A Year in the Life of a Swimming Pool

Pilotman

I've just invested in a temporary pool until I get a proper one done next year.

I love it.

One of those Intex ones, circular.

I chlorinate it once a week and i'm forever cleaning the mozzies and grass out.

• Like 1

They are definitely a labor of love, they remind me of the aphorism about a boat being a hole in the water one pours money into.

Me, I'm waiting for the weather to warm up a bit so I can get back in the condo pool. Someone else's problem.

• Like 1

OP, I can relate having owned  places in Australia with pools, it can be a fulltime job and can end up costing a couple of dollars.

The best thing I ever did was pay a pool guy, I found it actually can save you money. A good pool guy keeps all the chemicals balanced etc and you dont up up with the extra costs of super dosing it to get back in balance, fighting algae etc.

Is it a salt water pool ? I found that makes for less maintenance

• Like 2

I pay 2500 baht per month thats including chemicals and they come twice a week, certain times of the year when the wind is blowing a certain direction I have this big tree out the back, loads land in the pool, I just get them out before they drop to the bottom and some end up in the skimmer box.

• Like 2

After the first year living in Thailand mine became an ornament come dog bowl . Companies are ok for cleaning but get to a point they just don’t care or bother cleaning it properly so get fired then hire a new one and the cycle continues .

If I was to build a new house again I wouldn’t bother with the pool but would put in a large jacuzzi . Find sitting in the jacuzzi more enjoyable.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/9/2021 at 8:18 PM, Peterw42 said:

OP, I can relate having owned  places in Australia with pools, it can be a fulltime job and can end up costing a couple of dollars.

The best thing I ever did was pay a pool guy, I found it actually can save you money. A good pool guy keeps all the chemicals balanced etc and you dont up up with the extra costs of super dosing it to get back in balance, fighting algae etc.

Is it a salt water pool ? I found that makes for less maintenance

Yes combined with a salt water chlorinator and a sand filter maintenance is reduced to minimum, noticed some pools in thailand don't have a skimmer box which is invaluable in cleaning the insect population from the surface.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ronaldo0 said:

After the first year living in Thailand mine became an ornament come dog bowl . Companies are ok for cleaning but get to a point they just don’t care or bother cleaning it properly so get fired then hire a new one and the cycle continues .

If I was to build a new house again I wouldn’t bother with the pool but would put in a large jacuzzi . Find sitting in the jacuzzi more enjoyable.

My pool has a UV system, so no playing around with chemicals, bar one chlorine tablet a week dropped into the filter. Yes, cleaning is a chore, but in perspective, its around 20 minutes a week to do it properly.  I also have a pool robot to do some of the cleaning on a twice weekly basis.  Sometimes its a bind, but I would not be without it. 

10 hours ago, Susco said:

I have a 11 x 5.5 meter pool for the past 9 years.

It has a salt water chlorination system, so very low maintenance as no chemicals needed, and vacuum it once a week.

To top it up, which is at this time of the year on average once every 7 - 10 days,  I only have to open the valve in the pump house for 20 minutes, as it is directly connected to the water pump.

I have drainage connected to the main drain at one side of the pool, which is a levelled to that side on purpose, so in rain season excess water automatically gets drained

Vacuum it once a week, never have had algae or dragon flies in it, and no pool boy has ever been near it.

I admit I rarely swim in it, but some planning when you build a pool goes a long way

how far are you from Jungle?  I am about 150 metres on two sides so I'm sure that influences the insect issue.  Funnily enough, the house never seems to get insects into it.  Odd that. 

3 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

how far are you from Jungle?  I am about 150 metres on two sides so I'm sure that influences the insect issue.  Funnily enough, the house never seems to get insects into it.  Odd that. 

Not sure what defines jungle, but my property is at 3 sides surrounded by farm land and palm trees, and at the front has a paved road with more farmland and palm trees at the other side of the road.

I get plenty of dragon flies above the pool certain periods of the year, but they never end up inside the pool

2 minutes ago, Susco said:

Not sure what defines jungle, but my property is at 3 sides surrounded by farm land and palm trees, and at the front has a paved road with more farmland and palm trees at the other side of the road.

I get plenty of dragon flies above the pool certain periods of the year, but they never end up inside the pool

Lucky you.  For about a month I seem to fishing hundreds of them out of the pool every day.  Out of interest, is your pool chlorinated?  Mine is a UV fresh water system, so maybe that influences them, not sure.   

Just now, Pilotman said:

Lucky you.  For about a month I seem to fishing hundreds of them out of the pool every day.  Out of interest, is your pool chlorinated?  Mine is a UV fresh water system, so maybe that influences them, not sure.   

My pool has a saltwater chlorination system.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Pilotman said:

My pool has a UV system, so no playing around with chemicals, bar one chlorine tablet a week dropped into the filter. Yes, cleaning is a chore, but in perspective, its around 20 minutes a week to do it properly.  I also have a pool robot to do some of the cleaning on a twice weekly basis.  Sometimes its a bind, but I would not be without it. 

Sounds what I need . What’s the price of a decent system ? I have no problem doing the cleaning part , just all the chemicals etc I can’t be doing with ????

1 hour ago, ronaldo0 said:

Sounds what I need . What’s the price of a decent system ? I have no problem doing the cleaning part , just all the chemicals etc I can’t be doing with ????

not sure because it came with the pool, but i don't think the systems are too expensive,. maybe google can help. If I recall, a new Chlorinator is around 30,000, and a UV system is comparably priced, but I'm just guessing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

not sure because it came with the pool, but i don't think the systems are too expensive,. maybe google can help. If I recall, a new Chlorinator is around 30,000, and a UV system is comparably priced, but I'm just guessing. 

Thanks . Will look into it and will try find a pool company who knows what they are and are recommended where I stay . ????????

1 hour ago, ronaldo0 said:

Thanks . Will look into it and will try find a pool company who knows what they are and are recommended where I stay . ????????

I can put you in touch with my chap, very trustworthy,, just PM me. 

Op, didn't read all replies, but an auto-cover would solve a lot of your problems - takes most environmentals out of the equation. Would not entertain owning a pool without one, along with an auto-doser + flocculent dosing setup... bagwain knows what I'm talking about.

3 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Op, didn't read all replies, but an auto-cover would solve a lot of your problems - takes most environmentals out of the equation. Would not entertain owning a pool without one, along with an auto-doser + flocculent dosing setup... bagwain knows what I'm talking about.

Thanks Dave.

Personally UV Is unnecessary. Yes they kill bateria & viruses if they are a good brand with a crystal bulb. Chinese & Thai ones are typically glass & don't do a good job due to the wrong frequency! They also need cleaning regularly with alchohol to take of the biofilm which builds up.There is no residual sanitiser left in the water so the kill only happens at the bulb. Pilotman gets away with a tablet of Tric-Chlor which gives the pool the sanitising residual & this does most of the job. If it is a small pool this is fine.Floculation system is way over the top with a domestic pool and very expensive. Pool covers are hard to get in Thailand and a good one will cost an arm & a leg!

As mention already "Salt Chlorination" is the best way to keep a pool in tip top condition. at around 30 K you will only be geting a Chinese made one. Do this at your own risk. Many people have had bad experiences with cheap brands. Parts are expensive and they don't like the constant humidity! I only deal in PuraPool brand. Arguably the best on the market. 100% Australian made with extended warranties. They are bulletproof! 

PM me if you would like more info etc

On 1/21/2021 at 9:02 AM, Bagwain said:

Thanks Dave.

Personally UV Is unnecessary. Yes they kill bateria & viruses if they are a good brand with a crystal bulb. Chinese & Thai ones are typically glass & don't do a good job due to the wrong frequency! They also need cleaning regularly with alchohol to take of the biofilm which builds up.There is no residual sanitiser left in the water so the kill only happens at the bulb. Pilotman gets away with a tablet of Tric-Chlor which gives the pool the sanitising residual & this does most of the job. If it is a small pool this is fine.Floculation system is way over the top with a domestic pool and very expensive. Pool covers are hard to get in Thailand and a good one will cost an arm & a leg!

As mention already "Salt Chlorination" is the best way to keep a pool in tip top condition. at around 30 K you will only be geting a Chinese made one. Do this at your own risk. Many people have had bad experiences with cheap brands. Parts are expensive and they don't like the constant humidity! I only deal in PuraPool brand. Arguably the best on the market. 100% Australian made with extended warranties. They are bulletproof! 

PM me if you would like more info etc

Bagwain is spot on the money.

A continually dosing floc system will not work correctly on domestic pools as the dosing is based on a continual flow through the filters 24/7 ( poly aluminum chloride) PAC

not only that it will clog up the filter leading increased back washing and possible damage to the filter, by all means use a clarifier or flocculant when only necessary .

Uv is a fantastic form of primary disinfection but not suitable for domestic pools as it only  works 100%  if the pool circulation is run 24/7 as the effective  kill is only good as when  the water passes the lamp.

The lamps should be housed in a quartz glass sleeve so as to allow full transmisity of the UV light normal glass is not any good.

As said the quartz glass housing has to be cleaned regularly once every say 3 months, and lamps changed every 5 ... 9 thousand hours to ensure full disinfection.

Also a residual of at least .5 ppm of free chlorine must be in the pool to prevent any cross infection.

If you require any further info on UV disinfection please contact me by pm Have over 25 years experience of using UV as a pool disinfection all be it in a commercial pool application

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/7/2021 at 6:34 PM, thailandbeachisland said:

so funny how many people I know who pay for a pool maintenance when they actually put 1 foot inside once a year...

of course, how do you want to swim in such a ridiculous size pool ?!

who says want to swim in it?

just jump in, float and drink margharitas for a couple of hours lol

godsend in hot season ????

• Like 2