean ale?  Beer is these days the generic term for many styles of brewing. 

8 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:

the big change came when they changed from brown to green bottles and lowered the alcohol content to 5%.

It happened around 2015 I think.

Having waited nearly 6 years to write the missive, it is quite possible that your request will be ignored as you have put up with the rubbish stuff without putting pen to paper.